Property tax needs to be repealed / abolished NOW! (Morgan Co info here)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Maybe you should rant at the real culprit, the people who vote for this. It is our government, the government the people voted for. When given a chance to specifically vote for or against school tax increases 60% pass. It’s not all government, it is the people’s fault…
    Not really. People are gaslit into voting like they do, and I suppose you could just say it's their fault for being gaslit. Here's the thing. People are hackable. Without doubt, you've been hacked. We all have. It's why advertising works. It's why campaign ads work. I think we have a lot less choice about who our elected leaders are than most people think.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    They do but they won’t, they like how it is…
    Because few stop to consider how it should be. Tax withholding from paychecks being a prime example. I'm betting the thinkers in our society at the time had a big problem with it but since politicians give two ****s about what the citizens think they did it anyway. Now it's completely normal and when I bring it up people look at me as if I'm questioning reality or something. It shouldn't be the way it is and if it were changed we would see one hell of a lot more demand for accountability of where our tax dollars go.

People are content with lots of things they wouldn't be if they weren't too busy chasing the almighty dollar to consider things from a different perspective.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    They do but they won’t, they like how it is…
    I suppose some do. But look at it this way. Say you have a choice between a bat **** crazy communist, or a neocon who promises they won't take your guns away, but, they also like taxes almost as much as Democrats do. So you have to pick what you care about most.

You didn't vote for more taxes. You voted not to lose your gun rights. But got the higher taxes anyway. People don't have the agency you think they do.

Did you vote for GWB? Then you voted for the housing bubble leading up to the 2008 crash. It's your fault. It was Democrat policies that started things off, but Bush kept the policies and expanded them, because that's what compassionate conservatism (AKA neocon) is.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I think we have a lot less choice about who our elected leaders are than most people think.
    We elect puppets, at the federal level at least. "We the people" gave up power decades ago and we will never get it back.

We're too busy as a society chasing the evil, make believe (take your pick - racists, bigots, chauvinists, transphobes, homophobes, Christians, conservatives, etc.) which are "threatening us all" to see who the actual creators of most of our problems are. They stay busy constantly throwing **** at each other in congress, exposing all of the criminal behavior and nothing ever happens to any of them.

They've wasted trillions on military spending to line the pockets of their overlords while simultaneously ensuring 50% of the rest of the planet justifiably believes us the most evil nation to ever exist by killing millions around the world.

They further bankrupt the country every year. Nothing happens.
    They violate the Constitution by censoring Americans. Nothing happens.
    They fabricate a Russia hoax, lie to the American people, spend millions on an "investigation". Nothing happens.

Yet, fall behind in your taxes and see what happens.

The only people happy with the system are either ignorant or complete ****ing idiots.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Sounds like good grounds for an appeal, lots of complaints on here but who has actually appealed their property taxes? Anyone even contacted their representatives?
    I did (appealed). They reduced it and since they were so far behind (I had filed 2 appeals and yes I made the deadlines and the govt was later in responding than they should have been by law) that when they did it, they retro'd it back for a couple of years (and yes I'm aware property tax is paid in arrears but they went back an additional year).

Assessment has continued to increase over time but basically knocked it back a bit.

Flash-hider

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    Because few stop to consider how it should be. Tax withholding from paychecks being a prime example. I'm betting the thinkers in our society at the time had a big problem with it but since politicians give two ****s about what the citizens think they did it anyway. Now it's completely normal and when I bring it up people look at me as if I'm questioning reality or something. It shouldn't be the way it is and if it were changed we would see one hell of a lot more demand for accountability of where our tax dollars go.
    I have maintained that if people had to write a check out to the IRS for taxes owed the tax revolt would have happened years ago. But all people see is some deductions on their check stub and don't feel the pain that it is actually money being pulled from their pocket.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have maintained that if people had to write a check out to the IRS for taxes owed the tax revolt would have happened years ago. But all people see is some deductions on their check stub and don't feel the pain that it is actually money being pulled from their pocket.
    Which is precisely why its done the way it is. To keep the peasants from thinking about it and simply accepting it as normal. Very effective.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Which is precisely why its done the way it is. To keep the peasants from thinking about it and simply accepting it as normal. Very effective.
    Well, that is part of why. It also helps the .gov actually get the money a lot more easily. There are a lot of people that would not pay on time or at all. We'd have a lot more people in jail without it. :):

Flash-hider

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    Well, that is part of why. It also helps the .gov actually get the money a lot more easily. There are a lot of people that would not pay on time or at all. We'd have a lot more people in jail without it. :):
    They'd probably have to hire an additional 81,000 IRS agents to go after them.

• Haha
    Reactions: KLB

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I suppose some do. But look at it this way. Say you have a choice between a bat **** crazy communist, or a neocon who promises they won't take your guns away, but, they also like taxes almost as much as Democrats do. So you have to pick what you care about most.

You didn't vote for more taxes. You voted not to lose your gun rights. But got the higher taxes anyway. People don't have the agency you think they do.

Did you vote for GWB? Then you voted for the housing bubble leading up to the 2008 crash. It's your fault. It was Democrat policies that started things off, but Bush kept the policies and expanded them, because that's what compassionate conservatism (AKA neocon) is.
    Not really. People are gaslit into voting like they do, and I suppose you could just say it's their fault for being gaslit. Here's the thing. People are hackable. Without doubt, you've been hacked. We all have. It's why advertising works. It's why campaign ads work. I think we have a lot less choice about who our elected leaders are than most people think.
    Stop excusing the people, the founders gave us the wheel but the people fail to use as we see best and the people gave up the wheel long before the internet…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

People are content with lots of things they wouldn't be if they weren't too busy chasing the almighty dollar to consider things from a different perspective.
    I get the same looks when I suggest doing away with the withholding process and people write checks for their government like all their other bills. But sadly it probably wouldn’t be much different, the masses would get their pay auto deposit and pay the taxes auto bill pay. They still wouldn’t see it…

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I wouldn't lose much sleep over the government having difficulty stealing money to fund both sides of wars abroad or hand over to the intellectual class via student loan "relief". (Hell of a payoff for decades of dedication in brainwashing our society)

There was a time I supported our government and the unpleasant necessities it requires as I believed they were better than the alternative. I no longer feel that way and I would like nothing more than to see our federal government starved into nonexistence so we can start over and get back to the way things should be.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I get the same looks when I suggest doing away with the withholding process and people write checks for their government like all their other bills. But sadly it probably wouldn’t be much different, the masses would get their pay auto deposit and pay the taxes auto bill pay. They still wouldn’t see it…
    Since direct deposit is the way nowadays, I'd like to see people receive their entire paycheck via deposit then have each and every different tax withdrawn as a separate transaction. That would be an effective middle ground for many.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Stop excusing the people, the founders gave us the wheel but the people fail to use as we see best and the people gave up the wheel long before the internet…
    A couple of points. 1. You’re not in control as much as you think you are. You’re as susceptible to being gaslit by the right as others are being gaslit by the left.

2. You didn’t address the issue in the first post you quoted. You can only vote for one leader. You don’t always, or even rarely do you ever get to vote for a candidate who you agree with on everything. And then when you think you are, you’re gaslit into agreeing with things you wouldn’t have agreed with otherwise. When is the last time we had the opportunity to vote for someone who is fiscally responsible? Trump isn’t. But he’s more fiscally responsible than the Democrats. Exactly when did you vote for the candidate that fought for taxes done right? Never? Is it your fault that you never have? No. You get the choices you get and you vote for the closest to ideal that is available.

ETA: a third point: there was gaslighting long before there was an internet.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I get “funny looks” when I use auto bill pay to pay certain bills. As if no one does that.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    A couple of points. 1. You’re not in control as much as you think you are. You’re as susceptible to being gaslit by the right as others are being gaslit by the left.

2. You didn’t address the issue in the first post you quoted. You can only vote for one leader. You don’t always, or even rarely do you ever get to vote for a candidate who you agree with on everything. And then when you think you are, you’re gaslit into agreeing with things you wouldn’t have agreed with otherwise. When is the last time we had the opportunity to vote for someone who is fiscally responsible? Trump isn’t. But he’s more fiscally responsible than the Democrats. Exactly when did you vote for the candidate that fought for taxes done right? Never? Is it your fault that you never have? No. You get the choices you get and you vote for the closest to ideal that is available.

ETA: a third point: there was gaslighting long before there was an internet.
    The use of the word “you” in this quoted post has no corresponding “me” or “I” in the post quoted. My post said “the people” and they certainly do have every option to have fiscally responsible choices but they fail to do so resulting in the outcome described in this quoted post…

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The use of the word “you” in this quoted post has no corresponding “me” or “I” in the post quoted. My post said “the people” and they certainly do have every option to have fiscally responsible choices but they fail to do so resulting in the outcome described in this quoted post…
    In uses WRT human nature, “you” is used rhetorically. However some uses were specific to circumstances. For example, you being susceptible to gaslighting on the right. Everyone who is not suspicious of those on their own side are susceptible to gaslighting. We’re naturally suspicious of the other side. We think they’re lying before we have any facts. We also trust those on our side before we have any facts.

So. I noticed that you did not answer the question. Who was your last completely fiscally responsible choice? I ask because there aren’t any. They’ll talk about it, but they won’t do it. Instead we vote for people we think are on our side, on the most important issues.

And you, not just rhetorically “you”, sit there and blame people for voting for imperfect people, as you are forced by circumstances to do the same. In reality, every vote is a vote for least evil, which still results in some evil.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    Last year I used Google Earth to plot the acreage on my property. I was researching something else but noticed the acreage totaled less than what the property deeds said it should be.

I used the state's program, similar to Google Earth, and got an identical total. It was about 4% less land than the deeds stated.

After multiple calls we figured it out. Interstate 74 cuts along the edge of my property. In the early 1960s the land was appropriated for the highway but never removed from the deeds. I had the land acreage adjusted and should see a small decrease in my property tax this year. The state mapping director said the same problem, with all types of roads, effects many people in the country and they're unaware of it. The county doesn't know what to do about it is probably disincentivised to advertise it.

It's a small decrease but I'll pay a bit less in property tax every year going forward. And, it's less money for the politicians.

If your property has an adjacent road, especially in interstate it might be worth taking a look.

Top Bottom