Property tax needs to be repealed / abolished NOW! (Morgan Co info here)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    You act as if those complaining don't have a cause to complain about. That they should just make more money. And that shows you have no ability to think outside of your own circumstances. Makes me think you're probably fairly young. If that's the case, maybe life will beat some sense into you. Or if you're old, and you still have that thinking, that you've never had life slap you silly.
    Many here have a cause to complain about and it's all fine and dandy to do it here, but what change will come about?

If they truly are impacted, find the right venue to demand change. 28 states have it worst than we do, yet many act like our system is suddenly broken.

You're missing the point I'm trying to make. To many have the woe is me attitude. Don't just complain, do something about it!

Make more money, cut expenses, etc...

Stop trying to keep up with the joneses, etc...

If you're retired, your house should be paid for, limiting your expenses. But I'd bet that many more people have made poor life choices vs those that had life thrown at them...

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    You make these general statements, based on people's intentionally hyperbolic reactions to the system as it is. I don't benefit from property taxes at all. I do benefit from some of the services that I pay for. Worth every penny? No. But that's not the point. If the county just sent me a monthly bill for my share of the burden that pays for government, I'd have the same benefit. And the burden wouldn't be tightly coupled to surges in housing inflation, which has nothing to do with the cost of government.
    So you do benefit or you don't? You said both.
    The system is not made to benefit all. If it were, people on fixed incomes, who spent their lives scraping by, paying off their mortgages, so they could live in their homes when they can no longer work, wouldn't be the losers. And the fact that there is no way to cut out particular properties, demonstrates the underlying problem with using property as something to tax to fund government.

Government should not make life harder for people. Government should not intentionally or incidentally pick winners and losers. And it does for some folks who own their own property. Government should be small enough to not get in people's way, other than things like they get behind a salt truck and complain that the salt is getting all over their cars.
    It's the "system" and government. Are you surprised? Sounds like you'd like to live in a world that doesn't exist.

Me, I'll try to figure out how to live my best life in the system we're in.

2owhj2.jpg

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Many here have a cause to complain about and it's all fine and dandy to do it here, but what change will come about?

If they truly are impacted, find the right venue to demand change. 28 states have it worst than we do, yet many act like our system is suddenly broken.

You're missing the point I'm trying to make. To many have the woe is me attitude. Don't just complain, do something about it!

Make more money, cut expenses, etc...

Stop trying to keep up with the joneses, etc...

If you're retired, your house should be paid for, limiting your expenses. But I'd bet that many more people have made poor life choices vs those that had life thrown at them...
    So people should cut expenses so the govt can have more? Limit your expenses everyone. The county needs marble flooring for the courthouse! And we need a new water park that will never pay for itself! That jail we built 20 years ago? Its old we need new! The inmates need cable TV! Schools need astro turff for kids to play football on! Think of the children. Everyone just stop being middle class and be rich so ya won't mind paying taxes!!!

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Oh. That post wasn't whining. That was a total dismantling of your attitude. I understand why you chose to dismiss it rather than rebutting it. It was spot on.
    No, it was mostly whining. But we are still allowed to do that (for now). I mean, I made a statement that points out the majority of people have no idea what their taxes pay for, which I think we can all agree on. But that means "yes we're all idiots." No, that's jumping to hyperbole because you're angry.

We've all said this, none of us like property taxes. Some of us have unrealistic goals that we shouldn't pay any taxes and apparently have no gov't at all. The 1% cap was put into place 16 years ago. It took ***hole municipalities 16 years to figure out a way to manipulate the system. Well, another way to manipulate it. The first was to annex every piece of property they could to collect taxes from. When that stopped working (because the morons are short sighted, annex property, you have to provide services. Start in the hole, it ain't gonna get better) they started jacking values. When people started protesting and filing corrections, that slowed down. Then the feds stepped in with millions of new undocumented people needing housing, rampant inflation and raising home values.... it's a windfall for those previous ***holes brought to you by the fed ***holes.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    So people should cut expenses so the govt can have more? Limit your expenses everyone. The county needs marble flooring for the courthouse! And we need a new water park that will never pay for itself! That jail we built 20 years ago? Its old we need new! The inmates need cable TV! Schools need astro turff for kids to play football on! Think of the children. Everyone just stop being middle class and be rich so ya won't mind paying taxes!!!
    Jesus.... you just can't have a reasonable conversation about this. I tried. I'm out.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So you do benefit or you don't? You said both.
    I did not say both. I said I don't benefit from property taxes. That means that using property taxes as the determinant for how much I pay provides no benefit above what I pay. Do you see the difference? I guess I could try to simulate crayons next time.

It's the "system" and government. Are you surprised? Sounds like you'd like to live in a world that doesn't exist.

Me, I'll try to figure out how to live my best life in the system we're in.
    I'm not surprised that the system government concocted was not made to benefit all. And that was the sentiment I was rebutting: that the system was made to benefit all. So I guess we're in agreement on that?

Now about the world you think I live in. It looks to me like you're quite satisfied to live in the world that exists today. I understand the world that exists today and I have some suggestions for how it could be better. But you haven't posted in a way that makes me confident that you think there's anything that needs changed about it.

You and Mike both vigorously defend the way it is, and then retreat to the comfort of, "I'm only explaining things" when you're challenged. If that's not the case, I think you wouldn't support statements like "the system is made to benefit all". When obviously it's not made for that.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Bless your little heart.

Only an uneducated embcile would say this.
    Truth hurts I see.

You do nothing but deflect, dodge, repeat, and ignore. It's a pattern with you in every thread you disagree with people in.

Here's a little tidbit for you. Porter County's budget has about 150K in it for soil and water. The most expensive category is Commissioners at over $10m. That is out of a $45m budget.

I'm done engaging with you in this thread. You idiocy is just on a loop again.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No, it was mostly whining.
    I'll grant that it's a matter of opinion, but it was a spot on rebuttal to MIke's continued nonsense. In my opinion.

But we are still allowed to do that (for now). I mean, I made a statement that points out the majority of people have no idea what their taxes pay for, which I think we can all agree on. But that means "yes we're all idiots." No, that's jumping to hyperbole because you're angry.
    I don't think that people have no idea what their taxes pay for, and that it's a facile claim. You see a lot of intentional and even unintentional hyperbole in this thread by several posters who are angry about it.

The bit in that post about "yes, we're all idiots" isn't hyperbole. It's obviously sarcasm, to make the point that Mike thinks that the reason so many people disagree with him is that it must be their fault, that they must all be idiots.

We've all said this, none of us like property taxes. Some of us have unrealistic goals that we shouldn't pay any taxes and apparently have no gov't at all. The 1% cap was put into place 16 years ago. It took ***hole municipalities 16 years to figure out a way to manipulate the system. Well, another way to manipulate it. The first was to annex every piece of property they could to collect taxes from. When that stopped working (because the morons are short sighted, annex property, you have to provide services. Start in the hole, it ain't gonna get better) they started jacking values. When people started protesting and filing corrections, that slowed down. Then the feds stepped in with millions of new undocumented people needing housing, rampant inflation and raising home values.... it's a windfall for those previous ***holes brought to you by the fed ***holes.

And this isn't a reason to complain? This isn't a reason to slaughter their cash cow? No. Let's slaughter that ************ and make steaks and cheeseburgers.

Give me a logical reason why nouns of possession must be taxed, and that it must be the only way. And don't give me, because it's always been that way. That's a failure of logic.

Send me a ****ing bill based on my consumption. I'll even grant, somewhat according to people's ability to pay, but just such that it doesn't cause undue burden in people's life. You can say that's not possible because the powers that be won't stand for it. Well no. They won't. Does that mean I have no right to protest?

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I've posted about what I thought was an ideal tax system. I called it the put-your-money-where-your-mouth-is tax system. Based on flat rate income tax. No deductions. Everyone pays. But that only funds the constitutional expenses for government. Anything more you have to check a box on your tax bill and pay the extra amount for that government program.

**** that. Consumption based taxes. Add up the cost of "constitutional" government. Divide it by the number of people who consume it. And that's their tax bill. If people want to fund more. Cut a bigger check. Obviously not everyone can afford the government they consume. So people would be able to apply for exemptions so that they pay what they can afford.

There's nothing magical about property, personal or real; or income, or business profit, or whatever resources a person or company or other organization has, that has any reasonable correlation to the cost of government.

If taxes are for the purpose of funding government, THAT's the thing that is taxed. Not your house. Your boats. Your cars. Your purchases. Consumption of government should be taxed.

But then we'd naturally shrink government. And we can't have that. Because DRAINAGE! :laugh6:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    No, it was mostly whining. But we are still allowed to do that (for now). I mean, I made a statement that points out the majority of people have no idea what their taxes pay for, which I think we can all agree on. But that means "yes we're all idiots." No, that's jumping to hyperbole because you're angry.

The Counties now have income tax to make up for that limit on property tax, so we get to pay in two ways now.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I pay floyd county income tax and I pay property tax. All I care about is which one funds drainage. :):

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I've posted about what I thought was an ideal tax system. I called it the put-your-money-where-your-mouth-is tax system. Based on flat rate income tax. No deductions. Everyone pays. But that only funds the constitutional expenses for government. Anything more you have to check a box on your tax bill and pay the extra amount for that government program.

**** that. Consumption based taxes. Add up the cost of "constitutional" government. Divide it by the number of people who consume it. And that's their tax bill. If people want to fund more. Cut a bigger check. Obviously not everyone can afford the government they consume. So people would be able to apply for exemptions so that they pay what they can afford.

There's nothing magical about property, personal or real; or income, or business profit, or whatever resources a person or company or other organization has, that has any reasonable correlation to the cost of government.

If taxes are for the purpose of funding government, THAT's the thing that is taxed. Not your house. Your boats. Your cars. Your purchases. Consumption of government should be taxed.

But then we'd naturally shrink government. And we can't have that. Because DRAINAGE! :laugh6:
    I'm all for this. But it's not realistic! Figure out how to change the system or win within it...

I've paid way to much in taxes on vehicles and boats. But I'm blessed to be able to afford to do so.

Sounds like you're fed up and should run for local gov't. Brownsburg built a new splash pad and it's constantly down for maintenance and they're gunning for a pool!

Who wants to cut expenses? I said that or make more money, or do both! Or, change the damn system.

You can ***** and moan, run for office to change it, implore your reps to change it, or figure out how to win in the current system.

It seems you'll take option 1.

I've spoken to my local reps many times. With one, every email I send results in a return phone call.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I'm all for this. But it's not realistic! Figure out how to change the system or win within it...

I've paid way to much in taxes on vehicles and boats. But I'm blessed to be able to afford to do so.

Sounds like you're fed up and should run for local gov't. Brownsburg built a new splash pad and it's constantly down for maintenance and they're gunning for a pool!

Who wants to cut expenses? I said that or make more money, or do both! Or, change the damn system.

You can ***** and moan, run for office to change it, implore your reps to change it, or figure out how to win in the current system.

I've spoken to my local reps many times. With one, every email I send results in a return phone call.
    Oh ill bitch and moan and lay out like I have ways to cut spending by the govt so they don't feel the need to tax my property. I'll continue to co tact my reps and try and talk to their deaf ears. Run for office? How many actual blue collar people are in the state legislation? How many? You gotta have money and be connected. So ill do what I do. I talk to co workers and friends and family all who are hit with stupid property taxes and assessed try and rally them to the cause. But again congrats to you and the others who don't feel the hit of taxes

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

I am out of discussion with those that do not even believe they receive benefits for their property, don’t know what is part of property tax vs federal tax, and refuse to try to understand even when links are provided from the state website.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I am out of discussion with those that do not even believe they receive benefits for their property, don’t know what is part of property tax vs federal tax, and refuse to try to understand even when links are provided from the state website.
    Oh. Okay. But don’t take the football with you. It’s not yours.

Top Bottom