Marijuana user cannot be banned from gun ownership...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobertIN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2024
    West Harrison
    Nothing changes for me. Same as alcohol. I smell it, no gun. What you put on the form is between you , God and the FBI.
    Agreed. Don't care what you choose to do for leisure just don't do it with a firearm. It's ridiculous that weed is illegal anyway. Never in my life have I heard of a person smoking a joint and deciding to start a brawl.

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    I honestly couldn't care any less about this. Anyone who knows anything understands that marijuana is no more dangerous than alcohol, nicotine or caffeine. It is far less dangerous than many of the drugs your doctor will prescribe and you can pick up from Kroger/CVS/rite-aid.

It's not a gateway drug, it's not a hard drug, it's not a dangerous drug. An alcoholic with a gun is far more unstable and frightening than a pothead with a gun.

It was made illegal for exactly two reasons. 1. Hemp is an amazing plant that does the work of cotton better than cotton and some of the work of lumber better than lumber. The powers that be of that era were heavily invested in cotton and lumber. 2. At the time a majority of people who smoked cannabis were blacks and mexicans, very easy to demonize in an era where racism was the norm.

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm pretty sure they could develop a blood test for it, but (and I may be off base here), I thought federal law prohibited a lot of research for anything marijuana-related. I don't know if that would include finding a method to measure for it like they do for alcohol.
    I don't know about a federal law, but I don't believe they can yet establish levels and give a test to say over a certain level means you're too stoned.

What got me on this line of thinking was a case from several years ago when a man was in an accident, there was a fatality, so they gave him a drug and alcohol test.

He tested positive for marijuana "metabolites", but insisted he wasn't high when the wreck occurred.
    The Prosecutor even said in the trial that it DIDN'T MATTER whether the Defendant was high or not.
    ALL the law says is if he has metabolites in his system, it was a crime, and he was sentenced to prison.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't know about a federal law, but I don't believe they can yet establish levels and give a test to say over a certain level means you're too stoned.

What got me on this line of thinking was a case from several years ago when a man was in an accident, there was a fatality, so they gave him a drug and alcohol test.

He tested positive for marijuana "metabolites", but insisted he wasn't high when the wreck occurred.
    The Prosecutor even said in the trial that it DIDN'T MATTER whether the Defendant was high or not.
    ALL the law says is if he has metabolites in his system, it was a crime, and he was sentenced to prison.
    What a fair and just system.

RobertIN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2024
    West Harrison
    Many decades ago I was bouncer at rowdy bar in Muncie. The pot heads were calm, chill and never a problem.
    The hard drinking guys were entirely different.
    Yup. The most violence I've seen out of stoners is how quickly they destroy a bag of chips, but alcohol is fine... Ridiculous. I want to utilize THC here and there for various ailments but I can't jeopardize my livelihood and I won't lie on a federal form. Meanwhile alcohol nearly ruined my life.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I was wondering how long it would take to have someone compare caffeine to THC and hemp to marijuana.;) MJ might be less dangerous than smart phones when someone is behind the wheel. I think the point here is that MJ is illegal at the federal level. Another point is that nobody should use any drug when handling firearms, period. That includes prescribed medication that negatively affects one's abilities to think and/or their motor skills.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Many decades ago I was bouncer at rowdy bar in Muncie. The pot heads were calm, chill and never a problem.
    The hard drinking guys were entirely different.
    Exactly.
    I've had way more trouble from drunks than potheads.
    My late father in law used to say "when people get drunk, they're either lovers or fighters!".
    And women are just as bad.
    I have a friend whose ex-wife was a nasty, mean drunk.
    She'd get drunk and be pounding on him.
    It wasn't that she could beat him up, no way she ever could.
    It was the idea she acted like that.

Scott58

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    NW indiana
    Filled out the form today. No changes that I noticed other then RK gives you a code you have to type in before you can fill it out. So, that's new.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Don't know why i didn't think of this yesterday....but.. how many soldiers that smoked in Vietnam would there be without rifles?? I'd day probably thousands. How about some of the other "police actions" around that time or after?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Don't know why i didn't think of this yesterday....but.. how many soldiers that smoked in Vietnam would there be without rifles?? I'd day probably thousands. How about some of the other "police actions" around that time or after?
    All I know is that the news media must have really played it up. Within minutes after I got home my father asked me if I was hooked on drugs and kept pressing me even after my initial response of "no". I thought that we would have moved passed this sort of thing by now. All I'll add is "Welcome Home" to all veterans of every conflict on INGO. Thanks for your service during difficult times.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    There are tests that can determine the amount of active thc in the blood. And have been for years. As for a certain level being "too stoned", I'm sure they will pick an arbitrary number just like with alcohol.

Yep, per the IC any detectable amount of metabolites is considered to be OWI. And I believe that applies to all non prescribed drugs not just MJ. Except alcohol of course.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I was wondering how long it would take to have someone compare caffeine to THC and hemp to marijuana.;) MJ might be less dangerous than smart phones when someone is behind the wheel. I think the point here is that MJ is illegal at the federal level. Another point is that nobody should use any drug when handling firearms, period. That includes prescribed medication that negatively affects one's abilities to think and/or their motor skills.
    Caffeine compared to MJ? For death from overdose MJ is much safer. A study involving dogs found the minimum lethal dose was over 3g of thc per kg. For a 150# person that would be about 200g of thc or 800g or 1 3/4 # of high grade 20% the mj. Now compare that to caffeine.

As for comparing hemp and mj, they are the same plant.

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    I challenge anyone to go cold turkey from caffeine for a month. Then drink an espresso or other high dose caffeine drink. You WILL be effed up.

Hemp and cannabis are from the same family. One gets you hi, the other really doesn't. For the general population, uneducated on such matters, illegal is illegal.

Top Bottom