Property tax needs to be repealed / abolished NOW! (Morgan Co info here)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yea. Sorry there rockafeller... some of us do work hard budget and pay our bills, save etc but still can't be the barons of the Midwest as yourself. Like a good majority of people I bought my home I looked at tax history of my house. Looked at how they adjusted over the years. Nothing crazy or that would scream you'll be raped later by assessments. But now the system is completely messed up thanks to govt interference these past few years and the complete bs lie of 1%... assessed by a govt that causesed the prices to skyrocket... so yea, ill bitch and moan and write and call my state rep and bitch and mom and give him suggestions how I think we should change it. But glad you are doing so genuinely well that you it doesnt effect you and the rest of the chamber of commerce
    Welp. At least Mike explained to us the cause for all the housing inflation. Government services made those properties so valuable it caused the property taxes to increase. That's like positive feedback. :):

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Can you at least admit that rural properties consume far less government than urban properties? Property taxes should be far less. But because people in the country often own more land than people in the city, they get taxed more money for fewer consumed services.
    But DRAINAGE!!!!!!!!!!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Really. Good to know. So if no one lives at a property it doesn’t need anything it just sits there pristine as you left it. Doesn't need any if the property services like drainage, fire protection if a cigarette gets tossed on it catches fire, no police for trespassers, no one to manage deeds, no roads to the property, the list goes on.
    Why would a larger home need to pay more for the road used to access their property vs. their neighbor with a smaller home? Let me guess, drainage...
    I am just explaining a system many here don’t lik
    Yes, we're all idiots.
    Look at chapter 3, task 2, step 2, does is not say explicitly “ note the quality of construction and other features that affect the determination of grade, such as the quality of each aspect of the interior“?
    This is farcical.
    You seem to have no foundational knowledge of land, values, and services needed to create value to people.
    Everyone who disagrees with you is stupid. We get it. You have a superior grasp of all aspects relating to asinine property taxes. I'm currently being taxed according to a value that is greater than bank comps. But hey, drainage.
    most people have no idea how it actually works
    Yes, we're all idiots.
    Not one state in this country has zero property tax and those few that are cheaper are not exactly great places to live.
    Well, that makes it ok. Subjectivity can be bliss.
    An interesting thing I learned in this, people really have no idea what their property tax pays for beyond broad concepts.
    Yes, we're all idiots.
    There is no understanding for
    We're idiots.
    There is no understanding of
    Idiots, one and all.
    To use my personal favorite as the example, the county drainage system may not even touch your property in any way you understand but it is there benefiting most if not all property. The owner is not paying for specific drainage, that is the owners responsibility, but the system that moves that water once it leaves is maintained by the county.
    I wonder how the homeowners in Rocky Ripple feel about your superior understanding of drainage benefits... Welcome to the island 'mon.
    Red: This again. We're ignorant.
    Let’s see if we can get some discussion here instead of whining…
    We can't. We're all idiots. You, and only you, can define the discussion that is appropriate.
    Because property ownership requires services to be useful to people.
    Says you. My properties aren't using 15-30% more services year over year. They aren't. Well, unless you say they are, I mean, you're the only one that knows, according to this thread. Good Lord, man.
    I'm A'OK with them having a surplus.
    How much? How much surplus is ok according to you before it's too much? I'll play IM's game, give specifics. If you can't give a number, you don't understand. You don't get it. I get it. You've offered nothing. I understand fully, you just don't understand budgets. What, you don't have drainage? You don't know why the state needs BILLIONS more than they spend? I know why though. You've given alternative but I've determined you don't understand and your alternatives won't work. I said so.
    We did not have kids. So does that mean I can get a refund for all the school money I put in for the last 20+ years?
    What specific benefits did you rec'v from your taxes paid into the school system?
    And the fact folks here have little idea what their tax dollars go for
    We're sorry, IM. We're idiots. You've made it clear that you, and only you, understand the intricacies that define our benefits from paying a property tax that is growing year over year in double digits. Double digit growth, year over year, for a half decade. Did my drainage needs grow at that rate? What is growing year over year at a double digit rate? My mail service? My road maintenance (I live on a private road)? I use the same water, I pay for my sewage, I've made no improvements to my property. I wish I knew what my "tax dollars go for".
    Look at Illinois. THEY have a property tax issue, not us. Compared to the rest of the country, we have nothing to be complaining about.
    Child A gets beat. Child B gets beat less. Boy oh boy, child B has it made in the shade. At least we're not Illinois! That's a hell of ra-ra. I guess since everyone else does it, we should too, just a little bit less.

Look, people *****ed, that's why the pols shammed us with the 1% cap. They had to offer something because property taxes were becoming problmatic politically. So, after much shuffling, they offered us the shell with 1% tax cap. Property taxes are antithetical to freedom. Individual growth in property value holds no correlation to government expense. Increased home value does not increase government expense. Bull****.

Senate Republicans have begun releasing the results from their constituent surveys and property taxes are the clear favorite to cut. Twenty-seven surveys have been posted. Of those, 19 asked this question:

“Lawmakers are working on a long-term plan to improve Indiana’s tax system in the coming years. Which one of these taxes would you most like to see Indiana reduce/eliminate in the future?”

The choices were gas, income, property and sales taxes.

In 18 of those 19 surveys, property taxes were the clear leader. The last was a tie between property and income taxes.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Oh. Well why don't you just make more money? WTF?

I'm not happy about paying property taxes. No one is. Or, Idunno, maybe you're an outlier. But I cut the check for this years tax bill, and I'm thankful to be in a position where it's not a financial hardship. I've been in financial hardships in my life. It's not something everyone can just will themselves out of.

You come off as blaming the people who are complaining about burdensome property taxes for not making as much money as you do, and that if they did, presumably they'd love property taxes as much as you do.

What's worse? Whining about taxes or whining about people whining about taxes? :rolleyes: I submit it's the latter.

These 25 pages of what you think is limited viable solutions is also littered with a lot of chicken **** whining about people expressing legitimate complaints about how the property tax policy affects them.

Contrary to a couple of posters' opinion in this thread, a complaint about how things work do not need to be justified by being accompanied with a solution. People get to say, "This policy sucks, and I'd really like it to change, because it's making my life harder than it needs to be."

And if you don't like to read people complaining about property taxes, it's not like the title of the thread is deceiving. That's why god made the scroll bar on a browser.
    Property tax affects everyone. I'm not happy paying any taxes (including property taxes), but I'm not surprised they are going up.

Rampant inflation is a major cause of this and it wasn't too hard to predict.

And yes, unless you're retired on a fixed income (which is likely just a few in this thread), do something about it. Cut expenses. Make more money. Balance your household budget.

Insurance is also skyrocketing. So for most, it'll be a double whammy. What are you going to do, complain that it's to expensive or find a way to pay it?

Maybe we should just elect this guy?

zzts0prius541.png

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Child A gets beat. Child B gets beat less. Boy oh boy, child B has it made in the shade. At least we're not Illinois! That's a hell of ra-ra. I guess since everyone else does it, we should too, just a little bit less.
    22nd lowest out of the 50 states. Which state doesn't have property taxes so I can move there? A - none of them, they all do!

Look, people *****ed, that's why the pols shammed us with the 1% cap. They had to offer something because property taxes were becoming problmatic politically. So, after much shuffling, they offered us the shell with 1% tax cap. Property taxes are antithetical to freedom. Individual growth in property value holds no correlation to government expense. Increased home value does not increase government expense. Bull****.

Senate Republicans have begun releasing the results from their constituent surveys and property taxes are the clear favorite to cut. Twenty-seven surveys have been posted. Of those, 19 asked this question:

“Lawmakers are working on a long-term plan to improve Indiana’s tax system in the coming years. Which one of these taxes would you most like to see Indiana reduce/eliminate in the future?”

In 18 of those 19 surveys, property taxes were the clear leader. The last was a tie between property and income taxes.
    And per my state Senator, they are going to look into it this year.

Until then, I suspect many folks will complain while others will choose to better their situation...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Either way, tax rates are determined by consumption. Even your precious drainage is consumed. Both individually and collectively.
    This proves you don’t know enough to even complain. Drainage is a system. What you perceive is what years of others work and taxes have achieved and you arrogantly believe you should not pay in to…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Then I believe the public should just cut you off and out. If you do not want the shared benefits and do not believe the benefits you get then you should be put out. I also believe that is short sighted, most have no idea what they benefit from property taxes. But alas the system is made to benefit all and there is no way to cut out particular properties.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yea. Sorry there rockafeller... some of us do work hard budget and pay our bills, save etc but still can't be the barons of the Midwest as yourself. Like a good majority of people I bought my home I looked at tax history of my house. Looked at how they adjusted over the years. Nothing crazy or that would scream you'll be raped later by assessments. But now the system is completely messed up thanks to govt interference these past few years and the complete bs lie of 1%... assessed by a govt that causesed the prices to skyrocket... so yea, ill bitch and moan and write and call my state rep and bitch and mom and give him suggestions how I think we should change it. But glad you are doing so genuinely well that you it doesnt effect you and the rest of the chamber of commerce
    Then put the blame where it belongs at the doorstep of the feds not the local tax system…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Property taxes should certainly not fund schools. Presumably the community benefits from schools in that it educates the leaders of tomorrow. Or some such nonsense.

Public schools will not go away. it's just a fixture for now. I think they need to be funded differently. Maybe have more bake sales? :laugh6:

It's certainly not fair for an elderly couple who don't have as much stake in the future as parent aged adults to have to pay high taxes to pay for schools.
    Fair discussion, now elect representatives that will put this into law…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Why would a larger home need to pay more for the road used to access their property vs. their neighbor with a smaller home? Let me guess, drainage...

Yes, we're all idiots.

This is farcical.

Everyone who disagrees with you is stupid. We get it. You have a superior grasp of all aspects relating to asinine property taxes. I'm currently being taxed according to a value that is greater than bank comps. But hey, drainage.

Yes, we're all idiots.

Well, that makes it ok. Subjectivity can be bliss.

Yes, we're all idiots.

We're idiots.

Idiots, one and all.

I wonder how the homeowners in Rocky Ripple feel about your superior understanding of drainage benefits... Welcome to the island 'mon.
    Red: This again. We're ignorant.

We can't. We're all idiots. You, and only you, can define the discussion that is appropriate.

Says you. My properties aren't using 15-30% more services year over year. They aren't. Well, unless you say they are, I mean, you're the only one that knows, according to this thread. Good Lord, man.

How much? How much surplus is ok according to you before it's too much? I'll play IM's game, give specifics. If you can't give a number, you don't understand. You don't get it. I get it. You've offered nothing. I understand fully, you just don't understand budgets. What, you don't have drainage? You don't know why the state needs BILLIONS more than they spend? I know why though. You've given alternative but I've determined you don't understand and your alternatives won't work. I said so.

What specific benefits did you rec'v from your taxes paid into the school system?

We're sorry, IM. We're idiots. You've made it clear that you, and only you, understand the intricacies that define our benefits from paying a property tax that is growing year over year in double digits. Double digit growth, year over year, for a half decade. Did my drainage needs grow at that rate? What is growing year over year at a double digit rate? My mail service? My road maintenance (I live on a private road)? I use the same water, I pay for my sewage, I've made no improvements to my property. I wish I knew what my "tax dollars go for".

Again, just whining. Hope it makes you feel better…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The founders disagreed with you…

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Then put the blame where it belongs at the doorstep of the feds not the local tax system…
    So they can be like well its not our fault WE (local, state) have to assess it higher... they don't. They can fix it as like everyone has said. Go back to original purchase price. And who writes the laws for this flawed system???

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This proves you don’t know enough to even complain. Drainage is a system. What you perceive is what years of others work and taxes have achieved and you arrogantly believe you should not pay in to…
    Jeez. Talk about arrogance. This proves you don't belong in this conversation. Everyone here understands what their taxes pay for. If I live in a neighborhood with drainage, that storm drain on the curb in front of my house helps me and it helps others. There's an individual part of that and there's a collective part of that.

But I don't live in a neighborhood with drainage. Drainage is for more densely populated areas with lots of streets. So I have no individual or collective stake in it other than it's kinda nice when I drive in the city in a rainstorm, there aren't floods everywhere. Oh wait. That's Louisville, where their city works is as competent as their police department.

At least neighborhood drainage is designed by the developers, and yes, the plans and work have to be approved by municipally employed engineers and inspectors. And that costs money. And that money has to come from taxes. It just doesn't have to be property taxes. Income and property doesn't have to be taxed.

The thing that gets taxed doesn't have to be a noun attached to a person's affluence. Send them a ****ing bill. But make it fair as they can. And consider people's financial hardships. The central state, as Big Red likes to call it, doesn't need to put retired people out of their homes.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Then I believe the public should just cut you off and out. If you do not want the shared benefits and do not believe the benefits you get then you should be put out. I also believe that is short sighted, most have no idea what they benefit from property taxes. But alas the system is made to benefit all and there is no way to cut out particular properties.
    You make these general statements, based on people's intentionally hyperbolic reactions to the system as it is. I don't benefit from property taxes at all. I do benefit from some of the services that I pay for. Worth every penny? No. But that's not the point. If the county just sent me a monthly bill for my share of the burden that pays for government, I'd have the same benefit. And the burden wouldn't be tightly coupled to surges in housing inflation, which has nothing to do with the cost of government.

The system is not made to benefit all. If it were, people on fixed incomes, who spent their lives scraping by, paying off their mortgages, so they could live in their homes when they can no longer work, wouldn't be the losers. And the fact that there is no way to cut out particular properties, demonstrates the underlying problem with using property as something to tax to fund government.

Government should not make life harder for people. Government should not intentionally or incidentally pick winners and losers. And it does for some folks who own their own property. Government should be small enough to not get in people's way, other than things like they get behind a salt truck and complain that the salt is getting all over their cars.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This is a federal problem that is creating a local pain, not a local problem…
    It is a local problem if the local system is impacted by poor decisions at the federal level. People just got a huge property tax increase because housing prices soared while the cost of government didn't. If tax is to pay for government, the amount collected should always reflect the cost of government. Send a bill for the cost of government consumed, both individual and collective costs. That always reflects the cost of government.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Property tax affects everyone. I'm not happy paying any taxes (including property taxes), but I'm not surprised they are going up.

Rampant inflation is a major cause of this and it wasn't too hard to predict.
    Rampant inflation caused a windfall for local governments. I suppose you'd say "AWESOME! **** THOSE POOR HOMEOWNERS WHO DARE NOT MAKE ENOUGH TO PAY FOR IT"?

And yes, unless you're retired on a fixed income (which is likely just a few in this thread), do something about it. Cut expenses. Make more money. Balance your household budget.
    Or, they have every right to demand change. Government should not be the impetus for people to make more money, or cut out expenses. If government is, they're getting in the way. And people have every right to complain.

But another point, the people in the thread who are greatly impacted don't have representation to get things changed. You're not going to speak up. You're comfortable. I'm comfortable too in my situation. I may not always be. You never know what life might throw at you. It might disable you from the kind of income you need to comfortably pay your taxes. It might make it impossible to make more money or balance your budget. Government should not pick winners and losers through policy. It should stay the **** out of the way.

Insurance is also skyrocketing. So for most, it'll be a double whammy. What are you going to do, complain that it's to expensive or find a way to pay it?

Maybe we should just elect this guy?

You act as if those complaining don't have a cause to complain about. That they should just make more money. And that shows you have no ability to think outside of your own circumstances. Makes me think you're probably fairly young. If that's the case, maybe life will beat some sense into you. Or if you're old, and you still have that thinking, that you've never had life slap you silly.

Top Bottom