• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Is it a standard size 1 Din radio? If so the sky is the limit on aftermarket units.
    You might have to break out the dremel.......

EDIT: also does the radio have a cover on it now? Maybe a marine version to keep the water out.

This is the same radio that is currently installed. Like anybody else, I'm not really looking to hit sky-high prices, but I do want something that I can use. The area I'm in picks up NPR, a college station (hippy), and a sports channel. I would like to get XM or synch to my phone to pick up Pandora. Can I stay on the ground for something like that? :):

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      129.3 KB · Views: 10
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      121.1 KB · Views: 6

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    This is the same radio that is currently installed. Like anybody else, I'm not really looking to hit sky-high prices, but I do want something that I can use. The area I'm in picks up NPR, a college station (hippy), and a sports channel. I would like to get XM or synch to my phone to pick up Pandora. Can I stay on the ground for something like that? :):

There are many marine versions of radios, as stated previously, that fit right in to the stock hole in the fairing. A buddy of mine has a Sony installed in his RoadKing with aftermarket fairing and loves it. I recommend if you do the radio do the speakers at the same time while the front is off. The stock speaker stink and you'll want better ones once you get a better stereo, and getting the fairing off of a RG is a pain in the rear (so I have been told by my dad) so I say do it all while you're in there.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

I put a batwing faring on my wife's 2002 Road King. I added a Sony Marine radio that had an opening for the iPod, iPhone, USB Flash drive. You can then close the tray and charge and control the iPhone from the radio. Her bike had four 5" round marine speakers and would blast out great sounding music. It was louder and clearer than my stock speakers on my 2011 Limited. The 2014 bikes now do something like this.

While you have the turtle shell off for the radio install I would add J & M audio speakers in the faring and a quality hidden antenna.

Radio $200 (Crutchfield) Sony DSX-MS60 Marine digital media receiver at Crutchfield.com
    Speakers $100 (J & M audio) J&M Harley Ultra/Street/Electra Glides
    Hidden Antenna $50 (J & M Audio) FPA-HCFM-P Product Information

This is a proven system that we ran for a year before trading it in on a 2014 Street Glide for her.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Radio on a Harley? Should've thought of that before I put the turn out goose neck pipes on. Not only am I not hearing a radio, but anyone within 20 yards isn't hearing one either! But if I were to put one on , Gluemanz sounds like the way to go! $300 to $400 should do it!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Yeah, I want to stay around $500 if possible. I know I can't do the work, so I'll have to find a reputable shop that won't charge an arm and a leg for installation.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

dmonsche

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    I was reminded that I rode this bike some years ago. The owner lost his passion about two years ago and just stopped riding. He's getting into jeeps. I think I'll make him a lower offer and see what he says. Like I said, I'm not a biker or rider and with my move and new job, the riding season is basically over. This will definitely be nice to ride the Virginia mountains in the spring, though.
    PSH! 28 degrees this morning and I rode to work on my 02 softail standard. The riding season NEVER ends

dmonsche

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    Thats really good to know. I want her to learn and to enjoy riding, with her being on the small side (5'5") I was thinking the sporty would be more suited to her. I've ridden several and never really noticed it, but then again, I haven't ridden much since I sold my old GL1000 quite a few years ago.
    From someone who has sold Harleys, If she's interested in a bike have her sit on and test ride a softail slim.

dmonsche

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    You partially right(1st 2 hilights...) Most chics opt fer the Deluxe......lowest seat height in HD's line-up without a lower'n kit.......Dyna's nuth'n more'na glorified Sportster.....but at's jus' me......
    the softail slim is the lowest seat height. comes in at 23.8 inches. the deluxe is about a half inch higher.

dmonsche

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    Well, I'm absolutely loving the bike. I'm hugging the mountains and enjoying the rides. Unfortunately, the bike has the original audio system, with cassette tape. I'm interested in upgrading the audio system and wanted to see if anyone has knowledge in this area? I want to have a system with XM Radio, if possible. I certainly do not need cassette tape capability, but if I could synch to my phone for Pandora, that would be nice. Any ideas what I could possibly go with and what stores can do installation? I would prefer to stay away from the HD dealership, if possible.
    It all depends on what dealership you go to. Not all are bad

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    PSH! 28 degrees this morning and I rode to work on my 02 softail standard. The riding season NEVER ends

Yeah, I've discovered that it's not that bad when there is no snow. We haven't had any snow this year, so far. I will need to find a better pair of gloves, though.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Radio on a Harley? Should've thought of that before I put the turn out goose neck pipes on. Not only am I not hearing a radio, but anyone within 20 yards isn't hearing one either! But if I were to put one on , Gluemanz sounds like the way to go! $300 to $400 should do it!

:):.......Ol' style Samsons (no baffles)on this'n.... 'StreetSweepers'.......ain' nobody rides in my 4,5 o'clock position fer long......'specially on'a big slab @ 80/85.....:):

an' they DO sweep the dang driveway........hahahahahahahaha!.....:):

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Yeah, I've discovered that it's not that bad when there is no snow. We haven't had any snow this year, so far. I will need to find a better pair of gloves, though.

There is still a lot of sand on some roads. I rode in 40 degree weather and the only issue I had were my hands.

Top Bottom