• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I will test ride before I buy, but I couldn't imagine it being any sloppier than the Road Glide. I love that bike on the highway, but it leaves much to be desired in the city.

Some guys I ride with suggested the Gold Wing, but I can't bring myself to do it. :crying:

Stay with the HD until you absolutely have to make the jump to Jap speed.
    The wings are sweet but they are.....well.....wings.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I say go for it. In my opinion, the 'Rushmore' bikes are the best that Harley has ever turned out. I know it's not wisest move to be the first to buy a new innovation, but since Harley's 2017 models will have the new 'Milwaukee Eight' motor, I may have to trade up, especially if the new colors look as good as I think they will.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    So Q,80" ain't enough?

I can't say it's not, but I'm starting to put a little too much money into it. When I'm alone, it pulls up the mountains just fine, but in group rides it's noticeably slower than the 103's and other more powerful models.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I say go for it. In my opinion, the 'Rushmore' bikes are the best that Harley has ever turned out. I know it's not wisest move to be the first to buy a new innovation, but since Harley's 2017 models will have the new 'Milwaukee Eight' motor, I may have to trade up, especially if the new colors look as good as I think they will.

I will have to miss out on a '17. I only buy used vehicles with the upgrades I want already installed. There is ~$10k difference between the '15 I'm looking at and the '16, although I don't recall the exact model.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If your scoot has 80K on the clock the one you are looking at is going to be a lot tighter just due to wear.
    Wheel/neck/swing arm Bearings engine mounts etc.
    You will sailing on a cloud by comparison.
    And as mentioned 20plus ci's is a big deal.

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    That looks like a great open road cruiser. There was a time that bikes like that one were crazy to me. Why all the bells and whistles? Oh and comfort?! If you wanted all that, get a caddy! A decade plus of riding a hard tail springer ironhead has begrudgingly made me see the other side of that argument. I haven't rode mine much at all this summer. My back is doing ok right now and don't want to risk the pain just for a short jaunt out. Getting old (prematurely as it may be) sucks. I have always liked the looks of the stock(ish) Road Glides. My mechanic (and you need one if you own a old ironhead) tried convening me that road glides were more dangerous then a street glide etc. because the front fairing doesn't move with the front wheel, meaning the headlight doesn't either making for more dangerous turns on back roads at night. Any truth to that from your experience? I've heard (and this is of course just a superstition) that green Harley's are bad luck. Something to do with more men have died on a green Harley then any other color because of the use of them in the wars. So the men who were blessed to return home refused a green Harley because of the brothers they lost. Of course a bell will fix that.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I will test ride before I buy, but I couldn't imagine it being any sloppier than the Road Glide. I love that bike on the highway, but it leaves much to be desired in the city.

Some guys I ride with suggested the Gold Wing, but I can't bring myself to do it. :crying:

Full disclosure I am no Harley fan. I've never hidden that on these boards but to each their own and as long as it has two wheels its cool with me if its cool with you. That being said I HATE HONDA. ESPECIALLY Gold Wings. They are way over priced way over engineered way to many knobs and buttons and do dads and flashing lights. I mean seriously if your are going to spend the the money on a Gold wing buy yourself a nice convertible sports coupe and call it a day. They aren't motorcycles in my opinion, the are cars with two wheel, except for gold wing trikes those are just :puke:

Anyway rant off. Don't for the love of god buy a Gold Wing. Your NOT AN OLD MAN YET Que!!

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Stay with the HD until you absolutely have to make the jump to Jap speed.
    The wings are sweet but they are.....well.....wings.

:rockwoot:Do it!!!

Once you ride a Jap cruiser and learn what motorcycles are supposed to feel like, Handle like, and once you put pipes and power commander on them sound like, (no engines aren't supposed to say Potato potato potato that is a timing/fueling flaw) and when you can travel across country and not have to stop to pick up parts as they fall off (unless you buy a Suzuki), You wont bother that Orange and black shield ever again.

Flying K and Tuning forks for life!

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    So Q,80" ain't enough?

I can't say it's not, but I'm starting to put a little too much money into it. When I'm alone, it pulls up the mountains just fine, but in group rides it's noticeably slower than the 103's and other more powerful models.

My bike only has 52cu in displacement... It does aight.... :)

Mine has 113
    yamaha-star-raider-scl-2014-2.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    :rockwoot:Do it!!!

Once you ride a Jap cruiser and learn what motorcycles are supposed to feel like, Handle like, and once you put pipes and power commander on them sound like, (no engines aren't supposed to say Potato potato potato that is a timing/fueling flaw) and when you can travel across country and not have to stop to pick up parts as they fall off (unless you buy a Suzuki), You wont bother that Orange and black shield ever again.

Flaying K and Tuning forks for life!

Oh man.............:nono:

The sound you reference is what us old guys grew up with "But" the new ones are single fire with F.I. so they have a totally different exhaust note.
    I used tune-able single fire ign. on all my shovels and block heads. It did change the way they ran. The dual fire was a bust in my opinion. 1st thing that hit the trash can.

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    52cu/in

116RWHP

Anything on two wheels appeals to me... I just prefer efficient conversion of fuel/performance.

Ride on!

Harley Davidson has mastered the art of transforming gasoline into noise with out the result of all that pesky horsepower. :):

Fizzer Pilot? You don't happen to ride an FZ1 do you?

Top Bottom