• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    You mean the “Smollett” DUI in Cali back in 2007!

Where he LIED to The POLICE?

He gave his bothers information

DUI

Giving false information to police

Driving with no license

Him likes to lie to the Poilzei

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    BBC reporting that Smollett has been suspended from the TV show and won't appear in the last 2 episodes.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    BBC reporting that Smollett has been suspended from the TV show and won't appear in the last 2 episodes.
    Yeah I've been reading reports that there has been division on the Empire set. Some cast members are furious with Smollet and feel that he should be axed from the show and a few others are holding out hope that Smollet is innocent. Fox has their hands full with this disruption. Hard to stick by the one that has brought it to their set.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Last Fall, there were observations that Empire viewership was decreasing. This could actually push it to permanent hiatus.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

They believed he was a victim, because they want to believe. These hate crimes fit their narrative that conservatives are racist, homophobic, women hating, etc. and are violent people.

So, even when proved untrue, they can't let go of it. Probably the worst for of confirmation bias - even when proved false, they retain it as a point to support their belief.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Jussie Smollet took advantage of an imposed stereotype that unfairly vilifies MAGA supporters and played to those unfounded fears based on a lie.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Jussie Smollet took advantage of an imposed stereotype that unfairly vilifies MAGA supporters and played to those unfounded fears based on a lie.

Yeah, I think all but one of us get that. If anyone thinks you can change his mind...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    They believed he was a victim, because they want to believe. These hate crimes fit their narrative that conservatives are racist, homophobic, women hating, etc. and are violent people.

So, even when proved untrue, they can't let go of it. Probably the worst for of confirmation bias - even when proved false, they retain it as a point to support their belief.

It works the other way around too.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

Straight out of "Rules for Radicals." To the radical left, the ends justify the means.

It didn't happen to Smollett, but that doesn't matter, because they think (incorrectly) that racial attacks ARE happening to people across the country. Of course, we all know the hoaxes far outweigh the actual instances of "hate crimes," but again, that doesn't matter. They are so committed to highlighting an issue, they are fine with just making **** up in the absence of real examples to highlight.

Anything to further the agenda.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Straight out of "Rules for Radicals." To the radical left, the ends justify the means.

It didn't happen to Smollett, but that doesn't matter, because they think (incorrectly) that racial attacks ARE happening to people across the country. Of course, we all know the hoaxes far outweigh the actual instances of "hate crimes," but again, that doesn't matter. They are so committed to highlighting an issue, they are fine with just making **** up in the absence of real examples to highlight.

Anything to further the agenda.

Wait, are you saying that hoaxes are more prevalent than real hate crimes, or that the hoaxes gather more attention? I disagree with the former, but agree with the latter.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Hmmm.... good point.

I guess we all seek confirmation for our beliefs.
    I would agree with this.

The problem begins when you attempt to justify or excuse using unsavory tactics in order to confirm an existing belief.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Wait, are you saying that hoaxes are more prevalent than real hate crimes, or that the hoaxes gather more attention? I disagree with the former, but agree with the latter.

More along the lines of what generates major media coverage. I agree my comment wasn't phrased particularly well and would cede the point that the number of "hate crimes" does statistically outnumber the total number of hoaxes.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...ired-cut-video-chicago-fox-column/2950146002/

But when we consider that according to the FBI, the victim of a hate crime "may be an individual, a business/financial institution, a government entity, a religious organization, or society/public as a whole," I think it's difficult to make a competent comparison. Once you remove the non-individual victims, the numbers drop significantly (8,828 total victims vs. 5,804 individual victims in 2017). That means nearly 35% of the victims of "hate crimes" in 2017 were actually a business/financial institution, a government entity, a religious organization, or society/public as a whole.

The water gets even muddier when you look at the types of "hate crimes" being committed. Almost half of the crimes against individuals fall under the category of "intimidation." A vast majority of the property crimes include some form of vandalism. Some property crimes are categorized as vehicle thefts.

Crimes against persons (Based on Table 2.) *Source data pulled from FBI statistics linked above.
    In 2017, 5,084 victims of hate crimes were victims of crimes against persons. Regarding these victims and the crimes committed against them:

44.9 percent of the victims were intimidated.
    34.3 percent were victims of simple assault.
    19.5 percent were victims of aggravated assault.
    0.5 percent (23) were victims of rape.
    0.3 percent (15) were murdered.
    1 individual was a victim of human trafficking, commercial sex acts.
    0.5 percent (27) were victims of other types of offenses, which are collected only in the National Incident-Based Reporting System (NIBRS).

Crimes against property (Based on Table 2.)
    In 2017, 3,506 victims of hate crimes were victims of crimes against property. Of these:

73.7 percent were victims of destruction/damage/vandalism.
    10.8 percent were victims of larceny-theft.
    5.3 percent were victims of burglary.
    4.9 percent were victims of robbery.
    1.7 percent were victims of arson.
    1.3 percent (44) were victims of motor vehicle theft.
    2.4 percent were victims of other types of hate crime offenses, which are collected only in NIBRS.

So while any crime against another based solely on race, religion, sexuality, etc, is unacceptable, I think it can be somewhat difficult to attribute motivations of perpetrators as those solely based on a single factor. For instance, if a man threatens his gay neighbor during a dispute over a shared property line, can that intimidation be attributed solely to the sexual orientation of one of the parties involved? If a white nationalist steals a car that belongs to a Jewish woman, can that be shown that the car was only stolen because the owner of the car is a Jew?

I don't know the answer to these types of questions. But I think the definition of "hate crimes" is very broad and the actual instances of people being murdered is extremely low at 0.3 percent (15 total victims in 2017 according to the FBI). Simple and aggregated assaults make up a fair percentage of total victims, but again, I'd be prefer to look at individual cases to truly understand the motivations of the perpetrators rather than just lumping them all together as hate crimes. But because the definitions are so broad, I think we're going to continue to see a rise in "hate-crimes" as more and more states adopt hate crime laws with fuzzy definitions.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    https://apple.news/AqQrl-uVMSc6RRJ5HJ121VQ

Woman assaults man Because he’s wearing a red Maga hat.

So... a MAGA gets interactions with Brazilian women? Probably not the end result I'd want, but at least it's an introduction... Hopefully, a sympathetic judge rules that she has to be his maid for a month. If nothing else, she could help him shave. And maybe teach him that "educated" gentlemen don't wear hats indoors, much less at the dinner table.

Meh. Call me old fashioned; and a sucker for Brazilian women.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So... a MAGA gets interactions with Brazilian women? Probably not the end result I'd want, but at least it's an introduction... Hopefully, a sympathetic judge rules that she has to be his maid for a month.

Negative interactions with Brazilians women is more than enough reason to never buy a MAGA hat.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom