• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Honestly Slyvain if you are super curious about it, and not just the new one wikipedia isn't too bad. And you can even read it in French if you want!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon

I read a bit about in on Wikipedia.Mosty about the controversies.

Still not sure if they can appear on private space, leading people to potential tresspas.

The app was criticized for using locations such as cemeteries and memorials as sites to catch Pokémon,[SUP][72][/SUP] including the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum,[SUP][73][/SUP] the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum,[SUP][74][/SUP] the National September 11 Memorial & Museum, and Arlington National Cemetery.[SUP][75][/SUP] The game sparked complaints from Dutch company ProRail, who said that players had entered their railway tracks,[SUP][76][/SUP] and fire stations told players to not impede their staff by congregating outside.[SUP][77][/SUP] The game's distribution of Pokéstops and gyms (derived from the portals of Ingress, a previous science fiction-themed Niantic augmented reality game) has been noted to be sparser in many minority neighborhoods in a reflection of American demographics.[SUP][78][/SUP] Residents of the Sydney suburb of Rhodes became fed up with large numbers of players gathering in their area,[SUP][79][/SUP] and threw waterbombs at visiting players.[SUP][80]
    [/SUP]Some early iOS installs of Pokémon Go required users to provide the app with full access to theirGoogle accounts, thereby allowing the app to "access players' Gmail-based email, Google Drive-based files, photos and videos stored in Google Photos, and any other content within their Google accounts"

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    no-pokemon-go-gaming-at-arlington-cemetery-100671589-large.idge.jpg

I know it's not the game's fault and maybe it's a good time for the parents to teach their kids that you don't conduct yourself the same way when you're at the mall or at a cemetary.
    Not that you shouldn't be respectful of others at the mall anyway.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yeah there's two types of locations.... Pokestops, and Gyms. They're usually placed on landmarks, sculptures, park signs, artistic displays, churches...

I did see quite a few around large statues in cemeteries. I can see them potentially removing the ones that are on the locations that may be in bad taste to be playing a game at.

They were all established from a different game before this one, which attracted a slightly older (and perhaps more mature) audience. None of the locations should be placed on anyone's private property.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I didn't know anything about Pokemon but heard about it and I used to play Ingress so I figured I would check it out. I've got the whole family playing now, it's pretty fun. Hurt my foot recently though so I'm not really able to go out walking with them, but it seems like a good time and people are exploring their world a bit more and getting some exercise. As long as no one trespasses it's a good time.

RevoWood123

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2015
    North Louisville (So Ind)
    It's one thing for kids to play around with this, but grownass adults?
    Hell, I just saw a news story that was basically an advisory about the dangers of getting distracted while playing it.
    Call me Mr. Curmudgeon here, but whatever happened to normal social interaction?

Keep in mind, this generation grew up with video games (my generation). They grew up playing pokemon and thre is a nostalgia of playing now as an adult. Video games have been a part of everyday life for the majority of people my age and younger, no different from the "norms" of previous generations (i.e. places you used to hang out in your free time). The only major difference of this game and many others is that this actually gets them out of their homes and more likely to run into other people with similar interest.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    no-pokemon-go-gaming-at-arlington-cemetery-100671589-large.idge.jpg

I know it's not the game's fault and maybe it's a good time for the parents to teach their kids that you don't conduct yourself the same way when you're at the mall or at a cemetary.
    Not that you shouldn't be respectful of others at the mall anyway.

I heard it was an issue at Auschwitz or some similar death camp site also. People were having to be told at the museum (or whatever they call the history preserve) that this isn't the kind of place to be playing games.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    One thing I noticed, which I thought was really cool. PokeStops are placed at places that most people would not normally stop at. For instance, at the Indianapolis Zoo, most of the stops were at signs that I, along with a lot of other people, never stopped to read.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I didn't know it was a free game.
    How can this company make money off a free game?
    Is it by selling your data to a third party? I heard it was often the case when you get free apps that can pretty much access anything on your phone (GPS location, emails, pictures, texts etc). :dunno:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

Speaking for myself, it's not really that simple.
    The problem is that people are so tethered to their smartphones that it takes a game on their smartphones to actually get out of their houses, and whatever social interaction happens is only tangential as related to a game.
    I mean, how often do you sit down in a restaurant, then take a quick glance around you to see several tables with entire families with the familiar head down pose, each person obsessively fiddling with their little gadget?
    We have never been more "in touch" in our lifetimes, yet so disconnected from each other.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I didn't know it was a free game.
    How can this company make money off a free game?
    Is it by selling your data to a third party? I heard it was often the case when you get free apps that can pretty much access anything on your phone (GPS location, emails, pictures, texts etc). :dunno:

Like most games these days... it's free to play, with premium features for those that choose to spend money on them.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I downloaded it just to learn about it. There is a Latin Rites Catholic Church about 100 yards away that is designated a gym. I wonder how the designations come to be?

Top Bottom