• ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Get some sleep.

Even in one of the things you quoted- and you are right it was sarcastic, it says: "I fail to see any reason for the police to be called." Yes, sarcastic and yes, I believe it is perfectly reasonable the average citizen to have some level of concern over a rifle in a restaurant and perfectly reasonable for police to respond when called and assess the situation. I've been consistent about this throughout.

Where did I say people should not "be allowed" to do anything. All I said is that every action has logical consequences. I think it's silly and immature to whine when the police ask about why a long gun is carried into a restaurant.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I have no problem with LEOs investigating calls they receive. I have a problem with the WAY they investigated. By them investigating this way, they are showing that calling LE for mere presence of a firearm is the right thing to do. How will carrying a firearm ever become a societal norm when encounters are not only handled this way, but accepted by much of our community?

You are okay with the police being called for a long gun in a McDonalds. If you think that the LEOs were "just investigating" when the OP states that they were berated in public like they were, then it is not us who lives in a parallel universe, but yourself.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    For the OP.....you are beating this thing to death. The bottom line is someone used poor judgement and decided to carry an AR15 in a public restaurant. Like it or not and agree or not that was a weird, goofy and uncommon thing to do. Based on those facts someone called the police. Yea we all know it is not illegal to carry a flipping AR in public..we all get that. But when someone calls the call will be investigated, especially one as odd as yours. I doubt that you would find many public places where someone would not call about someone walking around with a AR. That is just the way it is and you aren't going to change that. Further more I would assume that what happened is exactly what you guys wanted or hoped would happen. You wanted a scene and you got one.

OK so you are sitting there eating your burger and the police show up which you knew would likely happen. Now you are torqued because of how the police handled your call. You nit pick the way they responded and how they spoke to you ect. I would feel safe in saying they were just a little bit ticked off for having to deal with such poor judgement. You do know by now that you guys really looked pretty danged silly sitting there like that....right? Probably not but anyway. I probably would have been a little irritated too with having to deal with something like that. There are more important things to be doing that messing with stuff like your call. Nothing they would or could have done would have not made it onto INGO because after all why would someone have done what you guys did?

So after it all said and done you call and complain about the police response. We get it and nothing is going to happen with it. Why? Because some guys decided to act goofy and carry a rifle into a public eatery. To be blunt I doubt your complaint will be taken seriously because of your lack of judgement. Maybe the LE response could have been different or better...who knows. The bottom line is you guys caused the scene with what you did.

In a perfect world no one would call about someone having a rifle in a public eatery. But it isn't a perfect world and the world has nut jobs in it. Based on that fact people will be concerned when they see abnormal things going on. I would hope you and your buddy's will be a little more responsible in the future and use better judgement. You can take that for what its worth to you. Use a little common sense. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    For the OP.....you are beating this thing to death. The bottom line is someone used poor judgement and decided to carry an AR15 in a public restaurant. Like it or not and agree or not that was a weird, goofy and uncommon thing to do. Based on those facts someone called the police. Yea we all know it is not illegal to carry a flipping AR in public..we all get that. But when someone calls the call will be investigated, especially one as odd as yours. I doubt that you would find many public places where someone would not call about someone walking around with a AR. That is just the way it is and you aren't going to change that. Further more I would assume that what happened is exactly what you guys wanted or hoped would happen. You wanted a scene and you got one.

OK so you are sitting there eating your burger and the police show up which you knew would likely happen. Now you are torqued because of how the police handled your call. You nit pick the way they responded and how they spoke to you ect. I would feel safe in saying they were just a little bit ticked off for having to deal with such poor judgement. You do know by now that you guys really looked pretty danged silly sitting there like that....right? Probably not but anyway. I probably would have been a little irritated too with having to deal with something like that. There are more important things to be doing that messing with stuff like your call. Nothing they would or could have done would have not made it onto INGO because after all why would someone have done what you guys did?

So after it all said and done you call and complain about the police response. We get it and nothing is going to happen with it. Why? Because some guys decided to act goofy and carry a rifle into a public eatery. To be blunt I doubt your complaint will be taken seriously because of your lack of judgement. Maybe the LE response could have been different or better...who knows. The bottom line is you guys caused the scene with what you did.

In a perfect world no one would call about someone having a rifle in a public eatery. But it isn't a perfect world and the world has nut jobs in it. Based on that fact people will be concerned when they see abnormal things going on. I would hope you and your buddy's will be a little more responsible in the future and use better judgement. You can take that for what its worth to you. Use a little common sense. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

The problem here is that you act like the "investigation" was a benign interaction. The police, having already ascertained by looking through the window, that there was no impending violent situation proceeded to enter with guns drawn and then publicly attempt to shame the individual based not upon law but on there own personal beliefs. If I am not mistaken they are called Law enforcement Officer and not opinion enforcement Officer.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The problem here is that you act like the "investigation" was a benign interaction. The police, having already ascertained by looking through the window, that there was no impending violent situation proceeded to enter with guns drawn and then publicly attempt to shame the individual based not upon law but on there own personal beliefs. If I am not mistaken they are called Law enforcement Officer and not opinion enforcement Officer.

You must be privy to info the rest of us don't have. We have no idea what the officers were dispatched to, other than a MWAG in a McDonald's. If I know that there's a man with a gun in a place, and I look in the windows to gain some intel, yet see no one fitting that description, I'm not going to "holster up" and walk in thinking everything is fine.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You must be privy to info the rest of us don't have. We have no idea what the officers were dispatched to, other than a MWAG in a McDonald's. If I know that there's a man with a gun in a place, and I look in the windows to gain some intel, yet see no one fitting that description, I'm not going to "holster up" and walk in thinking everything is fine.

It is amazing how some folks view this.

Not you Kutnup but those who feel that even being "Looked" at by LEO is an infraction of their rights.

No knock on anyone or how they look at the world but really, If I am LEO dispatched to this scene I would have my sidearm in hand as I entered the area. These are trouble and crazy times. People are killing each other for sport.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    The thing that amazes me is guys thinking it is perfectly normal to walk into a public restaurant with a long gun. How in the heck do you talk to someone like that? In reality a guy could probably walk into a public place wearing a pink thong and be legal but you won't ever catch me doing so...same with going out to eat at a restaurant with a rifle. But whatever floats ones boat I guess:n00b:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The thing that amazes me is guys thinking it is perfectly normal to walk into a public restaurant with a long gun. How in the heck do you talk to someone like that? In reality a guy could probably walk into a public place wearing a pink thong and be legal but you won't ever catch me doing so...same with going out to eat at a restaurant with a rifle. But whatever floats ones boat I guess:n00b:

For some reason folks feel the need or whatever to push themselves on others. In this case many people were made to feel very uncomfortable but that was of no concern to the OP and his "Crew"
    In these troubled times we as gun owners have to use our heads for more than a door stop. Think about what you do in this concern. If I am in a burger joint and someone is making me un-easy I will either leave/confront or deal with it in whatever manner fits the situation. Just because you can do something is it always the right thing to do.

Now before the flame throwers come out I am in on the 2A side of this. I just feel that there is a time and a place for every thing and an AR in the McD's is not either. That is my personal opinion and not a statement against this young fools right to do what he did. It disrupted all the people around him and they had to endure a LEO visit with guns drawn. How else did they think this was going to end....Right or wrong they infringed on others....Period.

No one was educated or softened towards seeing a gun.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Many of the same people who have been arguing about rights to carry an AR in a McD's and how the OP was mistreated by the police, in another thread are giving a different OP a hard time due to him calling the police because someone pointed a rifle at him.

One even went so far as to say since the rifle pointer was laughing he did not think it a criminal act. And went on to say that the OP had no proof that it happened at all.

So if it is OK to point a gun at people and laugh, I would think it was OK for LEO to point a gun at a AR carrier at McD's.

Or is someone being selectively defiant and argumentive?

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It is amazing how some folks view this.

Not you Kutnup but those who feel that even being "Looked" at by LEO is an infraction of their rights.

No knock on anyone or how they look at the world but really, If I am LEO dispatched to this scene I would have my sidearm in hand as I entered the area. These are trouble and crazy times. People are killing each other for sport.

+1 Can't blame the cops for that action.

Course, once they knew the guys were just silly fools, they did not need to berate them in public. A simple, "You idiot! Put the AR in your car and finish your meal. You're scaring the public! JERK!" would have been sufficient. Slapping the cuffs on them was just Johnny Swatteam showing off.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Many of the same people who have been arguing about rights to carry an AR in a McD's and how the OP was mistreated by the police, in another thread are giving a different OP a hard time due to him calling the police because someone pointed a rifle at him.

One even went so far as to say since the rifle pointer was laughing he did not think it a criminal act. And went on to say that the OP had no proof that it happened at all.

So if it is OK to point a gun at people and laugh, I would think it was OK for LEO to point a gun at a AR carrier at McD's.

Or is someone being selectively defiant and argumentive?

I saw that thread and was amazed at the opinions given.
    In my area the activity mentioned (pointing) would get you stomped and LEO involved only to clean up. I think people just want to poke the :poop: pile to stir up an argument and then duck out.
    Some of the folks in this thread have stood their ground behind their opinions and posts. We all see the world differently.

I wonder how these young men would have reacted if they were approached by a few full grown male patrons (armed) and told to take their butts outside. That would make a fascinating thread....no LEO to bash, citizens responding to an idiotic act that displeased them.

I know myself and many I l know would have called them out on this.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    +1 Can't blame the cops for that action.

Course, once they knew the guys were just silly fools, they did not need to berate them in public. A simple, "You idiot! Put the AR in your car and finish your meal. You're scaring the public! JERK!" would have been sufficient. Slapping the cuffs on them was just Johnny Swatteam showing off.

I agree to the response.
    Hard to tell how jacked up they were on adrenalin in responding to this call.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    I wonder how these young men would have reacted if they were approached by a few full grown male patrons (armed) and told to take their butts outside. That would make a fascinating thread....no LEO to bash, citizens responding to an idiotic act that displeased them.
    Unless they were staff of the restaurant, I would have told them "Thanks for your concern, now please leave me alone while I finish my meal."

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Unless they were staff of the restaurant, I would have told them "Thanks for your concern, now please leave me alone while I finish my meal."

Good on you.

Just wondering how the haters and bashers would handle the thread.

I do not like the way you and your friends were treated but remember, these are troubled times. Folks are scared. Educating them is important but must be done (unfortunately) in a PC manner. Not my world, just the one they have put on me.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

The thing that amazes me is that police think "normal" and "lawful" are synonomous and anything that breaks the threshold of normal is therefore unlawful.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The thing that amazes me is that police think "normal" and "lawful" are synonomous and anything that breaks the threshold of normal is therefore unlawful.

This is very common in the ranks of the un-informed or under educated officials that do not take the time required to stay current on the laws they are paid to enforce.

Top Bottom