• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    My wife is trying to teach our little girl how to pull weeds (she's only 16 months). She loves to pick things up, hand them to us, and say "tank ooo" (thank you - that's what we always say to her, so she repeats it). Now to just get her to distinguish weed from plant.....

Be prepared to wait a little longer. My youngest is 26 months and snapped the flowering top right off the onion I was letting go to seed the other night. :laugh:

The worst part is that of the 7 onions I left to go to seed this year, that was the only one that flowered. And now I have nothing. With no onions surviving transplant/deluge this spring, I won't have onion seeds until 2013 unless by some miracle I can plant some that will survive the winter.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Be prepared to wait a little longer. My youngest is 26 months and snapped the flowering top right off the onion I was letting go to seed the other night. :laugh:

The worst part is that of the 7 onions I left to go to seed this year, that was the only one that flowered. And now I have nothing. With no onions surviving transplant/deluge this spring, I won't have onion seeds until 2013 unless by some miracle I can plant some that will survive the winter.
    Yeah, she's good at pulling flowers apart!

BTW: I'll have white and maybe yellow onion seeds here in a bit. Not officially heirloom, but they keep reseeding themselves pretty well. I'm happy to share.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    So far my garden has survived the onslaught of storms that we've been having, I am starting to get a little worried now though since my soil seems to be at capacity & will soon start flooding out if we don't get a break in all of this rain!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Things going well here. Corn keeps getting pushed over from storms, but manages to stand back up in a day.

Our real problem is with the tomato plants- something keeps picking them off and eating half of them. We think it is deer or some really zealous rabbits.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Yeah, she's good at pulling flowers apart!

BTW: I'll have white and maybe yellow onion seeds here in a bit. Not officially heirloom, but they keep reseeding themselves pretty well. I'm happy to share.

Oh, yes, please. I'm not picky on heirloom.

You'll have to school me on onions because I can't seem to get them to work at all. Granted I've only tried two years now, but failure rate is 100%--for eating that is.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Got a micro garden behind my apartment, just for kicks...

Got some mini pumpkins (3" or so) growing and they're supposed to be able to be trained to grow on a trellis, but I've never tried it before...

Whip and lots of drills and yelling?

Soft words and positive re-enforcement?

Twist ties or twine?

Lure them with bacon at the top?

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Got a micro garden behind my apartment, just for kicks...

Got some mini pumpkins (3" or so) growing and they're supposed to be able to be trained to grow on a trellis, but I've never tried it before...

Whip and lots of drills and yelling?

Soft words and positive re-enforcement?

Twist ties or twine?

Lure them with bacon at the top?

LOL pumpkin's have vines called "runners" that stretch out from the central root system, simply pick up one of the young runners & look for the little curly grabby bits & hook them on your trellis, try to get as many of those little curly grabby bits on each runner "hooked" as possible, they act a lot like velcro does, so the more that are hooked on, the better the vines will stay on the trellis when the heavy pumpkins start forming.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    LOL pumpkin's have vines called "runners" that stretch out from the central root system, simply pick up one of the young runners & look for the little curly grabby bits & hook them on your trellis, try to get as many of those little curly grabby bits on each runner "hooked" as possible, they act a lot like velcro does, so the more that are hooked on, the better the vines will stay on the trellis when the heavy pumpkins start forming.

Cool, never tried pumpkins before and I did the minis because my son will get a kick out of them this fall, also got the "pumpkin on a stick" ornamental eggplants that looked cool too.

I'll probably have to wait for the pumpkins to get a little bit bigger, they just barely reach the first crossbar/wire of the trellis now (got a cheap wire tomato trellis)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog

You'll have to school me on onions because I can't seem to get them to work at all. Granted I've only tried two years now, but failure rate is 100%--for eating that is.
    When were you digging them out? Is your soil wet? Onions will rot if they sit in wet soil, but they are "sweeter" if they have moisture. It's a balance thing.
    My below ground plants are doing well. It's the poor tomatoes and peppers that are getting the :poop: beat out of them by the hail.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    When were you digging them out? Is your soil wet? Onions will rot if they sit in wet soil, but they are "sweeter" if they have moisture. It's a balance thing.
    My below ground plants are doing well. It's the poor tomatoes and peppers that are getting the :poop: beat out of them by the hail.

We have raised beds so drainage is never (knock on wood) much of an issue. However, for the small little things that they were when they went in this year, and the simply awful amounts of rain we've had, it might have been too much for them to take root. They started well last year, but never got any bigger than a golf ball. Didn't even get that far this year.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Finally! Got some updated pics.

Spinach that went to seed before it got big enough to harvest. :rolleyes:
    P1040070.jpg

Peas are flowering!
    P1040069.jpg

The lone sweet 'tater.
    P1040067.jpg

Green beans.
    P1040065.jpg

Just a few of the tomatoes.
    P1040063.jpg

Potatoes
    P1040061.jpg

Cantaloupe planted on a whim straight into the ground. I am an experimental gardner.
    P1040058.jpg

And finally done, the chicken run.
    P1040072.jpg

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    my tomatos, have the blight setting in now. i'm about to get out the daconil and spray them down. my broccoli is growing good and so are my potatos. cabbages are freaking huger, same with cauliflower, i will get some pics of mine pretty soon.

nice chicken coop sir. that turned out much better than mine lol. the one thing i will tell you is get some DE cause all chickens do is eat and **** and your going to have a ton of flies by your house with out it.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I spent probably 7-8 years trying to grow them with consistent success.

It wasn't until I learned about long, intermediate, and short day cultivators and talked to the people below that I started growing onions that I was happy with.

Now the problem I have is remembering to order VERY early in late winter/early spring. They sell out every year very fast.

Click here: Dixondale Farms, Onion Plants Since 1913 - Dixondale Farms Mailorder Onion Plants, Leek Transplants, and Gardening

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Whoo hoo! Picked 6 cherry tomatoes today! I know that doesn't sound like much, but considering those plants were beat on by hail 6 times, I am thrilled they are producing! :rockwoot:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i got good broccoli heads forming, cabbage is forming up nice, got a good amount of green tomato's, banana peppers, jalapeno's, and super chili's, potato's, green beans and cherry tomato's. my cauliflower doesn't look like its doing much but this is my first year for it.

my blackberry bushes are covered, chickens ate the raspberries and blue berries (next year i will fence them in lol)

also i found a massive wild blackberry patch and black raspberry patch. i didn't even know was there (and i only have 2 acres lol) so many berries its not even funny. ate a good amount today and can't wait for more to ripen up :)

duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    i got good broccoli heads forming, cabbage is forming up nice, got a good amount of green tomato's, banana peppers, jalapeno's, and super chili's, potato's, green beans and cherry tomato's. my cauliflower doesn't look like its doing much but this is my first year for it.

my blackberry bushes are covered, chickens ate the raspberries and blue berries (next year i will fence them in lol)

also i found a massive wild blackberry patch and black raspberry patch. i didn't even know was there (and i only have 2 acres lol) so many berries its not even funny. ate a good amount today and can't wait for more to ripen up :)

Fresh wild rasberry cobler with some ice cream....royalty only wished they ate that good:yesway:

Top Bottom