• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I've got a mole tunneling under my pumpkin plants...

I'm about to go Caddyshack, only because you never go full retard...

i hate the freaking moles. i kill 2 or 3 every year and they just keep coming back. there were tearing up my my blueberries this year. someone needs to invent something that works better lol

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Man I cant wait til we get a house! Having a little patio garden isnt cutting it after seeing all your pics, lol.

Looks like we might have gotten a late start on our pepper plants, they are just starting to flower. Maybe they dont like being stuck in pots?

I noticed the few extras I put in the pots are smaller and farther behind in fruit development too. But then I think peppers are picky and while they certainly don't need perfect conditions to produce, they'll be sure to tell you they aren't getting them by not growing/producing like you think they should. They eventually catch up, but take their sweet ol' time with it. Try a shot of fertilizer if you haven't already. But not too much. Don't want a big plant with no fruit.

I can help you with that housing problem whenever you're ready too. ;)

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Anyone know anything about pumpkins?
    I had a good start on some of those little white Baby Boo pumpkins, growing nicely up the trellis (even extended the trellis), and they're still growing nice, but the few little marble-sized pumpkins I had, have either withered, or a couple look to have just fallen off the vine. What happened? Any ideas?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I had a good start on some of those little white Baby Boo pumpkins, growing nicely up the trellis (even extended the trellis), and they're still growing nice, but the few little marble-sized pumpkins I had, have either withered, or a couple look to have just fallen off the vine. What happened? Any ideas?
    Yup, buy them like I do. I have an excellent source. But you don't tend to grow anything with fruit that heavy on a trellis, remove the trellis.

Moles hate castor oil, mix it with human ****, dawn soap and water and put in a hose sprayer, spray the runs. Then buy some of these uUnderground mole traps.

Twin Set Victor® OUT O'SIGHT® Mole Trap, Model B0631-2

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Here are my actual pumpkin plants, I think I might have to go get a second trellis just to add some height, wire it on or something...

I've weeded them down to the 4 best plants because they were crowded and some were puny. The two on the right in the pic have REALLY taken off...

picture.php

picture.php
    That bed screams for a Florida Weave setup with Tomatoes. Go 6 to 8 feet high.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I noticed the few extras I put in the pots are smaller and farther behind in fruit development too. But then I think peppers are picky and while they certainly don't need perfect conditions to produce, they'll be sure to tell you they aren't getting them by not growing/producing like you think they should. They eventually catch up, but take their sweet ol' time with it. Try a shot of fertilizer if you haven't already. But not too much. Don't want a big plant with no fruit.

I can help you with that housing problem whenever you're ready too. ;)

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

As for the house thing, being laid off with a wife on disability, that isn't happening any time soon, lol

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    That bed screams for a Florida Weave setup with Tomatoes. Go 6 to 8 feet high.

Zoub, no idea what a Florida weave is, and noone in my family likes tomatoes, I was growing the pumpkins for fun for my son. The seed package said they could be trellis grown, as the full size pumpkins are only 2-3" diameter. And a high trellis would possibly need anchored at the top and I can't attach anything to the supports/porch overhead. Apartment living can be complicated...

How to Grow Miniature Pumpkins, Jack Be Little, Baby Boo, Pumpkin Seeds

And if I get rid of the trellis, I lose the plants, they'll spread out to the sidewalk and then they're liable to be cut by maintenance or the yard guys. My "flowerbeds" are about one foot wide by maybe... 10 or 12 feet long... No room to let them spread.

Lucion

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Avon
    I've been getting some awesome grape tomatos. Horn worms ate the big ones down about halfway in two days time. Starting to recover and full of big greens. I've had my fill of broccoli, about to cut em down. Can't wait for salsa, peppers are yellow, and cilantro is ready, go maters.

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Were getting tomatoes steadily and have lots of green ones still on the vines. We have also picked about 5 or 6 zucchini and a couple peppers. Everything has been coming in great. We can't wait to make some fresh salsa.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Does anywhere on your stem look like this?

squashborer2.JPG

Perhaps with less "open sore" damage but with an orange-y sawdust accumulating in an area?

Are there individual leaves that have turned yellow and/or wilted despite being adequately watered?

Do any of the leaves show signs of boring about an inch from the main stem?

If you answered 'yes' to any of these questions, you may have squash vine borer. If you catch it early enough, you may be able to save the plants.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Speaking of tomatoes..

I have a Roma plant that is doing pretty well, but instead of growing up into the cage, it is growing out..

Should I gently pull them up into the cage and tie them off, or let them grow their way?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Speaking of tomatoes..

I have a Roma plant that is doing pretty well, but instead of growing up into the cage, it is growing out..

Should I gently pull them up into the cage and tie them off, or let them grow their way?

Don't be afraid to train and prune. A well maintained plant produces higher yields.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Anyone know a good "kitchen" remedy for late onset tomato blight? My plants all got about 6-7 ft tall and were beginning to produce really well but alas my early evening watering combined with the high humidity has allowed the fungus to all but decimate them. Now it is spreading to my strawberries. This evening I sprayed them with a mild apple cider vinegar and water mix with a bit of dish soap but I fear it may be too late? Someone also told me about a mix of milk, baking soda and water? What about cornmeal? Any ideas would be helpful. Oh, additionally, my peppers are producing tremendously and seem resistant to the blight. Is there any chance of it taking hold in them though?

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Does anywhere on your stem look like this?

squashborer2.JPG

Perhaps with less "open sore" damage but with an orange-y sawdust accumulating in an area?

Are there individual leaves that have turned yellow and/or wilted despite being adequately watered?

Do any of the leaves show signs of boring about an inch from the main stem?

If you answered 'yes' to any of these questions, you may have squash vine borer. If you catch it early enough, you may be able to save the plants.

Well, I haven't seen anything like the pic, but I do have yellowing/withered leaves towards the bottom, though the middle and top of the plants look green and growing... They get watered every other day in this heat, unless it rains for more than 30 mins... Then I skip it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Our garden has started producing!
    - Had fresh snap-peas on our salad the other night
    - we HAVE to start picking and canning green beans this week
    - My wife has brought in a few cucumbers, so I need to get my pickling stuff out!
    - tomatoes look good, but nothing ripe yet. Same with all the peppers.
    - one softball-sized watermelon, with 20+ more just starting!

The sweet corn looks great, but not a single ear starting yet. I *really* want fresh corn!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Zoub, no idea what a Florida weave is, and noone in my family likes tomatoes, I was growing the pumpkins for fun for my son. The seed package said they could be trellis grown, as the full size pumpkins are only 2-3" diameter. And a high trellis would possibly need anchored at the top and I can't attach anything to the supports/porch overhead. Apartment living can be complicated...

How to Grow Miniature Pumpkins, Jack Be Little, Baby Boo, Pumpkin Seeds

And if I get rid of the trellis, I lose the plants, they'll spread out to the sidewalk and then they're liable to be cut by maintenance or the yard guys. My "flowerbeds" are about one foot wide by maybe... 10 or 12 feet long... No room to let them spread.
    Everyone knows people in the pumpkin industry lie! :laugh: Maybe a more substantial trellis would help? I like the wire racks like those used on warehouse shelves. It might help to tie off close to each fruit.

Florida weave is a way to grow vertical and go high so while it is used in fields it is also well suited to small space gardening, like the 12" wide bed you have.

Here is a Florida weave set up between two green fence posts (a bit shorter than what I like but this is a rental so I made it with what I had). Se how the twine runs between the plants. There are two strings per run, going in front and behind every other plant.

232323232%7Ffp539%3A3%3Enu%3D4548%3E98%3B%3E255%3EWSNRCG%3D338%3A37%3B2%3A6346nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp539%3A4%3Enu%3D4548%3E98%3B%3E255%3EWSNRCG%3D338%3A37%3B2%3A4346nu0mrj

You could also stick some tall, big stakes in and run the vine up those OR probably better use the method of running the vine up a twine or rope that is hanging down from a structure above. You said you can't do that but maybe you can rig your own frame?

Here is a picture of the small test frame I am using this year to try the vine up a rope concept. It is working very well so far. The bed is only 6" wide. The darl brown si teh old frame for a swing. Anything shiny or unpainted are my mods to make it work form my needs.

232323232%7Ffp53997%3Enu%3D4548%3E98%3B%3E255%3EWSNRCG%3D338%3A38%3B77%3B346nu0mrj

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Roadie, if the wayward branches are too thick and unbending, getting them back inside the cage usually results in breakage. After learning this lesson the hard way, I simply used garden twine to tie up what I couldn't manipulate back inside. If necessary you can use bamboo poles or tall stakes for additional support for the wandering branches too.

Well, I haven't seen anything like the pic, but I do have yellowing/withered leaves towards the bottom, though the middle and top of the plants look green and growing... They get watered every other day in this heat, unless it rains for more than 30 mins... Then I skip it.

I would suggest a thorough hands-and-knees inspection of the stem and the leaves near the ground if you haven't already. Early squash vine borer damage is hard to see. It isn't until you get 5 or 6 of the ****ers eating your plant and pooping (that's the orange sawdust stuff) that the plant really starts to show signs.

Specifically, check your yellowing/wilted leaf stems for signs of boring about an inch from where the leaf stem attaches to the main stem. Instead of a perfectly uniform green, you'll find some light browning in a circular or oval pattern. The actual bored hole isn't always obvious, but if you take a tooth pick or knife or kabob stick out with you, you can probe the center of any color changes on the stem, and you'll find it easy enough.

I hate to sound like I'm harping on the subject, but it's extremely important to catch an infestation early. Heroic efforts are in order, but it can be done.

The other important thing to note is that the life cycle of the borer (a moth) includes a pupating stage in the ground. When the larvae (which is what you'll find in the stem if you were to open up an infected squash) burrow into the soil after eating their fill--and destroying your crops--and wait for next spring to come around. If you don't remove the infected plant before that happens, you'll have the same problem again next year.

Good luck.

Top Bottom