• ...and so much more!
  • grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i guess it's time for some pics of my stuff

asparagus patch (only 2 years old now but got a ton this year and its still producing 4 more chutes came up today)

DSCN0026.jpg

a row of green beans and some red and yellow sweet peppers, green beans need a lattice of some sort it seems this year

DSCN0018.jpg

another row of green beans and broccoli
    DSCN0022.jpg

watermelon (i have never grown it before but figured i had enough extra space i would try)

DSCN0020.jpg

cantaloupe (same as watermelon no idea what i'm doing lol)
    DSCN0019.jpg picture by gruntsoldier - Photobucket

potato's and cauliflower (first time for both of these also but they appear to be doing well
    DSCN0024.jpg

spicy pepper types, tomato's and cabbage
    DSCN0025.jpg

lets hope that's not to many pictures lol

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    i got good broccoli heads forming, cabbage is forming up nice, got a good amount of green tomato's, banana peppers, jalapeno's, and super chili's, potato's, green beans and cherry tomato's. my cauliflower doesn't look like its doing much but this is my first year for it.

my blackberry bushes are covered, chickens ate the raspberries and blue berries (next year i will fence them in lol)

also i found a massive wild blackberry patch and black raspberry patch. i didn't even know was there (and i only have 2 acres lol) so many berries its not even funny. ate a good amount today and can't wait for more to ripen up :)

I'd be more than happy to take some off your hands for ya. ;) Seriously. I wouldn't even mind doing the work of picking. Just a thought. :D

Your pics look great (I didn't want to quote the post with the pics). We'll have to share the watermelon/cantaloupe stories. I'm doing pumpkin and cantaloupe for the first time this year as well. In fact, I didn't even plan on having them and therefore didn't have space in the beds. So I just scratched out a spot on the edge of the fenced in area and let them go. We'll see. Half my garden is always an experiment anyway.

Update for me: I finally got the beds mulched. Tomato plants are pruned. What a jungle they were. But I found about 2 dozen tomatoes I didn't know I had growing in that mess. Some are even about full size, so we should be seeing them start to produce like mad (knock on wood) in the next couple of weeks.

My peppers are flowering. They had started flowering about a month ago but weren't big enough to support the fruit so I pinched off the buds to give them some more growing time. Apparently I missed one because I found one about 5 inches long and 3 inches around. These plants are going to produce some big peppers I think.

Finally got the last of the bush beans (dry bean crop) planted yesterday too.

Zukes have been flowering and I should be getting something to eat in the next week. Hopefully, I can get a decent crop before the SVB destroys them.

Peas are podding and flowering. Not sure I'm gonna be able to keep up with them.

Still no flowers on the green beans. But they're taking over the garden, so heaven help me when they do.

The herbs are so-so. But they were an experiment too. Better luck next year.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i found out a good amount of the black berries are actually black raspberries and are great. they are almost all ripe already. the blackberry bushes are still covered but need to start changing colors lol they are all still green.

my peppers are growing like crazy too. my green beans are getting flowers but i need to run a lattice for the pole beans i did. i never plant pole beans and just totally forgot to give them something to grow on lol.

cabbages are monsters, tomato plants are over running the place. hopefully on my days off i can get it all taken care of.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Never done pumpkins, and my mini's seem to be taking off well, I've taken to tying them onto the trellis so the runners can take hold...

My "Pumpkin on a Stick" (ornamental eggplants) either grow much slower, or just aren't doing as well, never done either before, so I don't know if the eggplant things are growing on schedule or not... From what I just read looking for pics, they grow 3-5 feet tall and turn orange in mid-fall, so mine might be growing a little slow...

I think these are the same pumpkins...
    Garden_BabyBoo.jpg

And these should be the ornamental eggplants...
    2941677399_bdeb3ab507.jpg

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    My very first

Decided to learn how to grow things this year. Actually, it started last year with a buddy powder tilling the plot (laced with compost and peat) with his big green tractor. I added a bit more this spring and tilled it again. Here are the current fruits of my labor. There are tomatoes, jalapenos, green beans, zucchini, and a mystery squash that we found in the front yard.

IMG_5070.JPG
    IMG_5072.JPG
    IMG_5073.JPG

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Well, the squash vine borer got me again. I'm letting a few of the zucchini fruit finish out, then I'll pick them, pull the plants, cry, and start all over again.

I really hate SVB.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Sorry to hear about the SVB 88GT.

I was able to harvest a little broccoli today. This has to be the latest I have ever picked it out of the garden. :dunno:

Garlic is almost ready to harvest. A couple of the plants have seed pods that I will harvest and grow for future planting. :)

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i have broccoli still growing and pretty well also. i picked a 12 inch head yesterday it was huge. ate it last night and as always garden fresh destroys store bought flavor again :)

i'm going to take a picture have any of you guys ever seen what looks to be tomatos growing off the shoots of potato's? they came after the flowers and look like little cherry tomato's and are full of seeds. they are growing way above the soil at the top of the chutes? i asked my dad and he has never seen them so its strange. anyone? i'll go take some pictures

never mind my google fu came through. they are potato fruits and are poisonous :)

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I like to cheat an early plant into the mix. This year it didn't quite make the July 4 goal. Ended up a week or so late:
    2011-07-09_19-36-35_771-1.jpg

I have been nibbling the cherries though:
    2011-07-09_19-36-10_154.jpg

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    i have broccoli still growing and pretty well also. i picked a 12 inch head yesterday it was huge. ate it last night and as always garden fresh destroys store bought flavor again :)

i'm going to take a picture have any of you guys ever seen what looks to be tomatos growing off the shoots of potato's? they came after the flowers and look like little cherry tomato's and are full of seeds. they are growing way above the soil at the top of the chutes? i asked my dad and he has never seen them so its strange. anyone? i'll go take some pictures

never mind my google fu came through. they are potato fruits and are poisonous :)

Hey, lookey there. I was wondering the same thing. I figured they were the fruiting body after the blossom was fertilized, but wasn't sure.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Here are my actual pumpkin plants, I think I might have to go get a second trellis just to add some height, wire it on or something...

I've weeded them down to the 4 best plants because they were crowded and some were puny. The two on the right in the pic have REALLY taken off...

picture.php

picture.php

duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Well, the squash vine borer got me again. I'm letting a few of the zucchini fruit finish out, then I'll pick them, pull the plants, cry, and start all over again.

I really hate SVB.

Sprinkly sevin dust on the small plants a few times next year. That should help prevent the SVB.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've been sneaking potatoes from under the mulch for a week or so.
    Last night I had two big enough to bake. OH MY.
    I am seriously thinking of heading out there right now with a flash light.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    SVB got in my pumpkin too. But I caught this one early enough that I *think* I was able to shave them out of the stem and cover the stem with soil.

But the peas are yielding great this year. I got one potato out of a pot; though I didn't expect much out of that. It was simply a way to use the rest of the seed potatoes that I'd run out of room for in the beds. And it was only as big as a golf ball. But everything else is coming along swimmingly.

duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Going to pick sweet corn this week. Picked 3 small ears yesterday. Man they are good. Tomatoes, zuchini, broccoli, and put up 14 qts green beans (just ate one of them, they were great!)

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I'll post up some pics of mine tonight as its freaking out of control. i have a ton of huge green tomato's, my potato's are rather large (something is trying to dig them up but hasn't succeeded, as of yet, though there was 2 exposed today so i just pulled them and ate em for lunch. wow they were good. my broccoli is finally done, it was great this year. my cabbages need to finish up i have some heads that are over 10 lbs i would say.

i do have 2 questions for anyone who may know. first my cauliflower is huge plants but isn't doing anything as far as forming a head (i've been reading and maybe it just needs another month or so) anyone have any ideas if i'm right

and my second is the watermelon flowers keep dissappearing is this normal?

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    i do have 2 questions for anyone who may know. first my cauliflower is huge plants but isn't doing anything as far as forming a head (i've been reading and maybe it just needs another month or so) anyone have any ideas if i'm right
    mine are the same... be patient
    and my second is the watermelon flowers keep dissappearing is this normal?
    I've got some flowers and some melons, again be patient, probably just finished pollinating and is in transition.... or could be a pest

:yesway:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Been awhile since I posted in this thread.
    Lots of little green tomatos.
    All the pepper plants are starting to get full, which really surprises me because the rabbits ate the tops off of them.
    The rabbits ate all my peas...
    Yellow squash is producing very well, picked 6 this week.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    thanks redneck thats what i wanted to know. i tried to rep you but it seems i have been whoring around to much lol

here are some updated photo's of my garden and my little hellion as she loves being in the pics lol.

super chili's and they are hot. anyone want some i have 4 plants each plant has over a hundred on it already and is still flowering (i also have a ton of cayenne red peppers from last year still that i make my crushed reds out of)

DSCN0066.jpg

one of the last heads of broccoli that i let sit on a bit long due to the abundance of it in the fridge :)

DSCN0067.jpg

one of my mid sized cabbages :) and a daughters hand shot for comparison

DSCN0063.jpg

the watermelon and cantaloupe (trying to take over man they are almost like weeds lol. the cantaloupe has 60 plus flowers on it)

DSCN0060.jpg

the cauliflower and more pepper plants and potato's w/ the little one in for size reference

DSCN0062.jpg

and her surrounded by tomato plants. they are easily 5 foot plus tall right now and covered in greens

DSCN0065.jpg

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Man I cant wait til we get a house! Having a little patio garden isnt cutting it after seeing all your pics, lol.

Looks like we might have gotten a late start on our pepper plants, they are just starting to flower. Maybe they dont like being stuck in pots?

Top Bottom