• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    And for those that are going to say well I do I can always tell that I had a miss and I make it up. Well I say good for you. You must be going real slow.

IMO, if one has any D hits or misses at the end of a match, a guy can't say he called his shots. At least not all of them.

On a stage at Ft Wayne's halloween match a couple weeks ago, I still specifically remember two called 15-20yd Ds. At that distance, and because I was trying to get back to a mover before it stopped, I did not make them up. Shooting production I had the fastest time* (and highest HF) of ALL divisions. You two seem to think that impossible or unreasonable?

-rvb

edit: oops, just checked. One limited shooter had the exact same time (weird!) but with 7 misses.

Last edited:

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Nope I dont think its Impossible Im sure that Jerry can do it everytime just kidding I said for most people it almost impossible. Main reason there trying to go toooooo fast and most of the time they have to stop and come back to the target then all of thier speed was wasted most of the time. Not always. Well hell maybe I just need glasses:dunno:

Last edited:

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    On a stage at Ft Wayne's halloween match a couple weeks ago, I still specifically remember two called 15-20yd Ds. At that distance, and because I was trying to get back to a mover before it stopped, I did not make them up. Shooting production I had the fastest time* (and highest HF) of ALL divisions. You two seem to think that impossible or unreasonable?

-rvb

quote]

Nope, I shot the Michigan match clean, one D hit.

But calling a hit on a 3" wide strip around the edge of the target at 20 yds? I can't do that.

And I understand shooting 250 rds at a major and going home upset about 4-5 of those shots.

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    for most people it almost impossible. Main reason there trying to go toooooo fast

That's the cause of most problems we have in this game!
    For instance, I stuggle on the last shot in an array when I have to go to another position. I've gotten much better at calling that shot this year, but the temptation is to focus on hauling butt vs calling that shot...

Come on down in Nov and shoot with us rvb at ACC
    Will try, but been busy lately. I only made it down once or twice all season...

-rvb

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    But calling a hit on a 3" wide strip around the edge of the target at 20 yds? I can't do that.

Maybe not YET! but Soon!

:)

-rvb

edit: wish I could say I was 100% accurate in those kinds of calls. I was a bit nervous when the RO was scoring those targets. But I made the call and I went on with the stage. THAT's how sometimes you call your shots, but still end up with a miss. It's all about how accurate you are in your call. And you gain that accuracy by making the call, and studying the results on (or off!) paper.

-rvb

Last edited:

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    The other way that I try to look at this is you have to give each target the respect that it deserves. If you do that you should be a little above the curve then move up from there. And I know that there will be somebody else chime in on this tonight. And thats fine. But just remember its all in how much fun you make out of it also. If you make it work then its no fun anymore.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Winning is the fun.

To see the second sight picture you have to be looking for it first, and many people (I can name some) are not even looking for it.

I called every shot on Sunday but had some D's and one mike. I was willing to take the D's in those circumstances, and I had decided not to make up anything close on the classifier. It was not there. But I spent the whole match focused on the front sight and it paid off with higher points.

Going to see Ron Paul in Bloomington catch up on the rest later.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Winning is the fun.

To see the second sight picture you have to be looking for it first, and many people (I can name some) are not even looking for it.

I called every shot on Sunday but had some D's and one mike. I was willing to take the D's in those circumstances, and I had decided not to make up anything close on the classifier. It was not there. But I spent the whole match focused on the front sight and it paid off with higher points.

I'm much at better at the first sight pictures. The 2nd one is getting better. I made up a Mike with a Mike yesterday because of that damned 2nd sight picture thingy.:dunno:

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Ok Ill really get it stirred up!! I think that you can call a bad shot with out seeing your front site just from the feel. You guys say you call every shot is that also from using your hands and gun as a sighting device? Cause we all know that we shoot some targets close up without even seeing sights front or rear. Do ya get where I'm going here? So how can you see your front sight rise to call a shot? This is one reason for my saying you cant or dont call every shot. I know apple to oranges right?

Oh and dont get me wrong here Im still having fun. exspesially with the improvement Ive see with me but more so with Derrick abilitys. Also I get a real kick out of watching everybody else improve also. And I dont plan on quitting any time soon. So you guys are just stuck with me for now.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Ok Ill really get it stirred up!! I think that you can call a bad shot with out seeing your front site just from the feel. You guys say you call every shot is that also from using your hands and gun as a sighting device? Cause we all know that we shoot some targets close up without even seeing sights front or rear. Do ya get where I'm going here? So how can you see your front sight rise to call a shot? This is one reason for my saying you cant or dont call every shot. I know apple to oranges right?

Oh and dont get me wrong here Im still having fun. exspesially with the improvement Ive see with me but more so with Derrick abilitys. Also I get a real kick out of watching everybody else improve also. And I dont plan on quitting any time soon. So you guys are just stuck with me for now.

I sent you a one way ticket to Namby Pamby land

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Winning is the fun.

I think I did well on the points it was just getting my big but moving around the feild course that is still a little dificult for me. But that will change. I might start jogging:D

kch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    ok, so i may be a little out of my league here since i 'call' maybe the majority of my first shots but none of my second shots....i feel like i see the sights as im shooting but im pretty sure i still anticipate the recoil somewhat and try to compensate with my grip, which leads me to push or jerk the gun. i dont do this always but it seems a lot more common when i try to speed up, hence my points the last few weekends:D

from what ive read, watched, and heard i really do think you can get to a point where youre sights move in slow motion. TGO, benos, doug, voight, jarrett, etc etc arent where they are because of luck or a 'feel.' they KNOW where that sight was when it LIFTED. they also know they arent jerking or pushing the gun which makes it easy for them to call the shot.

kenny brack was an indy car driver who got in a really bad wreck and was out for a long time. he came back at...indy? and tried to practice and qualify. he pulled himself because he said it was too dangerous. his eyes werent accustomed to the speed and he couldnt process the information fast enough.

the good guys shoot so much that theyre accustomed to the movement of the sights, its almost slow motion to them whereas to me its just like BANG, CLANK, and the sight is somewhat back in the notch.

idk, its only my opinion, but i do think its possible and a must to call your shots at a certain level.

BROBERTS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Warsaw IN.
    I admit I don't watch my sights as much as I should. Coach has ask why I have that $300 thing on top of my open gun and don't use it !!:dunno:

The only stage last weekend I watch the sight close was the one we had money riding on and I lost because I put 1 in the C and the rest A's. But some one else shoot all A's so I lost.

I work on that next year !!!

Skroggster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Kokomo, Indiana
    Nope I dont think its Impossible Im sure that Jerry can do it everytime just kidding I said for most people it almost impossible. Main reason there trying to go toooooo fast and most of the time they have to stop and come back to the target then all of thier speed was wasted most of the time. Not always. Well hell maybe I just need glasses:dunno:

Your Mom did tell" that" would make you go blind!:D

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    It is possible and I can do it. I have to get the stage programmed in and then after that only think about seeing my sights lift for every shot.

Coach can tell you when I do it, he can tell just by my cadence.
    Instead of:
    bangbang....bangbang....bangbang
    it is more of a
    bang..bang..bang..bang..bang..bang
    (if that makes sense to you)

If you go and watch the pro's shoot you will see this as well. They don't pull the trigger any faster than most of us, they do everything else faster,
    Draw faster, move faster, get into position faster, get out of position faster, reload faster, transition from target to target faster.

Notes from Manny's class:
    You have close distance, medium distance, long distance and danger target

Close- less than 3 yards, two fast shots indexed on the center of the target

Medium - 3-5 yards, indexed on center of target, see front sights lift on each shot
    (means that you may be a little off, front sight not 100% lined up in rear notch, little right or left, or high)

Long - 7 + yards,two aimed shots, two sight pictures, see sights lift on each trigger pull.

Steel is a long shot, 7+ yards

Danger target, a target with a no shoot, or hard cover, two aimed, two sight pictures, see sights lift on each trigger pull
    (cannot afford the penalty)

The difference in doing this slow or fast is all mental. If you are thinking of anything else like, where am I, when do I reload, where is that target, oh sh*t, did I just run past those, does my a$$ look fat, is the iron on, then you cannot be focusing your attention on watching your front sights lift.

The stage has to be programmed in, when the buzzer goes off everything you do is subconsciously, auto pilot. The only thing consciously you are doing is focusing on your front sight and seeing your sights lift on each shot.

Sure alot of instinct goes into, you get that from sending rounds down range lots and lots of rounds practicing this.

I never once yesterday had a stage programmed in until the classifier and the speed shoot because there was no thinking to them. I never had a great plan, and was concentrating on the movement in the stage and not the shooting. I did not see my front sight yesterday until the speed shoot with steel and the classifier and that was after I was able to clear my head and focus on seeing what I was supposed to be seeing.

Sounds funny to say that you have to remind yourself to look at your front sight and to watch them lift and call your shots, but with everything that you are doing while running a stage it is real easy to get caught up in just blasting away and watching the targets, not the sights.

Top Bottom