• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Wait a minute...,MODS!!! please step in here and stop allowing all of these thread jacks...this is a scheduled event...is it not?

Why are all of the nay sayers allowed to continue to post in here?

Why don't they start their own thread somewhere else, other than the event thread?

Oh, wait...mods are contributing to this violation.

The title of this thread, as it stands now, is "OC Black Friday Meet and Lunch 11/26/10 Discussion Thread"

I don't see anything that says only pro-OC comments allowed. The last couple years I have been active in this forum, all I hear from the pro-OC folks is how OC isn't about shock value. That OC isn't about getting a reaction from people. I hear claims that those who OC do so for tactical reasons, that questioning can result in education...but that isn't the primary purpose.

There have been a few posters who have posted about how they changed their habits for the sole purpose to get a reaction. One claimed that they were craving some police interaction. On two cases, the more well known OCers here came and said that OC shouldn't be about getting involved with cops, or trying to get reactions out of people.

Now we have a ton of pro-OCers, purposely OCing in downtown Indy, and why: They want to use shock value by means of OCing firearms to get reactions out of people. The folks involved in this, usual OCers or CCers, are no different than the MSM shock value news stories. After reading up to this point, the goal of this event is education. What does flashing your bling-bling firearms have to do with education? In my opinion, nothing. Education could easily be done by offering informational handouts.

Folks here should take Joe Williams comments very seriously:

As Mike Hilton so graphically demonstrated, there are people here who regard their fellow gun owners with the same contempt as the Brady Bunch does, and who do not support a drive to protect and regain our rights. It is a mistake to assume that merely because someone is a member of this site or a gun owner, maybe even one you've shot with before, that they are our friend, or a friend of our rights.

I think Joe really went out on a limb here. Why? Because all of my friends are pro-gun, yet out of about 15-20 people, I know of only one who OCs and is extremely pro-gun. Most of them would likely not support OC, and likely could careless if OCing was prohibited, so long as they would have the option of CCing. To compare these folks the Brady Bunch, who don't want citizens to own guns is laughable.

With that being said, I think it shows that the vast majority of pro-gun folks don't care to have American towns and cities mirror Mogadishu when it comes to folks walking around with AKs and handguns. Despite the desires of some here for such a society in the US, most just don't want it, and if it starts happening, will likely support local, state, and federal laws controlling it (ie: Urban vs. rural, while engaged in a shooting sport, etc type exemptions).

Folks want to think that the state law that prevents locals from enacting ordinances will prevent cities like Indy from enacting OC bans. I wouldn't be so sure. The law of the land is Heller, and the countries highest court ruled:

" Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited. From Blackstone through the 19th-century cases, commentators and courts routinely explained that the right was not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose. See, e.g., Sheldon, in 5 Blume 346; Rawle 123; Pomeroy 152–153; Abbott333. For example, the majority of the 19th-century courts to consider the question held that prohibitions on carrying concealed weapons were lawful under the Second Amendment or state analogues. See, e.g., State v. Chandler, 5 La. Ann., at 489–490; Nunn v. State, 1 Ga., at 251; see generally 2 Kent *340, n. 2; The American Students’ Blackstone 84, n. 11 (G. Chase ed. 1884). Although we do not undertake an exhaustive historical analysis today of the full scope of the Second Amendment , nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms."

All it takes is a few municipalities to fight the state when it comes to how people can carry, why, etc.. Heller really just gave us the right to have common firearms in our homes. As the above points out, past courts have upheld bans on even concealed carry.

Given what has happened in this country with concealed carry, I highly doubt there will be any change in that. However, I strongly feel that Indiana citizens should be damn happy with the system we have: Shall issue, just have to pass a background check and pay a fee. It is my personal opinion that given what was ruled in Heller, the high court would uphold: Bans on OCing in public, requirements for reasonable testing, licensing that has reasonable fees attached, and registration that has reasonable fees attached.

I have no problem with folks wanting to go out on a what would be a busy day, and share literature about the benefits of firearms ownership. However, the OCing of SKS rifles, AKs, ARs, and many handguns, especially those who will just have to tactical it all up (a rifle with two or three handguns on their waistband) will only paint the group has nuts. Any attempt to educate the person, or even provide some basic information on firearm ownership, will be lost in translation. If you think some non-gun owner soccer mom from Avon, Fishers, Greenwood, etc., who likely is OK with gun ownership, will magically want millions of people milling out in cities and towns with ARs, AKs, etc., you are wrong. And if someone says that isn't the point, I understand that, but that is the point these folks are going to think your trying to make: That society needs to be filled with people walking around with AKs, ARs, G3s, etc.. At this time, the vast majority of people in the US are not ready for that kind of society. If people really wanted that kind of society, they would move to Israel or Mogadishu.

Lastly, I haven't seen anyone make any comment about wanting to get arrested. However, it isn't going to look good to the tons of citizens folks are trying to educate when the cops show up and folks don't want to just hand over an ID, etc.. I feel the OCing of battle rifles, and even hunting rifles in an urban setting, already paints the group in a certain way. Having a pissing match with power hungry cops will, in my opinion, only paint the group as even more "wacko."

Again, I don't see anything wrong with comments against, or suggestions to do things different, being posted in this thread. This is about an event which can have an impact on all gun owners. So long the comments aren't nasty, why do they have to be 100% for this event as is?

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Because all of my friends are pro-gun, yet out of about 15-20 people, I know of only one who OCs and is extremely pro-gun. Most of them would likely not support OC, and likely could careless if OCing was prohibited, so long as they would have the option of CCing. To compare these folks the Brady Bunch, who don't want citizens to own guns is laughable.

Its easy to compare them to the Brady bunch if they dont care about the government infringing once again on our right to bare arms.

"It doesnt effect me so why should I care" is what got us to where we are now.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip

I think Joe really went out on a limb here. Why? Because all of my friends are pro-gun, yet out of about 15-20 people, I know of only one who OCs and is extremely pro-gun. Most of them would likely not support OC, and likely could careless if OCing was prohibited, so long as they would have the option of CCing. To compare these folks the Brady Bunch, who don't want citizens to own guns is laughable.

snip

Actually, comparing your friends to the Brady Bunch is not a fair comparison. Your friends are worse. They want to be able to carry THEIR guns, and couldn't care less about the rights of others. They are self centered, arrogant, and more accurately compared to Nancy Pelosi and Dianne Feinstein.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    I've been following this thread since it started, giving it a LOT of thought.

Anyone who knows me, knows I'm pro OC, hell, I OC 99% of the time. I'm pro individual rights, probably to a fault.

However, and this is simply something to think about....

You all are, of course, FREE to do whatever you wish within the law, and I wish you the best. It is very possible to push the envelope too far, and have the opposite effect that you want on the general public. I'm not saying one way or the other if this proposed walk is pushing too far, there really is no way to know until hindsight comes into play....just think about the REAL reason you want to do this, and IF this is the best way to accomplish the goal....

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    To set the record straight, I have posted previously that I am not a fan of OC. If someone is comfortable with OC, it is certainly within their right to do so. I will try to remain open minded and not be critical of the practice.

All along I've had mixed feelings about the Black Friday event. However, the more that's come out about it, and especially last night's news story, I personally believe the potential is for more harm than good. I think most would agree the news story did not present this event in a positive light. Therefore, whatever good that could possibly come from the Black Friday event has already been overshadowed by the publicity, which has been viewed by thousands of people.

This has been presented to the public as an "in your face" demonstation with questionable motives. We already have the right to carry, so what's the objective? I think the education motive has been lost in what has now become a controversy.

As my grandmother used to say, "be careful what you ask for because you may get it."

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    jv.jpg

:D

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Interesting perspective Josh.

I have learned a lot from this.

I was VERY against it when it was 5 man teams with rifles in the mall, I thought that was just stupid with a capital S, roleplaying a disaster scenario etc, then I was pretty convinced this was a giant "look how awesome I am" sausage wagging fest, but after following it I really think that ATF, SE, SJ and Joe really DO have 2A rights activism in their hearts, and really DO think this is a good way to get publicity and promote gun rights.

So I have a lot more respect for them then I started out with. I think they are "on our side" 100%. Maybe 150%. Maybe 50% TOO MUCH. :) JK.

THEN.... the news got involved. And things went south quickly, lots of bickering and finger pointing and "WHO CALLED THE NEWS!?!" and everyone on the story that was willing to talk was a negative viewpoint, and ....

Now I realize, the net result at this point in the game, has been a blow to gun rights in Indy. If anything, so far, its completly negative. Whos fault that is, dunno.

But at this point, I am wishing it didnt go down this way.

I have had so far this morning , 6 people come up to me at work knowing I am a shooter, and ask me about the news story from last night.

All 6 want the law changed to restrict the ability to openly carry firearms in the state.

So my personal experiance, is that the education that is going on, is of the unproductive sort. I now have my hands full with trying to not look like a kook myself here at work, even tho I am just a sport shooter. <I cant believe I wore my IDPA shirt today lol...>

I really think we need to play catch up now, and salvage this somehow. I dont think it should be called off at this point, and I DONT think that the people wanting to do it are "bad" or "agent provacatuers" or working against gun ownership at all. I really do think those guys are honest and trying to do the best they can.

We need to get behind them and salvage this bad situation.

my two cents.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Just an idea I'll toss out here. . . .

What if you called a sales rep from Rings Manufacturing ( Blueguns: Train Safe and Train Smart ) and told them of your walk, and the media attention its getting.

See if they'll send you 10 long guns and some some handguns to borrow. Maybe give them some ad space on your fliers, explaining what a blue gun is.

That way, you accomplish the goal of getting people "used" to seeing guns carried openly and you make your "statement", but the public safety aspect is taken care of because they're inert blue guns.

You get the 'flash' without the 'bang'. :D

FSM4CS.jpg

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010

What if you called a sales rep from Rings Manufacturing ( Blueguns: Train Safe and Train Smart ) and told them of your walk, and the media attention its getting.

See if they'll send you 10 long guns and some some handguns to borrow. Maybe give them some ad space on your fliers, explaining what a blue gun is.

That way, you accomplish the goal of getting people "used" to seeing guns carried openly and you make your "statement", but the public safety aspect is taken care of because they're inert blue guns.

FSM4CS.jpg

Yeah sure esRICE, blue guns ... probabaly made in CHINA! AHA! Busted AGAIN you commie!

Freaking chinese, man....

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield

(M)ad Man hits one out of the park! I really like this idea :yesway:

But what if somebody actually tries to commit a violent crime against the OCer's they will be all carrying trainers :):

Do they carry blue 642s in ankle holsters as a BUG. :rockwoot:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The title of this thread, as it stands now, is "OC Black Friday Meet and Lunch 11/26/10 Discussion Thread"

I don't see anything that says only pro-OC comments allowed. The last couple years I have been active in this forum, all I hear from the pro-OC folks is how OC isn't about shock value. That OC isn't about getting a reaction from people. I hear claims that those who OC do so for tactical reasons, that questioning can result in education...but that isn't the primary purpose.

There have been a few posters who have posted about how they changed their habits for the sole purpose to get a reaction. One claimed that they were craving some police interaction. On two cases, the more well known OCers here came and said that OC shouldn't be about getting involved with cops, or trying to get reactions out of people.

Now we have a ton of pro-OCers, purposely OCing in downtown Indy, and why: They want to use shock value by means of OCing firearms to get reactions out of people. The folks involved in this, usual OCers or CCers, are no different than the MSM shock value news stories. After reading up to this point, the goal of this event is education. What does flashing your bling-bling firearms have to do with education? In my opinion, nothing. Education could easily be done by offering informational handouts.

Folks here should take Joe Williams comments very seriously:

With that being said, I think it shows that the vast majority of pro-gun folks don't care to have American towns and cities mirror Mogadishu when it comes to folks walking around with AKs and handguns. Despite the desires of some here for such a society in the US, most just don't want it, and if it starts happening, will likely support local, state, and federal laws controlling it (ie: Urban vs. rural, while engaged in a shooting sport, etc type exemptions).

Folks want to think that the state law that prevents locals from enacting ordinances will prevent cities like Indy from enacting OC bans. I wouldn't be so sure. The law of the land is Heller, and the countries highest court ruled:

" Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited. From Blackstone through the 19th-century cases, commentators and courts routinely explained that the right was not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose. See, e.g., Sheldon, in 5 Blume 346; Rawle 123; Pomeroy 152–153; Abbott333. For example, the majority of the 19th-century courts to consider the question held that prohibitions on carrying concealed weapons were lawful under the Second Amendment or state analogues. See, e.g., State v. Chandler, 5 La. Ann., at 489–490; Nunn v. State, 1 Ga., at 251; see generally 2 Kent *340, n. 2; The American Students’ Blackstone 84, n. 11 (G. Chase ed. 1884). Although we do not undertake an exhaustive historical analysis today of the full scope of the Second Amendment , nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms."

All it takes is a few municipalities to fight the state when it comes to how people can carry, why, etc.. Heller really just gave us the right to have common firearms in our homes. As the above points out, past courts have upheld bans on even concealed carry.

Given what has happened in this country with concealed carry, I highly doubt there will be any change in that. However, I strongly feel that Indiana citizens should be damn happy with the system we have: Shall issue, just have to pass a background check and pay a fee. It is my personal opinion that given what was ruled in Heller, the high court would uphold: Bans on OCing in public, requirements for reasonable testing, licensing that has reasonable fees attached, and registration that has reasonable fees attached.

I have no problem with folks wanting to go out on a what would be a busy day, and share literature about the benefits of firearms ownership. However, the OCing of SKS rifles, AKs, ARs, and many handguns, especially those who will just have to tactical it all up (a rifle with two or three handguns on their waistband) will only paint the group has nuts. Any attempt to educate the person, or even provide some basic information on firearm ownership, will be lost in translation. If you think some non-gun owner soccer mom from Avon, Fishers, Greenwood, etc., who likely is OK with gun ownership, will magically want millions of people milling out in cities and towns with ARs, AKs, etc., you are wrong. And if someone says that isn't the point, I understand that, but that is the point these folks are going to think your trying to make: That society needs to be filled with people walking around with AKs, ARs, G3s, etc.. At this time, the vast majority of people in the US are not ready for that kind of society. If people really wanted that kind of society, they would move to Israel or Mogadishu.

Lastly, I haven't seen anyone make any comment about wanting to get arrested. However, it isn't going to look good to the tons of citizens folks are trying to educate when the cops show up and folks don't want to just hand over an ID, etc.. I feel the OCing of battle rifles, and even hunting rifles in an urban setting, already paints the group in a certain way. Having a pissing match with power hungry cops will, in my opinion, only paint the group as even more "wacko."

Again, I don't see anything wrong with comments against, or suggestions to do things different, being posted in this thread. This is about an event which can have an impact on all gun owners. So long the comments aren't nasty, why do they have to be 100% for this event as is?

One important point about the quote from Heller that Justice Scalia did not mention is that yes, courts did uphold restrictions on CC, but they did so originally because to carry concealed was unusual and thought to be somewhat underhanded when everyone else OCd normally as a matter of course. In addition, some of the courts supported the racist reasoning of keeping firearms out of the hands of "undesirables", by which term, of course, they meant, Black people or Italian people or really, anyone who didn't look "just like us".

Further, in the discussion with my state senator who did, in fact, vote against the bill I mentioned before after he said he would vote for it, one of the reasons he cited to me was that while I might think it acceptable for 35,000 people on a college campus to be carrying guns around, he did not. (This of course completely ignores the facts that it would be closer to about 2100, or 6%, and that those 2100 or so already do carry everywhere else.)

I really, truly hope this goes well and doesn't set our pro-gun-rights efforts back by years.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

FSM4CS.jpg

I knew there was a reason Fenway gave you that promotion and raise, Evan!

(M)ad Man hits one out of the park! I really like this idea :yesway:

But what if somebody actually tries to commit a violent crime against the OCer's they will be all carrying trainers :):

Do they carry blue 642s in ankle holsters as a BUG. :rockwoot:
    As long as they stayed outside the mall, they could CC the real thing, be safe, and not alarm anyone, without having to worry about either being asked to leave or being charged with trespassing, and still accomplish their stated purpose.

Blessings,
    Bill

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Yup, you got me. I mentioned to Ed, if he was interested in putting something together I would be happy to help him with it.

There's the giant conspiracy.
    I have read every post, and I have two things to say, Lars, if you are planning something with Ed, then count me in... I have known Ed, for about 10 years, and I think he is a stand-up guy... I wish all of the 2A "walkers" well, and hope it turns out OK !!!!! :patriot: :yesway: :twocents:

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Nothing crazy happened in the past two walks, even though there were all sorts of negative talk on here about what could go wrong...same was said about the Tea Party events held downtown. The threat of "what could happen" caused my parents to not show up in something they believed. A bunch of anti's even made threats to cause problems, but Nothing bad at all...NOTHING!
    I will not allow anyone that uses threats towards us for exercising our constitutional rights to intimidate me. I stand for something, do you? A right not exercised is a right lost.

We will have a peaceful event and our mission of informing the public about their constitutional rights will prevail.:patriot:

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Nothing crazy happened in the past two walks,

A right not exercised is a right lost.

Maybe not in the past walks you refer to, however the thread about an INGO 'er being cuffed is still alive.

And a right not exercised well is a right that can lost as well.

Last edited:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    There has been some great advice passed along in this thread... I just read the whole thing.

Problem is, a lot of damage has been done.

How the media was handled is a perfect example of what not to do. I think there was the best of intentions, but it seems obvious that no one was prepared or understood how to deal with media attention. Handing out a flier the day of the event is not the way to handle the media.

Techres offered some great tips.

Good luck to everyone!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom