• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    FWIW Type 1 Diabetes SUCKS. Got a call today that my daughter's blood sugar spiked to 400 and she had moderate ketones. Changed the plans for the family as we are now dealing with a sick kid. Apparently her pump disconnected and insulin was not being administered. We corrected with a couple of insulin injections. Blood sugar is now in the low 200s and slowly dropping. It will be a few more hours before we can breath a sigh of relief.

Anyone on NWI INGO want to see precision rifleman? I have to admit this is some heavy material.

If we can play it on a DVD or Blu-Ray player then I'll offer up the 1101 Cigar Lounge in Schererville as a place where it can be viewed.

We'd have to make sure the prospective viewing time does not conflict with Monday Night Football or any of the Sunday games . . . other than that it can be arranged for a viewing for up about a dozen people.

I will be spamming the NWI MSG shortly but I thought I might as well start here. Does anyone have the expertise and/or equipment for anchoring a safe? Yes, I plan on hitting YouTube but wouldn't mind having an experienced hand around when I do it. Plan on getting this done after the holidays. There might be a move involved but i think I can handle that. PM me or let me know on NWI MSG when I send it out, thanks.
    HAMMER DRILL and some concrete anchors will do the trick. The anchors can be easily purchased at any large hardware store, probably Tractor Supply too.

Not my kid but I'd be proud if it was!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Just a heads up, if you plan on traveling south on I-65, TAKE ANOTHER ROUTE

Its been backed up and crawling since before noon.

DON'T TAKE US41 either. . . I was in Schererville and Highland and 41 is a parking lot both ways north of US30. South of US 30 all the way to US 231 41 is slow but moving.

The zombies must be here and everyone is running south!!!!!

@T-star no my little girl would never use a PINK gun on someone. Those things are so uncivilized. She would instead cut you with one of these:

images

:laugh:

My son on the other hand would just use this:
    09_H%20BOMB.jpg

@Bob
    The daughter we have seen fencing on the video is that the one with diabetes?

-Jedi

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    The zombies must be here and everyone is running south!!!!!
    There is construction on I-65 so traffic is moving over to US41 and exiting 94 onto 41 Southbound to avoid the I-65 traffic jam. The problem is compounded by the shopping crowd that is jammed into the shopping area north of US30 along US41.

@Bob
    The daughter we have seen fencing on the video is that the one with diabetes?

Yup, the same kid. She is also the same one who has the 4.6 GPA on a scale of 0 to 4 and who wants to attend Oxford University this summer for a study program on the psychology of the criminal mind. And she is the one for whom I built 2 different pink AR15 rifles.

BTW, she is doing MUCH better now (just did another blood and ketone check at 4:20pm) and her levels are returning to normal.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    DON'T TAKE US41 either. . . I was in Schererville and Highland and 41 is a parking lot both ways north of US30. South of US 30 all the way to US 231 41 is slow but moving.

I'm sitting on the train now (work let me leave early!) and am dreading the drive from EC to Crown Point. Ugh. :n00b: :ar15:

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    Anyone into our group into archery and open to showing a fatty a thing or two?
    Also, is there anywhere good to go to "arch" around here. :D

I bought a bow from the classifieds here. It was cheap and I couldn't pass it up. I'm sure it's not the perfect draw length/weight for me, but it'll do to get me started.

I know sadclown is at least semi into it if not more so....but I'm hoping for more in the REAL NWI area. Time is at a premium with a 3 year old so the 2 hour drive out to sadclown would be a dealbreaker. I barely make it to the shoots. :):

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Anyone into our group into archery and open to showing a fatty a thing or two?
    Also, is there anywhere good to go to "arch" around here. :D

I bought a bow from the classifieds here. It was cheap and I couldn't pass it up. I'm sure it's not the perfect draw length/weight for me, but it'll do to get me started.

I know sadclown is at least semi into it if not more so....but I'm hoping for more in the REAL NWI area. Time is at a premium with a 3 year old so the 2 hour drive out to sadclown would be a dealbreaker. I barely make it to the shoots. :):
    ON TARGET ARCHERY on State Street, 1 block south of Sauk Trail, in Steger, IL. Its about 5 (?) miles due west of the IN/IL state line in Illinois. They have an indoor range and an outdoor range. They give lessons, have a full pro-shop, have a full repair shop too.

I just picked up a new PSE bow for my daughter there along with a dozen custom carbon fiber arrows (with pink fletches). I know very little about archery but my daughter is learning and the guys at ON TARGET ARCHERY seem to be very helpful. I've spent a reasonable amount of time in there asking them questions and getting what seem to be logical answers.

I tried to get answers at Cabelas and that was worse than asking a Democrat to explain the logic of deficit spending. Never, and I mean NEVER, go to Cabelas archery department and expect to get a rational answer!

There is a small home-run shop in Schererville, they are very knowledgable there too, but no range for practice and no real selection of in stock bows. They specialize in all sorts of arrows and custom work.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    HAMMER DRILL and some concrete anchors will do the trick. The anchors can be easily purchased at any large hardware store, probably Tractor Supply too.

I might PM you later with pics of what I have on hand (equipment). I think I have the right drill. Just have to figure out the anchors and look up some vids. I spent too much time under the hood of cars, playing with cameras, and playing with guns as a kid. I should have been hanging around tradesmen and learned a thing or two that I could actually use around the house instead.

BTW, I really hope your daughter recovers quickly this evening. Diabetes gets a big :noway: from me. Nobody in my immediate family has it but I deal with it on a continuing basis at work. It can be unforgiving if you don't pay attention. Best wishes and a prayer for you guys this evening!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I might PM you later with pics of what I have on hand (equipment). I think I have the right drill. Just have to figure out the anchors and look up some vids. I spent too much time under the hood of cars, playing with cameras, and playing with guns as a kid. I should have been hanging around tradesmen and learned a thing or two that I could actually use around the house instead.
    This is what the bolts look like.
    856274_lg.jpg

BTW, I really hope your daughter recovers quickly this evening. Diabetes gets a big :noway: from me. Nobody in my immediate family has it but I deal with it on a continuing basis at work. It can be unforgiving if you don't pay attention. Best wishes and a prayer for you guys this evening!
    I think we are in the clear. We are awaiting a call from the doctor.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'm sitting on the train now (work let me leave early!) and am dreading the drive from EC to Crown Point. Ugh. :n00b: :ar15:

Simple solution just move to EC on the Roxanna side and then you will never have to worry about traffic. :faint: :D

I'm on vacation until next year (oh that sounds so far away) so I'm glad I don't have to worry about that traffic.

Jedi, I like the way your son thinks! :D

I don't he is a terror when he does not get his way. He is going to the school of hard knocks from the looks of it. Stubborn and heck!

-Jedi

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    . . . The rest couldn't find their asses with both hands.
    Apparently I spoke to ALL of those guys. I left the store and bought my own butt plug because I was so confused. Still haven't figure out how to install it. Maybe I should go back for more help?

BTW, I've used these same anchor bolts all through warehouses to hold pallet racks into place that had capacities up to 100,000 pounds. Never had a rack tip over.

One BIG TIP is to drill the hole deep enough to drive the bolt all the way into the hole. If you ever decide to move your safe it will be easy to simply loosen the nuts and then drive the bolts into the concrete if the holes are deep enough, then you can slide the safe. If the holes are not deep enough to let you drive the bolts into the holes then you will have to lift the safe over the exposed portion of the bolts. Only after you lift the safe off the bolts can you then use a grinder to cut the exposed portion of the bolt off so its flush with the floor.

Been there, done that.

Much easier to drill a deep enough hole.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    BTW, I've used these same anchor bolts all through warehouses to hold pallet racks into place that had capacities up to 100,000 pounds. Never had a rack tip over.

One BIG TIP is to drill the hole deep enough to drive the bolt all the way into the hole. If you ever decide to move your safe it will be easy to simply loosen the nuts and then drive the bolts into the concrete if the holes are deep enough, then you can slide the safe. If the holes are not deep enough to let you drive the bolts into the holes then you will have to lift the safe over the exposed portion of the bolts. Only after you lift the safe off the bolts can you then use a grinder to cut the exposed portion of the bolt off so its flush with the floor.

Been there, done that.

Much easier to drill a deep enough hole.

Thanks for the tip. Now, I have to figure out how I am going to figure out where stuff is under the floor. The last thing I want to do is drill into a utility line (gas/electric/water/drain).

Drill looks like this one:

Milwaukee_5387_20_8_5_Amp_1_2_Inch_Hammer_Drill.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks for the tip. Now, I have to figure out how I am going to figure out where stuff is under the floor. The last thing I want to do is drill into a utility line (gas/electric/water/drain).

You won't hit a utility line.

A typical concrete slab in a basement, garage, etc is roughly 4" thick. Some are 6" thick. If you use a 4" bolt then about 3" will be below the floor surface and 1" will be above the surface. You need to drill a 4" hole for a 4" bolt. That means you will likely be drilling only the depth of the floor, any utilities will be under the floor, but NOT in the concrete floor.

That drill should do the trick. Use a concrete bit. Might want to buy 2.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    Simple solution just move to EC on the Roxanna side and then you will never have to worry about traffic. :faint: :D

I'm on vacation until next year (oh that sounds so far away) so I'm glad I don't have to worry about that traffic.

I don't he is a terror when he does not get his way. He is going to the school of hard knocks from the looks of it. Stubborn and heck!

-Jedi

That would save me quite a bit on gas! But eh. I'm just getting used to living out here, with farm animals across the street and no street lights.

I'd probably feel the same if I had to live with him! :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom