Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    :laugh:

You retired at 46?? If that is so then what do you call getting up and going to the cigar shop every day but Saturday to do business? :dunno:

SURE sounds like a JOB to me :laugh:

The difference is choice, rather than necessity.
    I actually get up to take my daughter to school.

Since I'm up I need something to do.

I need to do something during that time when she is at school so I go to the shop about 8:15, leave about 1:30. That is on days when I'm not running errands or doing other things. While I do admit that I order the premium cigars for the lounge, I don't know how to run the cash register.

Woodrow is correct, its choice. My daughter got very sick several years ago. I used to travel extensively for business and I worked long hours. While she was in the hospital I made up my mind to sell my company. Easiest decision of my life, I got home, called my lawyer and told him to sell. Found a buyer and started the wheels in motion. Been retired now for 4 years. My daughter is doing well, I get to spend a lot of time with her, time I didn't spend when she was younger.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    That was a good post, Bob. My father was similar...

A very good post.

At some point there comes a time in our lives when we have to make a choice.

My wife did it years earlier when she left private banking to become a school teacher, it gave her far more free time to spend with our daughter but my career kept me flying to distant cities, had me wrapped up in meetings and while it provided a good income didn't allow for a lot of good 'life.' It seemed like a good 'life' up until the time I saw my daughter in the hospital bed in Chicago . . .

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    Blasting in back yard.

Has anyone that has a back yard range done any shooting after the Lowell farmer was shot? I have done alot of shooting all summer and have not had any problems but people are on edge now. I just wonder what kind of response it would bring if someone called the police and said they heard gun fire. I have a feeling I might get some negative attention from LEO's. I wonder if I should give it a little more time or go ahead and do some shooting.
    I mentioned this to a friend and he suggested calling the county pd and telling them that I was going to be shooting. I don't know, I don't think I like that idea.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I mentioned this to a friend and he suggested calling the county pd and telling them that I was going to be shooting. I don't know, I don't think I like that idea.

Yeah, I remember when that construction worker was killed by hit and run at the I-80/ I-65 interchange earlier in the year. I called the police up there to tell them that I was going to be doing some driving in that area. I felt better for it.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I can see his way of thinking is to advise them, so that if they get a call about gunfire near my property I have allready let them know it is me so I don't get ten squads running up my property and guns pointed at me but I don't know about that theory.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I was sitting by the pool Sunday with some friends and there was plenty of shooting going on within earshot. Nobody seemed to take much notice of it. We were having a small party, most of the guests live in Lowell, we live about 5 miles west in West Creek township. The one guest from Chicago Heights seemed to be the most interested in the gunshots. I've heard shots most days, but then again, that is not unusual out here.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Wife and I are heading down to the 1500 on Saturday. I've never been, but it sounds like fun, but really, I've already got something cookin', or I wouldn't even bother going to a show that large.

Anyone else heading down?

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    I was sitting by the pool Sunday with some friends and there was plenty of shooting going on within earshot. Nobody seemed to take much notice of it. We were having a small party, most of the guests live in Lowell, we live about 5 miles west in West Creek township. The one guest from Chicago Heights seemed to be the most interested in the gunshots. I've heard shots most days, but then again, that is not unusual out here.

Isn't there a sportsmans club or something that is located behind your place that they shoot sporting clays at bob?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    For those that went to the NWI INGO Meet & Shoot I forgot to talk about this topic:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...iana_legal_open_carry_day-20.html#post1380525

Basically INGO Indy has done 2 OC walks this year around Indy and are looking to do another one. They are asking the other INGO groups to see if they would like to walk as well not at the Indy walk but in our local region. I posted saying I would bring it up with the group (ours) and see if we wanted to participate.

So what do you guys say? Are you interested in doing an OC walk in NWI **AT THE SAME DATE/TIME** that Indy does one? I told the INGO Indy group that I would be willing to coordinate the walk up in NWI but ONLY if we (NWI INGO) have a group willing to do the walk.

The walk is being done to help "normalize" the fact that in Indiana you can OC to your heart's content.
    So what say you?

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    We did talk about the Walk and Carry at the range. I might be speaking out of turn, but such events are so sparsely attended that they serve to have the opposite effect. Someone's kids walking down the street with ARs and 10-15 other people standing on the Capital steps with firearms is NOT the image I want to supply non-gun-owners. I saw the pictures of the Indy march...there was nothing about it that would in anyway "normalize" gun ownership.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I was gonna post about our convo in the other thread Woodrow, but since you brought it up here, no need.

I think most of us were in agreement that unless we could get 50+ (min) people to OC together, that it would be counter-productive to the cause.

(another post made just for jedi)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I was gonna post about our convo in the other thread Woodrow, but since you brought it up here, no need.

I think most of us were in agreement that unless we could get 50+ (min) people to OC together, that it would be counter-productive to the cause.
    Ok so what I'm hearing so far is unless we got 50 we (NWI INGO) won't do it. So the question becomes how many do we have right now?

1. Andy219 (he said he was walk here or down in Indy)
    Anyone else. Note this is NOT a sign up more just a general interest.
    Although I don't think we have 50 "active" NWI INGO but we do have a ton of "lukers" just like aclark. :laugh:

(another post made just for jedi)
    :bacondance:

What they said
    :dunno: Was not even aware that the group (not sure who) talked about it. But that is good from the point of view that the group did talk about it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    The conversation was just a casual meeting of the minds and somehow we got onto the topic of the Indy OC walk.

But I think it was a fair statement to claim that a gun rights walk that only had a half dozen or a dozen people standing around really does look sort of silly. Honestly I don't know that a group of 50 is big enough to make any political point. Hell if you think about it a labor union can get a dozen busloads of protesters to show up for an unpopular health-care takeover that more than 50% of the nation opposes and they fit 66 on a school bus. So if we can't get enough people to even fill a bus then I think we are talking about something that is pretty lame.

And despite the fact that politics are a hot topic on INGO, the reality is that, based on much of what I read here, many are ill informed, fewer are willing to participate and some small minority of members here seems plugged in.

Isn't there a sportsmans club or something that is located behind your place that they shoot sporting clays at bob?
    West Creek Sporting Clays is no longer in operation but it was located on the other side of the river from where I live. They still do pheasant hunts there on the farm during the legal season.

Several of my neighbors also have shooting ranges on their properties.

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    Ok so what I'm hearing so far is unless we got 50 we (NWI INGO) won't do it. So the question becomes how many do we have right now?

1. Andy219 (he said he was walk here or down in Indy)
    Anyone else. Note this is NOT a sign up more just a general interest.
    Although I don't think we have 50 "active" NWI INGO but we do have a ton of "lukers" just like aclark. :laugh:

:bacondance:

:dunno: Was not even aware that the group (not sure who) talked about it. But that is good from the point of view that the group did talk about it.

I was talking about the 2 post above me. It seems like it would look funny watching 5 or 6 guys carrying around town. but if there would be a few more people I would be inclined to do it.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    And despite the fact that politics are a hot topic on INGO, the reality is that, based on much of what I read here, many are ill informed, fewer are willing to participate and some small minority of members here seems plugged in.

This is it exactly. We would need hundreds at least, and even that wouldn't really help. Open-carry is legal in Indiana, so why march? I think if small groups of heavily-armed people took to milling about on the steps of any government building, open-carry laws would quickly fall out of favor.

When marches take place in DC, tens of thousands show up from around the country. This is the only type of action that would make any difference. If thousands from INGO and thousands from other state gun organizations marched in DC on a predetermined day, marchers might achieve the desired effect.

If we are to win the war, we must not be careless with the battles.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Well from what I gather this is the break-down that we have so far.

--interesed--
    andy219
    prometheus (has been doing some in vaplo with tea party events and/or something with no taxes i think)
    clif45
    bill b

Am "hoping" that prometheus would be our POC for NWI but not sure if he has actively stepped up for it yet.

Any other takers?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom