In the dark

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Jedi-

Stop by Meijer or Strack & Van Til and you'll find at least a half dozen different Reislings in stock. Mostly domestic. The occasional German.

Reisling is the type of grape, and the name of the wine.
    Spatlese is the ripeness of the grape.
    Nahe is the area/region.

But you probably won't find all 3 words on any of the bottles at the grocery store. Key to you is the term Spatlese, those are typically on the slightly dry side, but not truly dry Reislings.

In order of ripeness at harvest, and generally (but not always) in order of dryness to sweetness, kabinett, spätlese, auslese, beerenauslese, trockenbeerenauslese and eiswein (ice wine). The problem is that most American Reislings won't have those words! So if you pick an American Reisling look for a description about how dry or sweet the wine is, some vineyards put a "scale" on the back that reads from DRY to SWEET and use an arrow indicator to describe the wine.

Also, don't be afraid of a Reisling in a screw top bottle or one with either a composite cork or a 'synthetic' cork. Since these wines are not meant to be aged, there is no reason for the vineyard to spend money on a cork. Many award winning Reislings have a screw off cap and cost under $20.

maddawg138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    La Porte
    :+1: on the whiskey or even another hard liquor. -10000 on the beer! :puke:

& that is why if you see the voting order here you probably only have 1/16 of a vote.
    :rofl:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...go-general-post-part-6-a-110.html#post4318071

Besides we can't give you 20 acres for free as we need all the open land to grow plants.... :whistle:

i just hate the blackouts i get from any hard alcohol whether its too much or just a few i blackout regardless. thats the only reason i drink beer....oh and its much cheaper too

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Jedi-

Stop by Meijer or Strack & Van Til and you'll find at least a half dozen different Reislings in stock. Mostly domestic. The occasional German.

Reisling is the type of grape, and the name of the wine.
    Spatlese is the ripeness of the grape.
    Nahe is the area/region.

But you probably won't find all 3 words on any of the bottles at the grocery store. Key to you is the term Spatlese, those are typically on the slightly dry side, but not truly dry Reislings.

In order of ripeness at harvest, and generally (but not always) in order of dryness to sweetness, kabinett, spätlese, auslese, beerenauslese, trockenbeerenauslese and eiswein (ice wine). The problem is that most American Reislings won't have those words! So if you pick an American Reisling look for a description about how dry or sweet the wine is, some vineyards put a "scale" on the back that reads from DRY to SWEET and use an arrow indicator to describe the wine.

Also, don't be afraid of a Reisling in a screw top bottle or one with either a composite cork or a 'synthetic' cork. Since these wines are not meant to be aged, there is no reason for the vineyard to spend money on a cork. Many award winning Reislings have a screw off cap and cost under $20.

Germans: confusing the world with ridiculous nomenclature.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Jedi, here are a few suggestions for some nice Rieslings. Most the domestics are coming out of Washington right now.
    Ch. St Michelle
    The main ones are all Columbia Valley. They have 3; Dry, "normal", and Harvest Select. The "normal" is just "Riesling" on the bottle and is the #1 domestic Riesling in the US, 91 point rating. The Harvest Select is 88pts I believe. Run about $7.99-$9.99 depending on store.
    They also have an Eroica which is a colab between CSM and Dr. Loosen. It is still a domestic but with a German flair to it. Its a FANTASTIC Riesling but a little pricier at $19.99. Also a 90/91pts wine.

Washington Hills is another nice domestic and runs about $6.99-8.99. Lost of flavor, and nicely balanced.

If you want German look for Leonard Kreusch. One of the top German wine makers. My German Riesling knowledge is not quite as extensive, and the portfolio is Gigantic, but there are lots of options here. Meijer carries the Blue Bottle Auslese or Spaetlese out of Rheinhessen, I believe, or they did at least.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    On wines...

That blue bottle was the first sweet wine I had tasted. Prior to that the wines I had tasted were sour and red.
    That is about all the wine knowledge I have. I like sweet stuff.
    It does not matter to me if it's from Germany or elsewhere so long as it's sweet.
    Like I said those were a gift to me from someone who had a contact with a german wine import company.

Going to have to print out your post clark/bob for the next time I go shopping.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    AK price WTF!!!

ARSSAM7SF-84(1).jpg

:scratch:
    Is that what AKs are going for now-a-days? Or is it just because of the "milled receiver"?
    The info came from Midwest via email.
    Midwest Gun Exchange Weekly Email Specials

Have they lost their minds! Or have AKs really gone up that much?
    Jedi knows when he got his WASR from Bylthes (Valpo) back when O won the 1st time he paid $500 for it. Yes that may have been a lot back then but then again it was my first rifle and my O present to jediself. (:woot: new word there!!!)

Still the price above is approaching AR prices!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    That blue bottle was the first sweet wine I had tasted. Prior to that the wines I had tasted were sour and red.
    That is about all the wine knowledge I have. I like sweet stuff.
    It does not matter to me if it's from Germany or elsewhere so long as it's sweet.
    Like I said those were a gift to me from someone who had a contact with a german wine import company.

Going to have to print out your post clark/bob for the next time I go shopping.
    If you like sweet, easy to drink wines then try a Columbia Winery Harvest Select.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    :scratch:
    Is that what AKs are going for now-a-days? Or is it just because of the "milled receiver"?
    The info came from Midwest via email.
    Midwest Gun Exchange Weekly Email Specials

Have they lost their minds! Or have AKs really gone up that much?
    Jedi knows when he got his WASR from Bylthes (Valpo) back when O won the 1st time he paid $500 for it. Yes that may have been a lot back then but then again it was my first rifle and my O present to jediself. (:woot: new word there!!!)

Still the price above is approaching AR prices!

Settle down ... yours isn't worth thousands. It's the name and milled receiver with a dash of insanity.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I read that this morning. It sounds like a good idea but it only has a 3 foot reach. Your attacker has to be on you and more then likely you are gone to spray yourself too.

Yep ... I think more research and development is needed. I hope a major manufacturer jumps on board with her idea.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    meh

I saw that in the newspaper too.

Major flaw is that it is a TWO HANDED operation. Raise the weak side arm that is wearing the bracelet, then use the strong side hand to operate it.

Clearly it is better than nothing, but if that shoots a STREAM instead of a CONE/FOG then I think it will require A LOT of practice to get accurate with it. Even if it uses a CONE or FOG shape spray, I question the ability to reasonably aim. I think it would be a lot better if it wore on your wrist but quickly detached and was used by your strong hand in a conventional manner. That way the wrist band simply would be used to carry it and deploy it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom