Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Wild Deuce said:
    My son knew that the weather forecast was calling for this weather. I tried to dissuade him before he left on Friday. Now he's stuck. I'll do what I can but I'm endangering anyone (including rescuers) just to save his job when he should have known better.
    Ditto. In the case of Melen, she doesn't start classes until NEXT week, but this week she has a bunch of optional activities. No need to endanger myself, my daughter or anyone who would have to rescue us, if we went off on a fools errand.

Wild Deuce said:
    :yesway: You know some stuff.
    With age comes wisdom :oldwise:

Its a very common saying (the English translation) in the hiking/backpacking community. Origins can be traced to both Swedish and Norwegian cultures so its safe to say it is of Scandinavian origin.

Wild Deuce said:
    It looks like I will be focused on the driveway today ... slow and steady with breaks. Good news ... I'll get my ab workout in. :rolleyes:
    I'm down here complaining that I don't have a heated cab on my tractor, I think you have it worse, but you get a better workout!!! :yesway:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The wife and I are both working from home today. I haven't even tried to start the tractor yet. Not sure it will when I do. We do not have a heated barn. It was 8 degrees in the barn this morning when we fed the horses.

With the State of emergency still active, I have no plans to even try to go any where. I saw on the news that they have actually blocked the entrance ramps to 94 and 65 with snow so that people cannot get onto them.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The wife and I are both working from home today. I haven't even tried to start the tractor yet. Not sure it will when I do. We do not have a heated barn. It was 8 degrees in the barn this morning when we fed the horses.

With the State of emergency still active, I have no plans to even try to go any where. I saw on the news that they have actually blocked the entrance ramps to 94 and 65 with snow so that people cannot get onto them.
    No plans to go anywhere today but I'm getting stir crazy inside the house. Got to go out and so something. Even if it is stupid to go out and play in the snow. I've to the gear to go out, its just silly to do so if there is no NEED to do so.

baddyna96

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Demotte, IN.
    As of 11:00 this morning, there were 2 ISP cars blocking the ramps at I65 and RT 231 in CP. There are tractor - trailers parked on the eastbound side of the road, just waiting to get on.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    If the neighbor directly across the street is content to stand and watch (for at least ten minutes) my wife struggle with the drifts at the end of the driveway without an offer to help, I don't think I will be borrowing anything from them. We'll just start shoveling and see if anyone else offers to help. So far, it has been silent out there. Nobody clearing anything yet.

I agree. My son knew that the weather forecast was calling for this weather. I tried to dissuade him before he left on Friday. Now he's stuck. I'll do what I can but I'm not endangering anyone (including rescuers) just to save his job when he should have known better.

:yesway: You know some stuff.

If you can make it here, you're welcome to pick through my fridge and cupboards.

ADDED: Just finished watching the press conference. It doesn't look like they will be opening anything up anytime soon. They have to bring crews up from the southeast corner of the state. It looks like I will be focused on the driveway today ... slow and steady with breaks. Good news ... I'll get my ab workout in. :rolleyes:

Your son reminds me of my daughter and SIL, a year ago October when Hurricane Sandy hit the east coast. They were at his mothers house in Queens, New York and the wife called them many times to get out of there before the hurricane hit and told her she didn't know anything. When the storm hit, the daughter said she wished they had left for home and it took an extra week before they left because of the storm. Kids just don't think about the big picture.

baddyna96

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Demotte, IN.
    Really, the roads aren't too bad, snow and ice packed down but passable. Did see a couple of people that really shouldn't be driving. 10 mph with the white knuckle grip going on.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Her name was Lola; she was a showgirl...

We are all in trouble, two Barry Manalow fans singing and can't find the mute button.

Just woke up and to early to spell the word mute. Can't get the image of Larry singing Barry Manalow out of my mind.

I write te songs that make te whole world sing......

The 1101 Cigar Lounge/aka da 'NWI INGO Clubhouse' the shop OPEN.

I wish i could visit.

Rethinking my decision to NOT have a cab on my tractor.

Its hard to use a tractor when you have woods/trees that you work in or around, but when its -15 degrees F outside an open tractor seat is not really the 'best seat in the house' to occupy. The tractor is in a heated garage, temp in the garage is set to 49 degrees to keep anything from freezing. But open one of the doors and it gets cold in there FAST.

I'll probably go out later to bust the drifts out of the driveways, head down the road to my friend's house where his wife is stranded in the house and he is stuck at his machine shop up in Highland and clear out his driveway. I cleared all of them yesterday and looking out the front door my driveway is in pretty good shape. So sometime, when there is minimal wind, and plenty of sunshine, I'll bundle up and head out. Shouldn't have to be outside very long.

Anyone else heading outside today?

I wish. My Escape has been in the parking lot 24 hrs. Im sure its buried.

On a serious note, I'm not sure I will make it out today. It will take the three of us (me, wife, daughter) a couple hours to clear the driveway ... including that nasty, crusted over, frozen gift from the snow plow at the end of the driveway. I had to pick up my son in Indy yesterday, which didn't happen obviously. That trip was pushed to today but with the roads still closed and me still having to dig out, that's questionable as well. His employer cut him some slack for his work shift today but I don't know if they will do it again for tomorrow. Anyway I cut it, I see a digging out followed by a four hour (or more) drive within the next 12 to 16 hours (I have to work tomorrow as well).

Get that snowblower. Get a good one.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And I found one of the guys that squirreled away extra meals brought in yesterday. I was too tired to yell at him for stealing my dinner.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I have been starting my vehicles every 8-12 hours for about a half hour or so. Is this a good idea or am I just wasting fuel? My work car is burried in a drift in back and will get started when the snow melts... Haha..

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I have been starting my vehicles every 8-12 hours for about a half hour or so. Is this a good idea or am I just wasting fuel? My work car is burried in a drift in back and will get started when the snow melts... Haha..

I'm not a mechanic so someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe cars do not have to be in motion for the alternator to work, so this practice would at least help keep your battery charged. I imagine it would also help keep fluids from congealing/freezing, but again....I could be wrong.

baddyna96

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Demotte, IN.
    I'm not a mechanic so someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe cars do not have to be in motion for the alternator to work, so this practice would at least help keep your battery charged. I imagine it would also help keep fluids from congealing/freezing, but again....I could be wrong.

You are correct sir.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Whew ... stick a fork in me. I'm done. Now ... why did I leave the south again?

Your son reminds me of my daughter and SIL, a year ago October when Hurricane Sandy hit the east coast. They were at his mothers house in Queens, New York and the wife called them many times to get out of there before the hurricane hit and told her she didn't know anything. When the storm hit, the daughter said she wished they had left for home and it took an extra week before they left because of the storm. Kids just don't think about the big picture.

Oh ... It's not that they don't think about or don't see the big picture, it's that they know better.

Get that snowblower. Get a good one.

Taking recommendations right now.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Don't get a craftsman, mine is going back as soon as the roads are open again. Cleared the drive last night and it was fine. Went out this morning and did mine and helped my neighbor, as I was doing the sidewalk in between the power just dropped. The auto drive barely had power to move the blower, and it went from throwing snow about 10-15ft to throwing it about 2-3ft and sounds bogged down in about 4" of snow. Guess I'll be upgrading to a Toro now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom