Not open for further replies.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Cool.

I was wondering the same thing about the ILL CCW. I might be interested. The one I was looking at was 8 hrs + 8 hrs. If I can get it for 3 hrs + ?, I may want to know more about it.
    Yes, you need to know more about it... Because you misunderstand... :):
    IL ccw has a 16 hour training requirement. There is no short cut. I did NOT say I could do that course in 3 hours. The First STEPS Pistol Orientation Course is 3+ hours. IT DOES NOT COUNT anything towards the IL ccw.
    The Basic Pistol course is 8 hours and counts for 8 hours toward the IL ccw.

To answer the other question, the other 8 hours is IL specific approved curriculum. I am working with IL on that but there is red tape because I am not a resident.
    Basically, it's about the IL law and cc methods, drawing from cc and doing it dry and live. Part of it is proving to the instructor you can draw and fire from cc with competence.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    IL ccw has a 16 hour training requirement. There is no short cut. I did NOT say I could do that course in 3 hours. The First STEPS Pistol Orientation Course is 3+ hours. IT DOES NOT COUNT anything towards the IL ccw.

To answer the other question, the other 8 hours is IL specific approved curriculum. I am working with IL on that but there is red tape because I am not a resident.
    Basically, it's about the IL law and cc methods, drawing from cc and doing it dry and live. Part of it is proving to the instructor you can draw and fire from cc with competence.
    They are making it as hard as they can

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI

Everything that I have read and been told we as Indiana residents can't even get a non resident IL CC permint because are license are not up to par with IL. If I'm wrong PLEASE correct me with facts not I heard this at my LGS.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Yes, you need to know more about it...

... Basically, it's about the IL law and cc methods, drawing from cc and doing it dry and live. Part of it is proving to the instructor you can draw and fire from cc with competence.

I have an IN LTCH, my sister-in-law has New Mexico (resident) and Utah (non-resident) licenses. My daughter and I were going to shoot at our backyard range one day and my SIL asked to come with. She brought her gun. She asked me to show her how to use it.

I'm not a fan of the mandatory training. She had to take training & shooting proficiency for her New Mex license. Not sure about Utah. She still didn't have a clue. But she is legally allowed to carry in quite a few more states than I.

All that said, I suspect that many people from Illinois will be about as proficient as she was.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Everything that I have read and been told we as Indiana residents can't even get a non resident IL CC permint because are license are not up to par with IL. If I'm wrong PLEASE correct me with facts not I heard this at my LGS.

It is my understanding that NON-Illinois residents must attain an Illinois Non-Resident License and take all the required classes, etc. But I may not fully understand their law.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    My understanding is that the UT requirements are a joke. All classroom and fodder. My brother lives in Salt Lake and just bought his first handgun, so I will get a first hand account of that soon.
    The big difference in the IL requirements is that you actually have to learn and demonstrate live fire from concealment.
    I'll also offer up this point, I recently did an 8 hour basic pistol for 3 guys that all have over 20 years shooting each. One ret. usmc, one former sport shooting competitor... At the completion of the class they all said that they had learned something they didn't know.

As for IL and IN, to my understanding at this point, Il will not issue a non resident permit solely based on your IN ltch because it does not materially meet the il training requirements for approval. There is nothing that says you cannot meet the requirements and apply for a non resident permit. Look at FL non resident for example. They don't just toss you one because you have an IN ltch. You have to have approved training.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    My understanding is that the UT requirements are a joke. All classroom and fodder. My brother lives in Salt Lake and just bought his first handgun, so I will get a first hand account of that soon.
    The big difference in the IL requirements is that you actually have to learn and demonstrate live fire from concealment.
    I'll also offer up this point, I recently did an 8 hour basic pistol for 3 guys that all have over 20 years shooting each. One ret. usmc, one former sport shooting competitor... At the completion of the class they all said that they had learned something they didn't know.

As for IL and IN, to my understanding at this point, Il will not issue a non resident permit solely based on your IN ltch because it does not materially meet the il training requirements for approval. There is nothing that says you cannot meet the requirements and apply for a non resident permit. Look at FL non resident for example. They don't just toss you one because you have an IN ltch. You have to have approved training.
    And that's why I may not understand the IL non resident permint. Everyhing that I've read and been told the only way you can get a non resident permint that you must have a permint/license in your state that is equal to IL and you still have to take their course. Can you get a non resident permint if you don't have a license in your state?

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I've taken the Non-Resident Utah CCW class and yes it is just basic this is a gun and this is how to handle it safely type of thing. With that said it gives me legal carry ability in States that wouldn't allow my Indiana LTCH to carry there so I took it. I'm looking at the Florida License currently as from what I am reading it will give me carry ability in New Mexico and Kansas which neither of my Utah or Indian a ones will suffice for.

I travel to Illinois for clients sometimes and would probably consider the Illinois license requirements and expense a business expense. Although I'm sure the extreme pricing is meant to keep as many people as possible from carrying by the powers that be over there.

By the way, correct me if I'm wrong but it is my understanding that Florida accepts the Indiana LTCH but offers a non-resident license to try to gain revenues from offering the license basically....

Soooo would the Florida license requirements suffice some of the class requirements of the Illinois one as the Florida one requires live fire within it's scope ?

On the education note of this training.... No matter how long you have been shooting and how long you have been carrying you will always take the chance of learning something new while going through a class, no matter how simple or hard the class content is... it's like life you learn something new everyday if your eyes and ears are open to whats going on around you....

I'd be interested in your course work... Although I'm currently waiting to see when our local instructor is going to start offering instructors courses.... Not sure if that will suffice for Illinois or not...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    My understanding is that the UT requirements are a joke. . . .
    Which is why I also mentioned she had a New Mexico license. They have a proficiency requirement.

And I suspect that even with 16 hours of training, proficiency requirements, etc, many of the Illinois gun owners, especially those in the greater Chicagoland area, will be ignorant fools because they will not train. And in fact its nearly impossible for many of them to train because they have to travel long distances (many may not even own a car) to get to ranges (which also are not serviced by public transportation).

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I've taken the Non-Resident Utah CCW class and yes it is just basic this is a gun and this is how to handle it safely type of thing. With that said it gives me legal carry ability in States that wouldn't allow my Indiana LTCH to carry there so I took it. I'm looking at the Florida License currently as from what I am reading it will give me carry ability in New Mexico and Kansas which neither of my Utah or Indian a ones will suffice for.

I travel to Illinois for clients sometimes and would probably consider the Illinois license requirements and expense a business expense. Although I'm sure the extreme pricing is meant to keep as many people as possible from carrying by the powers that be over there.

By the way, correct me if I'm wrong but it is my understanding that Florida accepts the Indiana LTCH but offers a non-resident license to try to gain revenues from offering the license basically....

Soooo would the Florida license requirements suffice some of the class requirements of the Illinois one as the Florida one requires live fire within it's scope ?

On the education note of this training.... No matter how long you have been shooting and how long you have been carrying you will always take the chance of learning something new while going through a class, no matter how simple or hard the class content is... it's like life you learn something new everyday if your eyes and ears are open to whats going on around you....

I'd be interested in your course work... Although I'm currently waiting to see when our local instructor is going to start offering instructors courses.... Not sure if that will suffice for Illinois or not...
    Becoming a TC or Coach is pretty involved. Don't think i'll get above instructor level any time soon.
    To answer your question, if you get a pistol instructor rating it does not automatically suffice for IL CCW, but it does give at least half, just like the basic pistol course. I will do my best to clarify all of this with ILSP later this week.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bball4life1234
    Top Bottom