• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I remember one time at Bdubs, a certain well known member of the USPSA community, had a waitress BEGGING him to give her his number, so she could come over to his house for "Private Shotgun Lessons".

At one point she said "Oh I will pay you! I am so excited" and he replied smoothly "You dont have to pay me."

Which he reluctantly accepted, all in the name of expanding the sport.

I felt like pistol whipping myself in the head out in the parking lot.

Why, oh WHY didnt I think of that when I was young!?!

What happens at Bdubs, stays at Bdubs... Unless it asks you for shotgun shooting lessons and gives you it's number ;)

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have wanted too, but family matters have made it tough for me. I'm planing on making at least one event this next year. Hopefully things will calm down a bit by Spring time.

dodgetech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    West Lafayett, IN
    Well my name is Jarrod and I am new to the fourm but this is one of the reasons why I came here is to get info on getting into competitions I pretty much only shoot in my back yard now I have only been to a "range" once in my life and that was prolly 2 years ago I guess I really didnt see a need in spending more money to shoot a different places when i could spend the money on more ammo and trigger time in the back yard. But I am very interested in where I need to go and what all I should need to compete I mainly practice with small bore rifle and would really like to compete in a small bore class but dont know where any are or how to get in them.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Well my name is Jarrod and I am new to the fourm but this is one of the reasons why I came here is to get info on getting into competitions I pretty much only shoot in my back yard now I have only been to a "range" once in my life and that was prolly 2 years ago I guess I really didnt see a need in spending more money to shoot a different places when i could spend the money on more ammo and trigger time in the back yard. But I am very interested in where I need to go and what all I should need to compete I mainly practice with small bore rifle and would really like to compete in a small bore class but dont know where any are or how to get in them.

Come and shoot a couple of the Instructional Leagues I put on and you will know what to expect for club level matches. See ACT's sub form for the 2011 schedule and information.

WVPPS, ACC and FNS are good places to begin.

dodgetech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    West Lafayett, IN
    Hey thanks I will definatly have to go down there and try it out. I looked around but couldnt find dates for 2011 just 2010. If you can get me some dates I will definatly go down and try it out, im always up for learning new things.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Hey thanks I will definatly have to go down there and try it out. I looked around but couldnt find dates for 2011 just 2010. If you can get me some dates I will definatly go down and try it out, im always up for learning new things.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...4-2011_competition_dates_greencaslte_rcc.html

Here is a link to that thread. I post the league shoots one at a time when we get closer. Matches at WVPPS will start before the leagues as well. FNS is all year long in case you can't wait for warm weather.

dodgetech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    West Lafayett, IN
    Thank you Coach. I am sorry but im not quite sure what "FNS" is and also I looked at the page you had linked me to but it seems like maybe im not really equipt for that I am looking for somthing small like .22 rifle and or pistol match.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Thank you Coach. I am sorry but im not quite sure what "FNS" is and also I looked at the page you had linked me to but it seems like maybe im not really equipt for that I am looking for somthing small like .22 rifle and or pistol match.

friday Night Steel (FNS)

Steel challenge matches are the way to go with .22

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN

Steel at Marion County Fish and Game Association, Indianapolis, Indiana
    SCSA
    Check out these links, when we say "steel", this is what we are talking about. The club matches are a great way to get into it and meet some great people. I just started this year and I am hooked. There are classes specifically for rimfire. At the club level it is more like a group of friends getting together, nothing is at stake, everyone helps out, and there are no attitudes. There are other small bore type competitions, but this is a good place to start.:welcome:

dodgetech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    West Lafayett, IN
    Alright so I guess I just need to go down there on a friday and try it out? Thank you guys for the info I think this is somthing that I am interested in and could start doing providing that work does not get in the way

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    SCSA
    Check out these links, when we say "steel", this is what we are talking about. The club matches are a great way to get into it and meet some great people. I just started this year and I am hooked. There are classes specifically for rimfire. At the club level it is more like a group of friends getting together, nothing is at stake, everyone helps out, and there are no attitudes. There are other small bore type competitions, but this is a good place to start.:welcome:

Here's a more up to date link for Friday Night Steel:

Come out and shoot (or watch the first time, if you prefer). We'd love to have you!

dodgetech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    West Lafayett, IN
    Definatly will be there providing I dont have to work OT on those days. I should have my new stock in for my 10/22 before then so I know im gonna want to see how i do with that.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Digging up this thread to add a thought. I am a relatively new shooter and am pretty sure I would enjoy competing -- but only if I felt I was on par with the other shooters I am competing with! I have been working on my accuracy but don't feel ready to compete. I think every new shooter fears coming in dead last in a competition :)

My husband is also a new shooter. He has expressed NO interest in competition and has even tried to talk me out of my new interest. UNTIL... we were at the local range recently target shooting and the president of the club came over to him when he was checking his target, made a positive comment about his shooting and told him about the club matches, describing the stages and telling him, "That's pretty good shooting. I think you'd do pretty well in the matches. We have some great shooters, so you'd probably not come in first but I can tell you, you sure would not come in last!" That's all it took for my husband to start expressing some interest in participating in the matches.

I think individual attention and reassurance may be the most valuable tool in encouraging some new shooters to compete.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I've been telling new shooters for years to just come out and shoot and don't worry about the results, you won't ever come in last. Every match will have someone who has a terrible day, someones gun will break or some other thing will put someone at the bottom of the list. Even if you did come in last, who cares? It's just a game we do for fun.

Top Bottom