• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    A summary of what we've learned and discussed in this tread is important.

Clubs can attract new shooters by

• advertising their events and disciplines more. Many new shooters don't even know that there is a club that holds regular, organized events.
    • offering discounts to new shooters/first match free
    • offering discounts to junior shooters
    • hosting open house events where new shooters can learn about the facilities and disciplines offered in a safe, stress-light (nothing is free, folds) environment.
    • creating and promoting new shooter mentoring programs.
    • examine rimfire events and how they serve as gateway programs.
    Experienced shooters can attract new shooters by

• offering their skills and advice through formal mentoring and/or coaching (there is a difference).
    • loaning extra gear to new shooters who are interested, but haven't made the investment in equipment.
    • provide encouragement to new shooters at matches.
    • actively seek out new shooters and bring them along to matches they regularly attend.
    • helping them understand that it is only an equipment race if they choose for it to be one - stock gear is competitive for a long time for most shooters.
    • remember that there a probably more shooting sports that you DON'T participate in than those you DO.
    New shooters can help themselves by

• taking the first step. Understanding that most anything worthwhile is going to have a learning curve - shooting sports are no different.
    • asking LOTS of questions
    • learn about the sanctioning bodies and disciplines. There is NOTHING that says that if you tried USPSA and didn't like it that something like NRA 2700 or International Pistol matches might be more to your liking and temperament.
    • not being afraid to help. Matches take time and muscle to setup, run, and tear down. Many hands...
    • understanding that after SAFETY, FUN is the most important thing. If you make it competitive, that's up to you. No one will ever force your to care about a score.
    • understand that sport shooting can be VERY EXPENSIVE. How expensive is entirely up to you. World titles have been won with stock Glock 17s as well as $3k 2011s. All else being equal software > hardware.
    There might be many things missing, but that hits on most of the ideas shared here.

I think this is a great summary and this where we should all focus. Anyone else have any input to Slow1911's thorough summary?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Gents,

It's time to listen to those suggesting we let the troll dangle in the wind. Many of us have tried to vet him, to no avail. Any further efforts to question, quiz, or justify comments made are just pissin' in the breeze, fueling the troll's fire.

The troll will be back for a "drive by" tomorrow/today. We need to greet him with silence. Better yet, ignorance with advancement of the thread.

BTW - Machete don't text.:D

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    I think this is a great summary and this where we should all focus. Anyone else have any input to Slow1911's thorough summary?

In my personal experiece it takes one on one contact to get newbies off the fnece or even across the fence. This hold true for many things, not just the shooting sports. PERSONALLY invite them to the range, let them "play" with you guns/gear, help them along, TEACH them the safety rules!!! If there is a particular gun they have fondled in the gun stores ect they think may work for them, find one of your buddies that has one if you don't (THANKS again downrange), so on so forth, basically make the "road" as smooth as possible for them.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    In my personal experiece it takes one on one contact to get newbies off the fnece or even across the fence. This hold true for many things, not just the shooting sports. PERSONALLY invite them to the range, let them "play" with you guns/gear, help them along, TEACH them the safety rules!!! If there is a particular gun they have fondled in the gun stores ect they think may work for them, find one of your buddies that has one if you don't (THANKS again downrange), so on so forth, basically make the "road" as smooth as possible for them.

Anytime Josh. Being fairly new, you have promoted the sport well. The fact that you were able to convince a young lady to give this a try speaks volumes. I think she is going to be another addict as well. However, I don't think she will be able to keep up with Rhino, coach, and I at the endless shrimp.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Gents,

It's time to listen to those suggesting we let the troll dangle in the wind. Many of us have tried to vet him, to no avail. Any further efforts to question, quiz, or justify comments made are just pissin' in the breeze, fueling the troll's fire.

The troll will be back for a "drive by" tomorrow/today. We need to greet him with silence. Better yet, ignorance with advancement of the thread.

Couldn't help myself.......

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    In my personal experiece it takes one on one contact to get newbies off the fence or even across the fence.

Totally agree, I find this to be a crucial part. This is a big factor in why I suggest a "contact list" of veteran shooters who can be called, or welcome company in their homes, for new shooters to get some pressure free practice range time or maybe just some non opinionated advice or to answer questions a new guy may have.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    cnopale.jpg

Looks just like you ,sans mustache. The prickly-ness is what we love about you
    I wish I was good with photo shop:D

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Gents,

BWFRAME TROLL HUNTER

Sounds like a good movie and I agree with the above statement .

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    The fact that I have made it this long without getting any moderator infractions is amazing... must getting patient, or tired... or losing my touch.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    In the Christmas Spirit, I have just added what I expect will be the last userid to my lengthy IGNORE list. It is decided.

Now, I'm ready for endless shrimp and sassy waitresses . . . but do I have to wait until next year??!!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Now, I'm ready for endless shrimp and sassy waitresses . . . but do I have to wait until next year??!!

It looks like it. I'd meet ya somewhere, but I'm pretty booked until 2011.:dunno:

Surf and Turf is on now.
    subhead_menu_landing.gif

Enjoy one of three premium seafood-and-steak entrées during this ultimate event. Choose from our NEW! Chardonnay-Grilled Shrimp, succulent Grilled Maine Lobster Tail, or tender Snow Crab Legs, then pair it with our 8 oz. Peppercorn Sirloin*.
    Substitute our 14 oz. Center-Cut NY Strip* in place of the Peppercorn Sirloin
    in any of the three entrées above for 6.00.

All Surf & Turf entrées come with fresh salad and unlimited Cheddar Bay Biscuits®. Served with crispy red potatoes and choice of side.

mmm.
    Greenwood, Avon?

I'm not sure I'll have time to get away from dry fire practice though.:rofl:

gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    In the Christmas Spirit, I have just added what I expect will be the last userid to my lengthy IGNORE list. It is decided.

I keep waiting for some of you young organized fellers to arrange a git together at some watering hole for all the died in the wool "action pistol shooters" that love the sport and compete most every Sunday and don't know crap about salesmanship but would love to figure out a way to bring more folks into the fold so they too can have fun with their ol shootin irons. I reckon food and engineering fluid should be a part of this here shindig. With enough engineerin fluid we should have a good time and figure out somethin:rockwoot:Would one of you smart fellers, the ones that know everythin, fix my grammar? I think I missed a few comma"s. After all, I ain't got no book learnin. I just love to shoot guns:D :D:D

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Sounds like a great Idea to me FELLERs,,,,,,,,,, Just cant do to much of the engineering fluid. But I can sure put a dent in the surf and turf! Dont want to get back on that wagon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wouldnt be able to afford to shoot. Ole cactus leaf would probably come too!!!!!,,,,, lets see Book learning vs Years of experience. Ill stick with you gh2 :D I hear your pretty good at fixin them too!!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom