• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Being a new shooter, wanting to get involved, LOACATION-LOCATION-LOCATION. Central IN does have some places to shoot, but all are 30+ min away for many of us... ACC on the north side, MCFG, and Atterbury/IN Gun club really don't count. So, Location, timing, and advertising. Many of us out here are interested, but maybe hesistant driving somewhere, not knowing someone, and not knowing what to do when we get there. Just my $0.02 this morning. But I WILL get to a shoot this year! Somewhere...

Often there is carpooling. If we head to South Central in Freetown, we meet at Bob Evans at 65 and Southport. Bob Evans at Plainfield is generally the meeting place for Riley Conservation Club. Warsaw, the general meeting place is Bob Evans in Kokomo.

I'm seeing a general theme that might be a reason we all have expanding waist lines. :D

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    At Friday Night Steel, we don't charge for shooters under the age of 18 if accompanied by a paying adult. It's really helped boost the number of younger shooters, and has made our event more family oriented. I wish more of the shooting events in Indiana would follow our lead in an effort to get more youth involved. We actually saw an increase in paying shooters (Moms and Dads) likely because it was now cheaper to bring their kids along and participate.

Something like this, I know that I have two daughters, one in particular that would have fun with me doing this. Cost is an issue, first for a weapon system that would fit them, second the cost of ammunition for it. Adding all that up as a father of three with one on the way to college is a bit of a task for me to even consider lol. It's hard enough just for me to get to the matches as it is.

Also discounted training prices for minors. Not taking away from training or ACT or any other trainer, but if I were to bring 2 kids and myself to a class that costs $50-100 a person I'm looking at $500 for a day of shooting when you add ammo costs in. I know there are areas where I can make some of that money up in reloading and such, or having them shoot a 22lr, but for USPSA you can't use 22lr. Maybe if USPSA had a JR division that was 22lr and you had to be under the age of 18 to shoot it....Maybe special courses for begginers on a 22lr where there isn't any steel.

I have been lax in training my kids with the weapons I have, I've shown them the safety aspects of firearms, they know not to touch them, but I have not taken my girls out and handed them a full size Glock and shown them. Maybe that's my first step, just see what they can do. They have both plinked with my air rifle and have fun doing it.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    I have been lax in training my kids with the weapons...

I still remember the time when my youngest daughter was around 10 or 11 my wife came home early and found her in the prone position on top of the picnic table shooting my AR-15. Of course I was with her but it wasn't a pretty sight (for my wife anyway). Both of my girls learned gun safety and how to shoot at a young age.

Enjoy your time with your kids. Mine still talk about their younger days as I was teaching them how to handle and shoot a gun.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Being a new shooter, wanting to get involved, LOACATION-LOCATION-LOCATION. Central IN does have some places to shoot, but all are 30+ min away for many of us... ACC on the north side, MCFG, and Atterbury/IN Gun club really don't count. So, Location, timing, and advertising. Many of us out here are interested, but maybe hesistant driving somewhere, not knowing someone, and not knowing what to do when we get there. Just my $0.02 this morning. But I WILL get to a shoot this year! Somewhere...

I shoot every weekend. The closest USPSA club to me in Greenwood is still 75 minutes away. The furthest is over 3 hours.
    Unfortunately, they just don't have these right in everyone's backyard.
    It's sort of a commitment.:yesway:

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN

What can we as clubs/match directors do to get new shooters like you to come out?

Offer an orientation class?

What would you like to see in an orientation/new shooters class?
    Do you want to do live fire drills, shoot a stage, watch someone shoot a stage and explain what they did?

Have a squad for new shooters to be on together?

Would a video explaining:
    -Range Commands
    -Safety Rules
    -Types of gear/equipment needed
    Be helpful?

Where do we need to market the matches at?

What are we missing in attracting new shooters to come out and try or even watch a match?

Now we can't move ranges, and as Bill pointed out unfortunately we can't do this most of our backyards.
    Also that part of any orientation class there is going to be a good deal of time spent on safety first.
    Also there needs to be an understanding that this is not an hour long kind of thing, in order to be done right it would be a minimum of a 3-4 hour commitment of the new shooters part.

I hear alot of people saying a I want to, I want to, but then it comes down to well I can only do this between 9:00a-10:30 Saturday morning.

So for you new shooters please take a minute or two and respond to the above questions.

PLEASE SEND ME AN EMAIL (NO PM"S PLEASE)

jakemartens@comcast.net

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

Go shoot Friday Night Steel at MCFG... that's how I got started and where I met most of the people I shoot USPSA with.

We were all noobs once, then ends pretty quick once you shot a few times.

Don't complain about being in the middle of all the matches. I had it made when I lived up there (Southport), only about 60-90 minutes at the most from all the ranges.

Now I'm 45 minutes south of Riley near Terre Haute and a 2-3 hours away from the rest of the ranges.

Trust me, you have it made ;)

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Go shoot Friday Night Steel at MCFG... that's how I got started and where I met most of the people I shoot USPSA with.

We were all noobs once, then ends pretty quick once you shot a few times.

Don't complain about being in the middle of all the matches. I had it made when I lived up there (Southport), only about 60-90 minutes at the most from all the ranges.

Now I'm 45 minutes south of Riley near Terre Haute and a 2-3 hours away from the rest of the ranges.

Trust me, you have it made ;)

I agree, I'm pretty centrally located to most of the clubs in the state. If you live right by one of them, you are going to be further from the rest of them.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Now we can't move ranges, and as Bill pointed out unfortunately we can't do this most of our backyards.

I hear alot of people saying a I want to, I want to, but then it comes down to well I can only do this between 9:00a-10:30 Saturday morning.

I agree with Jake. It's like saying "I want to get into white water rafting, but, Oh, there aren't rapids w/in 15 minutes of my house? And I can't be home by noon?"

Then you don't REALLY want to try white water rafting.

There are not ranges in every neighborhood, and of the ones that are there few are suited to practical shooting.

-rvb

Reaper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Fishers, IN
    What can we as clubs/match directors do to get new shooters like you to come out?

Offer an orientation class?

Do you want to do live fire drills, shoot a stage, watch someone shoot a stage and explain what they did?

Have a squad for new shooters to be on together?

Would a video explaining:
    -Range Commands
    -Safety Rules
    -Types of gear/equipment needed
    Be helpful?

Where do we need to market the matches at?

What are we missing in attracting new shooters to come out and try or even watch a match?

Also that part of any orientation class there is going to be a good deal of time spent on safety first.
    Also there needs to be an understanding that this is not an hour long kind of thing, in order to be done right it would be a minimum of a 3-4 hour commitment of the new shooters part.

So for you new shooters please take a minute or two and respond to the above questions.

PLEASE SEND ME AN EMAIL (NO PM"S PLEASE)

jakemartens@comcast.net

First, a co-sponsored event with Hooters could generate some new talent:):!

As a new shooter this year, I have had a great time. But it started before I even owned my current handgun. It started here. Several members of INGO offered to meet me at local ranges so I could test fire their pistols before making an investment. More than the test opportunity, I now had people with whom I could interact at the matches.

It can be difficult to go to a match not knowing anyone. In addition there are core groups of shooters that are established and comfortable with each other. Gaining acceptance within those core groups is another challenge for new shooters. I just happen to be really likable!

When I shot my first USPSA this year I squaded with people i had already met. That was helpful. When I shot my first IDPA match this year, I knew noone and most of my squad interacted within their own clicks. It was a long boring day!

Starting my first season this year I would not have wanted to be on an all "newbie" squad. You can't learn as much from a newbie as you can from the experienced guys. Maybe you offer match discounts to experienced shooters who will pair up with Newbies. The experienced shooters can provide feedback and give newbies someone with whom to bond and make feel welcome.

Another to find some more interest are the local gun stores. Posters, flyers, and employee support for the local clubs.

Videos are all over the internet that show matches, people talking about matches, and more. A new shooters class should focus on rules overview, safety, and an oportunity to experience some actual range time. I think instructor interacting is the most important thing.

My final thought for now, Time Commitment. We are all hooked! We got hooked when we finally got out and experienced an event, then we worked to get classified, and now we love it. 8am - 5pm is acceptable for us becuase we are hooked. Newbies are not hooked and lengthy matches, with large squads and stage back-ups can be a turn-off. Perhaps clubs could advertise mini-matches for Unclassified Only participants. Or you could have mini-matches that invite a handful of experienced shooters to pair up with Newbies for a 4 stage match. Smaller match, less time constraint, the opportunity to learn from experience.

And don't forget the Hooters Girls, Onsite, at the Matches:)::)::):

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    First, a co-sponsored event with Hooters could generate some new talent:):!

I just happen to be really likable!

And don't forget the Hooters Girls, Onsite, at the Matches:)::)::):

1. Cool Idea
    2. Umm says who????
    3. If there were Hooters girls there A) we would have more DQ's, B) my wife probably wouldn't let me shoot anymore C) Mike M. would be showing off his scar, I hear chicks did scars, especially head wounds, so he wouldn't even be able to shoot at all let alone RO a squad so now you've taken a squad away!

I think I shot with you on your first match in your squad and it was my second match. I do love doing this and all it takes is getting out to one to see how fun it is.

As for the suggestion of Friday Night Steele, DO THIS, do not go to watch, take a weapon, sign up and shoot it. It was the first competition shooting I had ever done and within 6 months I was into USPSA and taking classes geared just for that. you won't regret getting out and shooting like that. It's so much more fun that just going to the range and shooting by yourself or even with buddies.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Where are the "want to be new shooters", Reaper, Crispy & OEF5 are already coming to matches and understand how much fun it can be

I would like to hear from the hey "I just bought a gun at the last gun show", "I have seen Top Shot and I would like to get into competition shooting but I just don't know what to do....."

I want to hear from the I have been shooting for 10 years, I see these guys out there at the competitions but I never thought about trying it until recently, I am just not sure what to do next......

I want to know from these gun owners what we can do to help get them comfortable enough to come out and try a match, what do we need to do to make this first big step not so big and easier?

I think that some of the biggest hold ups for people is that they just don't want to come out there and "look like a fool" or "don't want to be dead last"
    or "I am a great shot or at least I think I am, what if I find out I am not"]\
    Or the biggest "I don't know the rules, or what I am doing" and "that will make me look foolish"

I would like to know what you would need to do first that would make you more comfortable to then come out and try a match

concealed glock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Kosciusko County, Warsaw
    I had a "friend" get me started in 3-gun last year. I then in turn got 2 of my son's envolved in shooting 3 gun and even a speed shotgun match. This year all 3 of us have purchased handgun's and are now shooting USPSA match's and 2 of us have signed up for the USPSA sectional match at Warsaw and the State 3 gun at Wildcat Valley. For what it's worth, it's about telling friends and family how much "fun" it is, getting the local papers to write articles about shooting sports and local Firearms Dealers to hand out info. Stay energized, talk and tell anyone who will listen.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    I had a "friend" get me started in 3-gun last year. I then in turn got 2 of my son's envolved in shooting 3 gun and even a speed shotgun match. This year all 3 of us have purchased handgun's and are now shooting USPSA match's and 2 of us have signed up for the USPSA sectional match at Warsaw and the State 3 gun at Wildcat Valley. For what it's worth, it's about telling friends and family how much "fun" it is, getting the local papers to write articles about shooting sports and local Firearms Dealers to hand out info. Stay energized, talk and tell anyone who will listen.

I mentioned it today in an interview. :D. Probably wasn't a wise idea, however, one of the interviewers was interested in what gun I shot in competition. He seemed at least semi interested and educated. You never know where your audience maybe. :dunno:

concealed glock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Kosciusko County, Warsaw
    What we learned from both 3 gun and USPSA is that the other shooters and RO's all try to give advise & help educate and teach us. I have dealt with the public all my life and can honestly say that the men and women envolved in shooting are some of the nicest people my sons and I have ever met.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    What we learned from both 3 gun and USPSA is that the other shooters and RO's all try to give advise & help educate and teach us. I have dealt with the public all my life and can honestly say that the men and women envolved in shooting are some of the nicest people my sons and I have ever met.

:yesway:

I 2nd that. Aside from Jake getting catankerous from time to time :D. I tell everyone that will listen, that the guys I shoot with are some of the most honest and helpful people I've met. I've made more acquaintances the last 3 years than I probably did my previous 36 years before USPSA/Steel Challenge/FNS.

Top Bottom