• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Getting involved in competitive shooting is really easy. All you need to do is show up with the basic equipment and they will hold you by the hand and keep you safe. I find about 30% of the people that show up to an IDPA match really care about their score AS COMPARED TO OTHERS. Most of us enjoy the camaraderie and training experience the ability to draw from a holster and shoot on the move offers us. The fact that people are watching adds just a little anxiety. This is a GOOD thing, because we all act differently under stress. You will play as you practice, so getting some experience shooting under a little duress is important. I hope you will contact Mr. Jeff Brown, the Indiana State IDPA coordinator. Get the facts from him. Go out and watch a match, but take all of your stuff with you, because I have NEVER met anyone who went to a match to watch who didn't want to be involved after about 10 minutes!

Also, we offer an Intro to Defensive Pistol training course that is based on IDPA rules, targets and scenarios! We will teach you all of the basics including the safety officer commands and let you try your hand at shooting on the move, holster draws from concealment, engaging multiple bad guys mixed in with good guys, etc. Excuse the expression, but we like to say: "It's as much fun as you can have with your clothes on and a gun in your hand!" :naughty:

It really is a hoot! :draw: While you may eventually get caught up in the competitive aspect of the shooting sports, at first one can easily make it a training type event. For example, I love the competitive aspect. But I don't take steps to give myself a competitive advantage! That is, when I shoot an IDPA match I use the same gun I carry every day, in the same holster I use for carry, in the same place on my body. I try to make it as true to my everyday life as possible to get the most out of an event.

PLEASE come out to Atlanta Conservation Club, or a club in your area and check it out! I PROMISE you, you'll be glad you did! :twocents:

PS: No membership is required to get started, either at the club or the organization levels.

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    ok...at the risk of showing my newbiness and using the wrong letters, or somehow insulting or offending...or saying something that has already been said in some post months before I was part of this forum...
    I was at Terre Haute Sporting Clays today to pick up a new pistol, and the guy there said that they are having a First Shot program in July. It's sponsored by the National Sport Shooting Foundation. maybe this isn't your target audience, but maybe it is. Yes, it probably interferes with a match somewhere, but might at least be worth seeing if they would put up one of your recently developed, snazzy posters.

oh, and another thought. over in the Women and Firearms section, there's a recent post from Bobcat Steel, offering a Ladies Steel demo, and looking for a venue. Seems like a pretty natural fit, or at least a good start, if you all could work something out.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/women_and_firearms/117450-ladies_steel_demo.html

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Getting involved in competitive shooting is really easy. All you need to do is show up with the basic equipment and they will hold you by the hand and keep you safe. I find about 30% of the people that show up to an IDPA match really care about their score AS COMPARED TO OTHERS. Most of us enjoy the camaraderie and training experience the ability to draw from a holster and shoot on the move offers us. The fact that people are watching adds just a little anxiety. This is a GOOD thing, because we all act differently under stress. You will play as you practice, so getting some experience shooting under a little duress is important. I hope you will contact Mr. Jeff Brown, the Indiana State IDPA coordinator. Get the facts from him. Go out and watch a match, but take all of your stuff with you, because I have NEVER met anyone who went to a match to watch who didn't want to be involved after about 10 minutes!

Also, we offer an Intro to Defensive Pistol training course that is based on IDPA rules, targets and scenarios! We will teach you all of the basics including the safety officer commands and let you try your hand at shooting on the move, holster draws from concealment, engaging multiple bad guys mixed in with good guys, etc. Excuse the expression, but we like to say: "It's as much fun as you can have with your clothes on and a gun in your hand!" :naughty:

It really is a hoot! :draw: While you may eventually get caught up in the competitive aspect of the shooting sports, at first one can easily make it a training type event. For example, I love the competitive aspect. But I don't take steps to give myself a competitive advantage! That is, when I shoot an IDPA match I use the same gun I carry every day, in the same holster I use for carry, in the same place on my body. I try to make it as true to my everyday life as possible to get the most out of an event.

PLEASE come out to Atlanta Conservation Club, or a club in your area and check it out! I PROMISE you, you'll be glad you did! :twocents:

PS: No membership is required to get started, either at the club or the organization levels.

What if my daily carry gear does not fit into an IDPA division? I carry an M&P with 23 plus 1. On the street I want all the competitive advantage I can get.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN

If I am taking a class I want to learn every competitive advantage I can whether it is for competition or self defense.

I would caution anyone saying that IDPA or USPSA offers self defense training.
    These are both games and both have rules. Self Defense doesn't.

Now I will say that coming and shooting competition will stregthen your gun handling skills and make you more proficient with your firearm of choice. You will learn how to draw, shoot on the move, reload, engage multiple targets and shoot under the stress of being on the clock.

As far as camaradeire, well there are no better people than the people that I have met over the last 11 years of shooting competition. But 99% of them take being competitive seriously and still manage to have a good time, cut up and have alot of fun while at the range

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    What if my daily carry gear does not fit into an IDPA division? I carry an M&P with 23 plus 1. On the street I want all the competitive advantage I can get.

Your M&P is fine in IDPA but must only be loaded to division capacity.

Another poster states that IDPA is not training. BS. Learning and perfecting holster draw mechanics, shooting on the move, learning to use cover and concealment in a live fire evironment certainly can be training. This argument is as old as the open carry/CC argument.

On the street Coach you don't want to look at your gun while you reload unless you have to. You want your eyes on the target. In IDPA it is advantageous to look at the gun at face level to facilitate faster reloads. That is the type of competitive advantage I am talking about that may not carry over to street carry well. Same with race guns and associated holsters.

The same poster stated defense is not game and has no rules. Really? So you can just spray away at your attacker sending rounds into the schoolbus behind him? There are always rules. :twocents:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Your M&P is fine in IDPA but must only be loaded to division capacity.

Another poster states that IDPA is not training. BS. Learning and perfecting holster draw mechanics, shooting on the move, learning to use cover and concealment in a live fire evironment certainly can be training. This argument is as old as the open carry/CC argument.

On the street Coach you don't want to look at your gun while you reload unless you have to. You want your eyes on the target. In IDPA it is advantageous to look at the gun at face level to facilitate faster reloads. That is the type of competitive advantage I am talking about that may not carry over to street carry well. Same with race guns and associated holsters.

The same poster stated defense is not game and has no rules. Really? So you can just spray away at your attacker sending rounds into the schoolbus behind him? There are always rules. :twocents:

I agree with much or nearly all of what you said. There are many, many aspects to competition that are of great benefit for self defense applications. We are clearly on the same page there.

Sometimes I think we the competitive shooters do ourselves more harm that good by claiming one type of competition is training while others are not. While I agree the shooting sports have a great value in addition to other training. I think it is important to remember that if there is a timer and score being kept it is a game. All such sports have rules and divisions and everyday carry does not have those same rules.

I know the M&P is fine in IDPA and I also knew it had capacity limits. I disagree with the capacity limit in IDPA and USPSA as well. Both of those sports have overdone it with rulebook.

Back to the original thought in the thread. New shooters the world of competition has great value, and none of the shooting sports will get you killed as the myths claim.

:twocents:

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I agree with much or nearly all of what you said. There are many, many aspects to competition that are of great benefit for self defense applications. We are clearly on the same page there.

Sometimes I think we the competitive shooters do ourselves more harm that good by claiming one type of competition is training while others are not. While I agree the shooting sports have a great value in addition to other training. I think it is important to remember that if there is a timer and score being kept it is a game. All such sports have rules and divisions and everyday carry does not have those same rules.

I know the M&P is fine in IDPA and I also knew it had capacity limits. I disagree with the capacity limit in IDPA and USPSA as well. Both of those sports have overdone it with rulebook.

Back to the original thought in the thread. New shooters the world of competition has great value, and none of the shooting sports will get you killed as the myths claim.

:twocents:

+1! Right on! I do wonder what you would propose for the shooting sports to keep things even and fair. I have no answer myself. I'm lucky in that I carry a 1911 so I'm always loaded to capacity in IDPA or on the street. It's not the best training, but when mixed with other drills and trips to the range, the shooting sports certainly help in the development of fundamental skills. I think we need to differentiate between a TACTICAL advantage and a COMPETITIVE advantage here.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    What I said was:
    'I would caution anyone saying that IDPA or USPSA offers self defense training.
    These are both games and both have rules. Self Defense doesn't.'

Self Defense has Laws, it is not a game. Going and shooting IDPA and USPSA matches as I stated will enhance all the critical gun handling skills that will make you more proficient with your firearm.

If you want to carry a gun and know how to use it and be able to manipulate at a higher rate of speed and test your abilities with it then shooting competition will do that for you.

There is alot of detail that we go into a debate over training/compeition etc. But let's stay on topic......

What do new guns owners, new shooters, or long time gun owners need or want to see in order to feel comfortable to come and try shooting competition

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    There is alot of detail that we go into a debate over training/compeition etc. But let's stay on topic......

What do new guns owners, new shooters, or long time gun owners need or want to see in order to feel comfortable to come and try shooting competition

Nothing beats the personal touch. Invite them; shoot with them; and help them if they want it.

Top Bottom