• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Everyone has to have a first match, and none of us finished first that time. Instead of being hung up on performance is should be about the experience and getting out there and seeing what it is all about.

For people to say that they are afraid to come out and try because they don't want to be last is a cop out. You don't know until you try and if you are not willing to try then well that is worst than being last, that is being a quitter before you even gave it a chance.

This is my 9 year old daugther, this is only her second time ever shooting, and her first time shooting a match. This is the Steel Challenge match at Riley in April. She is shooting a .22 pistol. We worked some, not much, maybe 2 hours worth of time on her stance, her grip and sight alignment before she ever shot. I spend some time going over safety with her as well.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdLnvq19QOU[/ame]

Now if a 9 year old can go out there and take basic instruction on how to hold and grip a pistol, how to stand, where to place her feet, and arms and how to align the sights and control the trigger then just about any adult with common sense should be able to.

If you are timid about going to a match then get with Aron Bright and take a class first.

There is going shooting and then there is going to a match, it just can't be compared. To see the face on a new shooter after they have completed their first stage is really pretty cool, and trust me they want to go again!!!

Digging up this thread to add a thought. I am a relatively new shooter and am pretty sure I would enjoy competing -- but only if I felt I was on par with the other shooters I am competing with! I have been working on my accuracy but don't feel ready to compete. I think every new shooter fears coming in dead last in a competition :)

My husband is also a new shooter. He has expressed NO interest in competition and has even tried to talk me out of my new interest. UNTIL... we were at the local range recently target shooting and the president of the club came over to him when he was checking his target, made a positive comment about his shooting and told him about the club matches, describing the stages and telling him, "That's pretty good shooting. I think you'd do pretty well in the matches. We have some great shooters, so you'd probably not come in first but I can tell you, you sure would not come in last!" That's all it took for my husband to start expressing some interest in participating in the matches.

I think individual attention and reassurance may be the most valuable tool in encouraging some new shooters to compete.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Digging up this thread to add a thought. I am a relatively new shooter and am pretty sure I would enjoy competing -- but only if I felt I was on par with the other shooters I am competing with! I have been working on my accuracy but don't feel ready to compete. I think every new shooter fears coming in dead last in a competition :)

The problem with that is that you'll never be on that par unless and until you start doing it, learn, progress while doing it. It's kind of like not wanting to go to church because you think you're too much of a sinner.

Shooting in matches will make you a better shooter regardless of your overall goals.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Sign up for the ACT Instructional League on the 21st of May and get started. I will teach the things you need to know to get better. low stress introduction.great value. Send me an email if interested.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    On an individual basis all most of us can do is present a positive image of shooting sports and invite friends, neighbors and their kids to join us for a try out.
    If you get a young person to the range don't put too much pressure on, just basics of safety which can usually be begun enroute the basics of hold and aim and squeeze and a lot of positive feedback.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    For people to say that they are afraid to come out and try because they don't want to be last is a cop out.

Don't forget being afraid of getting beat by a 9 year old ;) LOL.

Wow... "cop out," "quitter," "my 9 year old is tougher than you??" You have a way with people, doncha? ;)

I do have every intention of trying some matches! I'm just sharing what makes beginners hesitant. I have only shot my .22 three times and I will likely try a local match this summer. I'm not about to try to shoot my LCP in the centerfire, though :) Until recently, the idea of competing has been like trying out for a hockey team without knowing how to ice skate. That's changing and I will definitely try it.

I thought it was interesting that the minute someone other than me showed some interest in encouraging my husband to compete, he got interested. I think nothing can beat the one-on-one encouragement of new shooters by more experienced shooters.

Thanks for the response -- And your daughter is impressive :)

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    The problem with that is that you'll never be on that par unless and until you start doing it, learn, progress while doing it. It's kind of like not wanting to go to church because you think you're too much of a sinner.

Shooting in matches will make you a better shooter regardless of your overall goals.

Sign up for the ACT Instructional League on the 21st of May and get started. I will teach the things you need to know to get better. low stress introduction.great value. Send me an email if interested.

I definitely agree, Rhino. I just wanted to know I was capable of hitting the targets before entering a match :) And to be truthful, it took me awhile to get myself to church too, so I guess it's a pattern with me ;) LOL

I am definitely interested in the ACT Instructional matches! I'll be recovering from surgery for the May one, but you will likely see me sometime this summer!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

Bingo. If you wait until you are aready, you will never start. National champions didn't wait until they were ready to win to start. You will progress more in your first couple months competing than you will in years floundering around on your own. Simple truth.

If you can safely handle your gun (muzzle awareness and keeping your finger off the trigger), then you are ready NOW.

I have NEVER seen anyone ridiculed for a poor performance (well, not counting ribbing among friends).

-rvb

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Don't forget being afraid of getting beat by a 9 year old ;) LOL.

Wow... "cop out," "quitter," "my 9 year old is tougher than you??" You have a way with people, doncha? ;)

Not usually

My point is that until someone goes and trys something they have no idea how they are going to do.
    And if a 9 year old can be taught how to a grip a gun, align the sights and use the trigger then pretty much anyone willing to learn can too.

my guess is that 99% of the new shooters (and even long time shooters) that don't want to come to a match are because they are not very accurate and they don't want to look bad.

and 99% of the problem with a persons accuracy can be corrected in 10 minutes with how to grip a gun, how to stand, how to align your sights and how to use the trigger.

And if you want to talk about looking bad, come to a match and look at all the fat out of shape guys walking around trying to look the part in under armor shirts and tacticool gear, we look ridiculous.....but we have fun!!

a zone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    May 22nd at Atlanta Conservation Club is a family fun shoot. It is a basic steel match. You will need a 22 pistol and a 22 rifle. If you don't have one we will loan you one. We will keep score but there will be no winner and no loser. You are going to shoot against your own family. Shooters meeting is 2pm and first shot is 2:22. Low pressure and designed for fun. Check out the web page for location of the club etc. http://www.eteamz.com/atlantaconservationclub/
    See you on the range
    Mike Thompson
    Atlanta Conservation Club

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Not usually

My point is that until someone goes and trys something they have no idea how they are going to do.
    And if a 9 year old can be taught how to a grip a gun, align the sights and use the trigger then pretty much anyone willing to learn can too.

my guess is that 99% of the new shooters (and even long time shooters) that don't want to come to a match are because they are not very accurate and they don't want to look bad.

and 99% of the problem with a persons accuracy can be corrected in 10 minutes with how to grip a gun, how to stand, how to align your sights and how to use the trigger.

And if you want to talk about looking bad, come to a match and look at all the fat out of shape guys walking around trying to look the part in under armor shirts and tacticool gear, we look ridiculous.....but we have fun!!

Maybe I'm in denial, but we look pretty cool I think :D. Though Under Armour is not designed to be belly shirts. At least what I've seen. Probably not supposed to have all the pizza stains and corn chip crumbs all over them either.:dunno:

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Bingo. If you wait until you are aready, you will never start. National champions didn't wait until they were ready to win to start. You will progress more in your first couple months competing than you will in years floundering around on your own. Simple truth.

If you can safely handle your gun (muzzle awareness and keeping your finger off the trigger), then you are ready NOW.

I have NEVER seen anyone ridiculed for a poor performance (well, not counting ribbing among friends).

-rvb

New shooters are usually exempt from ridicule. However, that does depend on the individual (Crispy, OEF5) :D

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    I definitely agree, Rhino. I just wanted to know I was capable of hitting the targets before entering a match :) And to be truthful, it took me awhile to get myself to church too, so I guess it's a pattern with me ;) LOL

I am definitely interested in the ACT Instructional matches! I'll be recovering from surgery for the May one, but you will likely see me sometime this summer!

Churches would crumble if I walked into one. On the other hand, Rhino goes and the Catholic cathedrals remain intact. So are Catholics inherently sinners, or did Rhino sneak one past God? :D

Great, I just turned the shooting sports forum into a religious debate :shady:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't think we encourage coming to watch the matches enough.
    - It's free!
    - You don't have to worry about right or wrong or any gear other than eye and ear protection (I and a lot of others always carry spares and loaners.)
    - You can observe all the details while being explained what is going on.
    - You can avoid and get over the butterflys without feeling like there is a concern to be embarrassed.
    - You can see how much fun we really have!

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    Being a new shooter, wanting to get involved, LOACATION-LOCATION-LOCATION. Central IN does have some places to shoot, but all are 30+ min away for many of us... ACC on the north side, MCFG, and Atterbury/IN Gun club really don't count. So, Location, timing, and advertising. Many of us out here are interested, but maybe hesistant driving somewhere, not knowing someone, and not knowing what to do when we get there. Just my $0.02 this morning. But I WILL get to a shoot this year! Somewhere...

Top Bottom