• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    I agree JT. But if the Junior's Dad (or Mom) doesn't shoot, how do you get them interested in the first place?
    All we can do is get the INFO out there. Then twist their arm a little. Then if that doesnt work we'll send rhino after them. He's still building his pyramid ya know!

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    All we can do is get the INFO out there. Then twist their arm a little. Then if that doesnt work we'll send rhino after them. He's still building his pyramid ya know!

Let's try to keep Rhino away from the kiddies for awhile. Let them at least get used to Coach first.....;)

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Coach, i'm an adult looking into all things shooting especially sport shooting sometime down the road. Just getting on this site has helped me, however, if it weren't for a friend of mine who told me about this site I still would be no further along in anything guns. When I tried to find a course out there just to start learning the basics on pistols, that to proved to be difficult. After a long search I finally found someone other than Indygunsafety (not that he isn't good). So to me a very interested adult looking for education and hobby sports it has proved a little more difficult than I would have thought it to be (living in a major metro area). I think you have a good question. Let me know what you come up with. I would be interested!

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    OK everybody here is my plan. Going to rent a booth at the next 1500 cost is $90.00 30 days in advance $100.00 after that. I have contacted USPSA for promotional items fliers,dvds,frontsight magazines women of uspsa info and dvds. So on and so forth. What we need is to get volunteers to work it. The dates on the web show it on Jan 14-16. And figure out how to pay for the booth. Hickman said he has plenty of video to play on a monitor so we will need a monitor also. Come on people what do you say?

Speaking from the point of view of a complete Newb, I think this is a great idea. Of course you're only going to reach people that go to gun shows.

I really think you ought to have some sort of "Free Intro" program. No cost except for the ammo.

I've got a buddy that wants a gun, but knows nothing, he depends on me who knows just this side of nothing. People like him are going to be intimidated jumping into your "clique". Outsiders generally aren't welcome right away.

But if there was some sort of program just for beiginners, on a beginners only night, on a regular basis, people would start dragging their friends out. But you're going to have nobody on a few of those nights.

Word of mouth is still going to be your primary avenue of recruitment. In fact, I've got a younger Army Reserve buddy that was going to come to the FNS thing with me but it is his Reseve weekend...

Just my humble opinion...

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Speaking from the point of view of a complete Newb, I think this is a great idea. Of course you're only going to reach people that go to gun shows.

I really think you ought to have some sort of "Free Intro" program. No cost except for the ammo.

I've got a buddy that wants a gun, but knows nothing, he depends on me who knows just this side of nothing. People like him are going to be intimidated jumping into your "clique". Outsiders generally aren't welcome right away.

But if there was some sort of program just for beiginners, on a beginners only night, on a regular basis, people would start dragging their friends out. But you're going to have nobody on a few of those nights.

Word of mouth is still going to be your primary avenue of recruitment. In fact, I've got a younger Army Reserve buddy that was going to come to the FNS thing with me but it is his Reseve weekend...

Mike is right. ACT league is the way to go. Also, look at taking some of the other competition classes that ACT offers.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

Your perception that those of us who are no longer new to competition shooting are some sort of a clique makes me curious. Can you elaborate a bit more?

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Junior shooter go to the age of 17 when they turn 18 they shoot with the big boys. Just kidding most of the juniors can out shoot all us big boys.
    Also If you own a gun your in our clique. And I do believe that ACT will be having something close to what your asking about in the spring. For beginners that is.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Your perception that those of us who are no longer new to competition shooting are some sort of a clique makes me curious. Can you elaborate a bit more?

Just past experience with other organizations. I've seen some where they acted like they didn't want any "outsiders" even though the long term repercussions of the this are dwindling rolls.

Others seemed like this at first but once they see you are serious about becomming "involved" are helpful and generous with information and even parts. Karting was like this. But the cliques at certain tracks varied widely.

Disproving this perception is key. So far I am very encouraged by you guys here.

Last edited:

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood

Hell Dave, you barely talk to me and I've known you for years!!:D

Course, I understand if you just don't like me. I've been married 3 times, it wasn't all their fault:cool:

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Really all depends on the child. Everyone matures differently. I have seen as young as 12 yrs old. I will have to check on if there is a legal start age.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County

I started at the ACT competition 101 class and went to an ACT league shoot before my first club match. This isn't at all neccesary but it will help you sort out what you need and how things go at a match.
    It is a great way to get started with confidence.

Just past experience with other organizations. I've seen some where they acted like they didn't want any "outsiders" even though the long term repercussions of the this are dwindling rolls.

Others seemed like this at first but once they see you are serious about becomming "involved" are helpful and generous with information and even parts. Karting was like this. But the cliques at certain tracks varied widely.

Disproving this perception is key. So far I am very encouraged by you guys here.

I haven't been around long enough to feel like an old hand but I don't feel like clique is word I was use to descibe this bunch. There are groups of folks that like shooting together ,mostly to give each other crap, but they have always gone oout of their way to make new shooters comfortable .
    Some of the finest people that i have ever met.
    Come on out you will enjoy yourself.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom