• ...and so much more!
  • slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hell Dave, you barely talk to me and I've known you for years!!:D

Well, the reality is that I barely talk to most people. I've found that when I start talking, things go south in a hurry.

And for the record, I do like you, Bill (first person to make a smart comment is getting smacked, comprende?).

Just past experience with other organizations. I've seen some where they acted like they didn't want any "outsiders" even though the long term repercussions of the this are dwindling rolls.

Ok. I think you'll find that the shooting sports have very open doors. However, there are, by the very nature of the sport, some very strong personalities in our ranks. Some people can handle them. Others can't.

And, this is competition. There is a lot of good-natured ribbing that, to the uninitiated, can appear to be abrasive or R-rated.

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change how I got started. Find a match, watch and ask questions, get the right gear and then go for it. And, I'm not the most social person so the ice breaking was quite uncomfortable. But, this is something I was committed to, so I did what I had to. No regrets.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    I have been to a few matches where some of the old guys that are set in their ways were a bit abrasive. With that said. It didnt really matter. I really love this stuff and far from being dragged out by my heels. I plan on being apart of it for along long time. And yes the ribbing can get a little loud or strong natured but that is part of it. Nobody is going to be harder on me than myself.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I have been to a few matches where some of the old guys that are set in their ways were a bit abrasive. With that said. It didnt really matter. I really love this stuff and far from being dragged out by my heels. I plan on being apart of it for along long time. And yes the ribbing can get a little loud or strong natured but that is part of it. Nobody is going to be harder on me than myself.

I think I am much harder on myself than anyone. Hence, a post I made not so long ago, I need to get out of my own head :xmad:

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    The only thing that I found on juniors is that they must be under 18 the first day of the match. Didnt find anything about how young they can be.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    All match directors we will need fliers/handouts made up for your clubs if you want them handed out at the 1500. Ill leave content up to you.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    In regards to the question on how new shooters relate to long time shooters, this sport is like none other, while we are all competing, it is VERY rare to see when an old hand wont help you out. In a lot of other sports, ie racing, fellow racers may be hesitant, lest you go faster and beat them, not here. The wide majority will want to help you go faster and more accurate, hoping you push them harder also. The problem is this sport is one of many opinions, and one needs to have an open mind on how to deal with opinionated people. Personally I think this is a very small trade for what can be gleaned from the sport.

On juniors, I started at 16, different sports used to call a cut off age at other places, though I believe now, 18 is a standard for most all. As for how young, I personally would say as long as the kid can safely handle and operate the gun, manage the recoil, and has the arm strength to get through a whole match, and the peace of mind to stay calm if things go awry (jam, prop breakage, RO stoppage for some reason) then they should be fine. Never a bad idea to call the match director ahead of time and ask. I would say it would behoove you to work at home with junior on things like drawing, reloading, and moving safely before you come to the match. Ive done 20 min demos at home with several 15 yr olds and that was plenty to get them safely through the match.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I really think you ought to have some sort of "Free Intro" program. No cost except for the ammo.

I usually only costs $20 to shoot a match, you don't have to join USPSA to shoot a match.

Outsiders generally aren't welcome right away.

I'll disagree, we had three first time shooters in our squad Sunday. Husband/wife team shared gun,belt/mags and we all helped them out and coached them through it.

I think some people get intimidated because it's a "match". It's only a match if you give a crap where you finish. I went straight in to shooting matches and learned as I went. I shot the ACT league a few times when I could, but you learn a lot just by going and shooting and watching others.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I'm not saying I feel this way, but I can see some thinking that the regulars are going to yell at them for mistakes or snicker behind their backs. I read the rule book for IDPA and I think "oh crap, I left my finger on the trigger, they're going to chew my ass..." that sort of thing.

Like I said that's just one possible pre-conceived notion. You guys are already doing a great job of dispelling that.

FWIW, I don't care where I finish. Not right away anyway... ;)

I'm looking forward to Spring now...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Ok, after reading this thread, I want to get involved in shooting sports. I've done FNS, and enjoy it. I want to keep going.
    Where do I go from here?

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Ok, after reading this thread, I want to get involved in shooting sports. I've done FNS, and enjoy it. I want to keep going.
    Where do I go from here?
    Come out and shoot with us!!! What do you have as far as gear? South Central is the next one at Freetown Max Bedwell puts on one hell of a good match.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    If a shooter has basic gun handling skills there should not be any problem. Uspsa is not designed for new gun people that have no experiance at all with a handgun. But we can help with that also. There are several people here that put on classes and beginner courses. Just remember that the first rule is always (SAFTEY) Ive been doing it know for 4 years and I still dont do everything right nobody is perfect. We just do what we can and go on.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Yep got the mags, ears and eyes and ammo.
    I've taken classes with ACT, learned a lot thru them. HOPEFULLY I don't disappoint Coach and Rhino TOO much :D

gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    HOPEFULLY I don't disappoint Coach and Rhino TOO much :D[/quote]

Disappoint Rhino?????????? With all due respect, your sense of responsibility is miss-directed:)

Last edited:

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm not saying I feel this way, but I can see some thinking that the regulars are going to yell at them for mistakes or snicker behind their backs. I read the rule book for IDPA and I think "oh crap, I left my finger on the trigger, they're going to chew my ass..." that

We laugh because we've all been there and made the same mistakes. It's not because it's funny. It's more like we're relieved that we aren't the only one it happened to.

Will you get yelled at for having your finger in the trigger guard when not engaging targets? You bet. Is it because we are mad or get out jollies from yelling at folks? No. Guns are loud and you're wearing earplugs. And, you're doing something potentially dangerous with a firearm. That's why.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Oh I get laughed at during FNS. I've got no problem with that. Rhino laughed at me lots of times, even calling me "Ginger".

I can take it :D

Top Bottom