• ...and so much more!
  • singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I've taken some young guys I play golf with and we've set up and run some "stages at the range" with their .22 caliber guns. Just for fun and it's gotten into their blood and might encourage them to get into USPSA. Maybe we could do some "unofficial .22 shoots?" Just a thought, please don't execute me for suggesting such a thing, just throwing ideas out there.

Check out Steel Challenge they have a 22 Rimfire Division.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I had the same problem, but most churches these days have services SEVERAL times a week.

Now I'm out in God's country with many like minded people on Sunday mornings.

I've missed church and hunted before (getting real here); the problem is that I have commitments on many Sundays at my Church. Since I have yet to win a Steel Challenge, I guess I have something to focus on for Saturdays. ;)

fasteddie48

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    pekin indiana
    sherrie white is a school teacher here she has a hunter ed program through the school funded by friends of NRA at the end of course she brings kids out for a day at the range where there are police officer and instructures like Joe Roop and competive shooters ive had the pleasure of helping at this the kids are the most well behaved and excited ive ever seen they get to shoot anything for a soft air to a ar15 while there there everone is just great!!! some of the kid have never shot a gun they so excited there ar so many people involved with this unbeliveable!!!

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I shot my first steel match at Riley last spring. I was really interested in CMP service rifle competitions, I plan to start in the spring, but I wanted something my dad and I could do together. We have been to several, plus a couple of ACT classes together. It has been a great bonding experience for us. I got interested in USPSA, and while I've only been to a couple of matches, I am definitely hooked. My son shot one steel match with us up at ACC, but he didn't enjoy the match. He loves to shoot, and everyone was great, but he didn't like being watched. Hopefully that will wear off, he is a pretty good shot at 8. I plan to shoot many more matches next year, and hopefully invite some friends along. I know my dad is talking about bringing some friends from church to the steel matches next year.

mwmccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Seymour
    I know I'm a new shooter but in this topic maybe thats OK. I believe there two main root causes for lack of the sport expansion.

One is money. No matter how you put it this is a brutally expensive sport. It would be different if, like other sports, there was just one big "ouch" to get into it, but this sport has obvious reoccuring expenses which there really isn't anything we can do about. We can, however, lighten the load by offering rimfire opportunities. Everyone I know that owns any kind of firearm has some type of rimfire, many times rimfire being the only gun they have. Parents would be more likely to commit to "upgrading" at a later time if the youth stuck with it in rimfire for a while and if not they didn't take such a hit. I know part of the foundation of USPSA in particular is "power" and I certainly wouldn't avocate "watering down" it. I guess what I'm saying is there could be a mirror league, only rimfire. I personally also think a rimfire SASS type league could have a lot of potential as well.

The second, in my opinion, are the travel time/distances. Not everyone is centrally located in Marion County. Many people hate to drive over an hour much less two hours or more to do anything. This also adds more to point number one which was money. I know in a perfect world there would be a range in every town if we all had our way. This point may be too moot but I know for a fact that there would be several guys I work with who involve their kids in shooting and hunting "at the house" that have that small town mentality that most of the current range locations are way too far to drive.

Don't get me wrong, I've made up my mind to pursue shooting sports as long as I can. I'll continue to do the long drives without complaint as long as the matches continue to be on Sundays. Most people I know have to work 6 days a week which includes Saturdays. I really feel rimfire is the key to makling the sport as open as possible to as big of a variety of people as possible.

Gee, I guess I kinda got long winded for a bit. I feel like somewhrere in all that I had a point, I just hope I was able to express it properly.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Yes money is a big factor. I've seen this in Trap Shooting after the price of ammo sky rocketed, there was a significant drop in shooters. Still hasn't recovered. I think rimfire requires a serious look. I was very disappointed when Scholastic Steel Challenge didn't have a Rimfire Division. I know for youth Trap Shooting cost is a major factor why many parents don't get kids involved. I had one parent tell me that Trap was a "rich man's" sport.

For the cost on ammo for one Centerfire match you can buy enough rimfire bulk ammo for an entire season. If kids are our shooting future, we better get more kids shooting and make it easier on the wallet of parents.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Promoting the sports as family outings is an interesting angle. It's obvious to those who know, but a more specific effort would be worthwhile.

What about getting people like Awerbuck, Campbell, [insert name], to opine on the benefits of IDPA, USPSA, etc? This is assuming they agree there is. If not, we are no worse off.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Some club (ACC?) hosted a .22 "tactical" match a few months ago. I don't think there was enough attendance to justify a regular match*. Which, given the number of folks who scream for these types of events, is surprising.

*I could be mistaken on this, so apologies if I'm off base.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    How close are these shooting sports events to Indianapolis?

Indy is a great location, since it's about 60-90 minutes away from all the clubs.

Some guys drive 2-3 hours north to south or south to north, we're right in the middle of all of them. The main clubs are near Kokomo, Terre Haute, and Seymour, just about equal distance in all directions.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    There are at least three clubs within an hour of Ft Wayne (FWR&R, Warsaw, Angola). Four within 75 minutes of Clarksville (Silver Creek, South Central, Red Brush, and Owensboro).

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I agree with all that said cost is a big issue. I can't imagine how I could have financially handled any sort of centerfire competitive shooting in my early to mid-twenties. It's hard to afford it even now... I had to cut way back this year due to family expenses. And shooting costs per event are much higher now that my son is shooting too.

I think that USPSA needs to offer rimfire options. I can't imagine how that would work with poppers, reactive targets; etc but there needs to at least be some sort of side-match.

Also, youth entry fees at most all clubs (that means you, ACC) need to be much lower to encourage the growth of the sport. I think that clubs should be trying to just break-even on the costs of targets with the youth rates... the key to the survival of the sport is getting younger shooters into it, and cost is a major barrier.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    There have been lots of good points made here. I appreciate the newbies chiming in with their ideas. I hope to make the following point delicately, and not offend anyone.
    I see lots of good stuff being thrown around. Rimfire is going to have to be with steel challenge, and that is fine.

I am looking for ways to promote the sports as they are. There are more people out there who can and will do it. The challenge is to find a way to do it. Cheaply as possible.

If we were recruiting for a high school football team we would not be looking for answers such as make it two hand tap. My point being I am aware of the drawbacks, and all of those are out of my hands. I cannot change the range locations and the cost factors or the rules of the sport. It is what it is, and those things are not available for changing.

How do we get the word out. Competitions are not for everyone. I just want to find the people that it is for.
    Are the drawbacks listed such as cost and drive time really the stumbling blocks? Or is it something more?

I know in my case it was just a matter of not knowing anything about competition, and how to get started.

I like the idea of 1500, open houses, demonstration events, and many other things here.

Last edited:

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    ACC is going to try something new next year involving 22 rimfire. I believe that it has something to do with ruger but not sure. I think that Roger and Mike are going to head it up. At least that was the last that I heard.

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    I think there have been a lot of good idea listed at well. I know the open house at ACC got me a taste of USPSA and made me want to come to a match. I think if you allowed a new shooter to shoot one match or a mini match of whatever type for free the shooters that can afford it would be hooked.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Also if the 1500 is going to be in the picture I would like to recommend that we get one of our guys that has alot of video from past events and get that rolling on a descent sized screen at the booth. Visual aids are always a good thing. Also I cant really see the drive thing or cost being a great problem When we go it seems like we have 4-5 people to share the load. I normally drive but that is because I have the most room in my vehicle. But everybody always chips in for gas money. And there is only one range that isnt at least 2hrs from my house

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    I think there have been a lot of good idea listed at well. I know the open house at ACC got me a taste of USPSA and made me want to come to a match. I think if you allowed a new shooter to shoot one match or a mini match of whatever type for free the shooters that can afford it would be hooked.
    Agreed. I think the open house that ACC did, got alot of good response back. We are planning on another next year as well

mwmccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Seymour
    There have been lots of good points made here. I appreciate the newbies chiming in with their ideas. I hope to make the following point delicately, and not offend anyone.
    I see lots of good stuff being thrown around. Rimfire is going to have to be with steel challenge, and that is fine.

I am looking for ways to promote the sports as they are. There are more people out there who can and will do it. The challenge is to find a way to do it. Cheaply as possible.

If we were recruiting for a high school football team we would not be looking for answers such as make it two hand tap. My point being I am aware of the drawbacks, and all of those are out of my hands. I cannot change the range locations and the cost factors or the rules of the sport. It is what it is, and those things are not available for changing.

How do we get the word out. Competitions are not for everyone. I just want to find the people that it is for.
    Are the drawbacks listed such as cost and drive time really the stumbling blocks? Or is it something more?

I know in my case it was just a matter of not knowing anything about competition, and how to get started.

I like the idea of 1500, open houses, demonstration events, and many other things here.

Sorry Coach for misunderstanding your original concept of this thread and going in the wrong direction of what you intended. I guess my newfound joy of the sport may have made me a bit over eager to chime in before thinking. I still believe rimfire should have more of a presence though.

Maybe one should observe the established sporting institutions and mimic what has been successful for them which is logo recognition. If enough of us wore USPSA (for example) logoed clothing maybe people would inquire more. I would find it easy to imagine that if at a match, there was whichever particular range's attire for sale that most people would grab some and exposeing it to the population at large. I've seen some pretty "cool" multi-gun shirts, AR15 shirts, hats and the like but I haven't really seen any of the other shooting sports displayed on anyone. If the attire was loud enough maybe people would stop us and ask questions. Skulls, we definitely need skulls.

Top Bottom