• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Ok, after reading this thread, I want to get involved in shooting sports. I've done FNS, and enjoy it. I want to keep going.
    Where do I go from here?

Oh, young ginger . . . you're about to take that step!

The gear that you already have will work fine for either USPSA or IDPA. You'll probably want to be able to carry four mags on your belt for USPSA, or two for IDPA. Your holster and gun will be fine.

You just need to be there when it's happening. You could start by going to a match, or you could ease your way into with our CP101 and/or some of our league shoots. The class will give you the fundamentals of how the sports work. The leagues are essentially practice and coaching conducted in the format of a match. If you do one of our league shoots, you'll find that they're substantially similar to a club match.

I'm a new Shooter. :)

Yes. (ahem). You are aware that you have a standing invitation and that you're welcome to join me at any match I attend, correct? I've even got a place cleaned for a passenger in my truck now.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Somebody moved the S to the other end. I'm not a new shooter any more. ;)

But I'll take you up on the offer one of these days. Thank you.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Ok I'm convinced. When is the next CP101 class? Cause I AM there. I think it would be good for me. And as I have a ton of questions, at least I can ask them in person. AND I rather enjoy being a nuisance to Rhino anyway ;)

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Oh, young ginger . . . you're about to take that step!

The gear that you already have will work fine for either USPSA or IDPA. You'll probably want to be able to carry four mags on your belt for USPSA, or two for IDPA. Your holster and gun will be fine.

You just need to be there when it's happening. You could start by going to a match, or you could ease your way into with our CP101 and/or some of our league shoots. The class will give you the fundamentals of how the sports work. The leagues are essentially practice and coaching conducted in the format of a match. If you do one of our league shoots, you'll find that they're substantially similar to a club match.

Yes. (ahem). You are aware that you have a standing invitation and that you're welcome to join me at any match I attend, correct? I've even got a place cleaned for a passenger in my truck now.

:postpics:

I still wouldn't believe it

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    for those wanting to get involved:

If you are interested in practical shooting:

USPSA:
    uspsa.org has nearly everything you need to know located on it's web page, including a tool that gives you info on all the participating clubs in your state (Locate USPSA Clubs - USPSA - United States Practical Shooting Association).

There are also links to the steel challenge website from uspsa.
    org (SCSA)

For a summary of the sport:
    About USPSA - United States Practical Shooting Association

What you need to start:
    USPSA Getting Started Competing - United States Practical Shooting Association

The rules to determine if your gear is legal:
    (note there is a list of approved guns for production division)
    USPSA Member Discounts and Promotions - United States Practical Shooting Association

They'll even send you an information packet:
    Request Membership Information for USPSA - USPSA - United States Practical Shooting Association

IDPA:

IDPA.com has less info, but they do also have a club locator.

Here is a summary of the game:
    http://idpa.com/dps_info.asp

Here is the idpa rule book to determine if your gear is legal:
    http://idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

-rvb

Take a quick scan of the rule book (understand what is expected safety wise, when to and when not to handle your gun, and get an idea of the range commands). Find a match near you. Show up, sign up, and tell people you are new. Ask questions, be safe, be friendly, be prepared to be humbled. It's really very easy to get involved. We were all first timers at one time, so you will only hear encouragement and friendly advise, not ridicule. And there is no "clique," just a group of friends and competitors... First day at a match is no different than your first day at a new church, new job, or meeting the inlaws.

-rvb

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Note - most USPSA clubs are inactive Dec, Jan, and Feb.
    The main reason for this I believe is saftey. Running on Ice with a loaded gun! Not so safe.
    Guess we could do some stand and shoots. Box A to Box B that sort of stuff. NO thanks
    Well maybe a winter classifier match?

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The main reason for this I believe is saftey. Running on Ice with a loaded gun! Not so safe.
    Guess we could do some stand and shoots. Box A to Box B that sort of stuff. NO thanks
    Well maybe a winter classifier match?

I've shot matches standing in snow over my ankles and standing on ice. You adapt the stages to the environment you're given.

Run-n-gun field courses are all well and good. But, high HF short courses and standards are the real pressure cookers of this sport. We need to see more of them. Blow a reload on a field course - no big deal. Do that on a 10 round stage with a HF approaching 10.0000? You're toast.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Ok I'm convinced. When is the next CP101 class? Cause I AM there. I think it would be good for me. And as I have a ton of questions, at least I can ask them in person. AND I rather enjoy being a nuisance to Rhino anyway ;)

Ditto his question, except for the being a nuisance part...

Our next scheduled CP101 class will be at Atlanta Conservation Club on 09-April-2011. Here's the link for the topic:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ng/119174-competition_dates_for_2011_acc.html

Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    Many good points here.

I think we need to make a concerted effort in 2011 to get some competitions covered by TV. We got a Terre Haute station to a WVPPS match this year. We do need more of that.

I want to find a way to recruit kids. There are plenty of kids out there who would like to try shooting and have parents who can afford to do it, but have no idea that shoot sports exists. TV is likely the key.

I haven't read through the whole thread, but...

What about hitting up the JROTC and ROTC programs?

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I have had some interest, but just dont even really know where to start. Honestly I havent looked very hard yet, so Im sure I will be able to find something once I do. I think wider advertisement of training or "coaching" type events would probably help your cause.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Does anybody out there know any open minded TV personalities here in Indiana? That might have the influence to get the larger Indiana matches covered or a couple local club matches?

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Fairly good chance I could facalite this......hollar at me sometime to discuss....
    I will do that. But we need to get Jake or somebody else in on this cause you dont want me doing the talking I ssssttttuuuuder to much. Someone that is very good at talking and speach giving. But I believe it could be a good thing for us. You diffinatly want somebody better looking. Id be good for radio.Thank you thank you very much

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...or somebody else in on this cause you dont want me doing the talking...Someone that is very good at talking and speach giving...

I don't necessarily agree with this. You think fast, that's important.
    I think you, Coach and Jake should start working now with our spokespeople.
    We should pick them from our female shooters.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    I don't necessarily agree with this. You think fast, that's important.
    I think you, Coach and Jake should start working now with our spokespeople.
    We should pick them from our female shooters.
    I am not going to argue with you on the later part of your statement. The only problem is I recognise our lady shooters when I see them at the matches but I dont know any of their names. I am horrible with names. Im sorry I do know Mary Ann. But I have shot with her and Ron for the past 4 years. Thats why I can remember Mary Ann's name. And one of our new shooters. Any suggestions?

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I am not going to argue with you on the later part of your statement. The only problem is I recognise our lady shooters when I see them at the matches but I dont know any of their names. I am horrible with names. Im sorry I do know Mary Ann. But I have shot with her and Ron for the past 4 years. Thats why I can remember Mary Ann's name. And one of our new shooters. Any suggestions?

I can do training and other scripted stuff for training. I am obviously not good thinking on my feet.

I feel Jake, Coach, or Mongo would be good. I actually think we need a range of demographic...young, old, male female.

Top Bottom