• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • f'nstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    I am 30 years old and going to be shooting my first full year at local events on a regular basis next year. I got into from a friend that said come with me and you can shoot my extra gun. Needless to say i have bought my own gear now. I plan to bring some other shooting buddies to some matches and maybe get them in on it.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Perfect timing...

I'm a new pistol owner at age 47. Been to the range a few times. My permit is applied for and on the way. I'm a careful gun owner/shooter. Researched everything I possibly could via the internet from finding this site to watching a thousand youtube videos.

So I've been thinking that I want to do some competition shooting... but what? I don't know the first thing. I don't want to look like an idiot the first time. I don't really have anyone to guide me. So how do I get started?

Very similar to when I got my boy started in karting. But I think that just like in that situation, people will say they will help, but when the action starts, they're off doing their own thing.

I need a primer. What do I need? Down to every last item. What is an event day like? I don't just mean the rules, I can read them. But how does it "go"?

If you want new people, you've got to get them out there for sure, but you've got to make them feel comfortable and welcome. I like the idea of assigning a mentor. I really like the idea of shooting for free the first time. (I don't mean free ammo.)

So here's your first new recruit... I'm interested. Now what?

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    [QUOTE)So here's your first new recruit... I'm interested. Now what?[/quote]
    Can you make it to the South Central Match this coming Sunday?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    First step is doing what you are doing, asking questions.

Next figure out what you need to bring, get it, and come shoot.

We had three brand new shooters come out last Sunday and they had a blast.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Can you make it to the South Central Match this coming Sunday?

Unfortunately no. I'm a Colts season ticket holder so this Sunday is spoken for.

Also, I'm in Noblesville so South is not as good as say... Atlanta...

I was hoping someone like you, but from ACC, would say the same thing...

;)

P.S. @bwframe: I don't know what "Friday Night Steel" means, let alone where it is...?

But, I do have eye and ear protection. And I have read enough to know that I probably ought to buy a .22lr pistol as well as my Ruger SR9c so that I can shoot more. I'm just waiting for something to show up in the Classifieds that is too sweet to pass up in .22lr. I'm learning...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

;)

P.S. @bwframe: I don't know what "Friday Night Steel" means, let alone where it is...?

But, I do have eye and ear protection. And I have read enough to know that I probably ought to buy a .22lr pistol as well as my Ruger SR9c so that I can shoot more. I'm just waiting for something to show up in the Classifieds that is too sweet to pass up in .22lr. I'm learning...

First of all, FYI, Mongo is the match director for USPSA at ACC. Their season is over for this year.

Read that thread I linked above. Someone will start a thread for December early next week.

No reason to get in a big hurry on buying a 22 pistol. Come shoot with us and try before you buy. That will give you a better idea of what to look for.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Your the reason I have spent a lot of money on guns and gear sir!! I was happy just shooting IDPA untill you conned me into USPSA! Then I heard about this thing call "3 gun",,,, well there went my retirement fund.

Have you realized yet that I'm running a pyramid scheme? After I got you, you snagged Jake, then came DeZarn. None of this is an accident. I tried to get DeZarn years ago, but he would just say to me, "I don't shoot IPSC," and the conversation was over. I had to seek alternate strategies.

Some others I brought from local IDPA matches are no longer shooting with us, but I hope to see them again some day.

You have caused me to spend much money sir:D
    I try to do the same , I am working on few guys at work and my kids .

Glad to be of service! Good on you for continuing the pyramid!

Agreed!! ie our newest shooter on sunday.....that took me a lot of arm twisting, now shes hooked....

Awesome!

abrumlev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    NE Indy
    I'm 22 and really want to get into this (I'd like to try this sundays uspsa event in Freetown)
    I've skimmed through the rulebook and its obvious I'd be shooting single stack with my Para 1911. The rulebook can be a bit intimidating though. I currently own 2 factory mags and a crappy owb style uncle mikes holster.

If someone who's attending this sundays match would lend me some mags and mag carrier as well as walk me through the basic strategies, I would be glad to buy em lunch.

I just got into autocrossing down in Columbus and it really helped when some guys I know through school convinced me to go try it one day in their car and it made all the difference. The Columbus region is much more relaxed than the Indy and I felt less pressure because most of the guys were there to have fun. /somewhat related story

Caspian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Noblesville
    Also, I'm in Noblesville so South is not as good as say... Atlanta...

;)

Crispy. I also live in Noblesville and am the match director for FNS. Shoot me a pm and I will be happy to be your mentor at the next FNS

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    I'm 22 and really want to get into this (I'd like to try this sundays uspsa event in Freetown)
    I've skimmed through the rulebook and its obvious I'd be shooting single stack with my Para 1911. The rulebook can be a bit intimidating though. I currently own 2 factory mags and a crappy owb style uncle mikes holster.

If someone who's attending this sundays match would lend me some mags and mag carrier as well as walk me through the basic strategies, I would be glad to buy em lunch.

I just got into autocrossing down in Columbus and it really helped when some guys I know through school convinced me to go try it one day in their car and it made all the difference. The Columbus region is much more relaxed than the Indy and I felt less pressure because most of the guys were there to have fun. /somewhat related story

There will Always be somebody there to help you out and show you whats what. So come on out and play. I tink I have a few mags Ill check. Youll need a good Belt Ill check on mag pouches. 200 rds of ammo give or take. See you Sunday

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County

I am not sure if my brother is going to this match (downrange72) if he is he already has possesion of my SS gear and I would be happy to let you use my Mags and mag carriers .
    you will need at least 6 mags for SS. 5 on your belt
    I will send him a pm to see if he is going

you know what my mag carriers will work but my mags won't . I have a 40 Sorry.
    It doesn't look like he is going to make it anyway Some one will be along

Last edited:

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    OK everybody here is my plan. Going to rent a booth at the next 1500 cost is $90.00 30 days in advance $100.00 after that. I have contacted USPSA for promotional items fliers,dvds,frontsight magazines women of uspsa info and dvds. So on and so forth. What we need is to get volunteers to work it. The dates on the web show it on Jan 14-16. And figure out how to pay for the booth. Hickman said he has plenty of video to play on a monitor so we will need a monitor also. Come on people what do you say?

Last edited:

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Ill man the booth as long as nessecary, did it before for the ISRPA and loved it, just tell me when.
    Thanks Mike!!! Theres one. Looks like best way might be 2 shifts per day might be good. So that would be lets say 5 people a shift we have 30 slots to fill.
    Got 4 need at least 26 more

Last edited:
    Top Bottom