Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Just curious. Do you guys run what you EDC, or do you have separate equipment? I'm talking holsters too.

I EDC a MTAC and Comp-tac Mag pouches. So I'm curious if I should run those. OR invest in an OWB holster to use instead. Such as a Raven.
    We have several shooters use their carry guns and holsters, pouches. Its a little slower on the draw but with practice that can be overcome. Bring what you got and youll figure out the rest. Just ask and see what everybody else is doing and make a choice. We have shooters carry their mags in their pockets also. Nothing wrong with it it just slows you down a bit. But its what ever YOU make of it.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    dont know...aint never met your wife...

dont sell your wife short...she might be really good...

we dont have pro highpower,,,so their all amatures,,,plus,,,your little story aint what were talking about...we aint talking about day 1...were talking about a new shooter who wants to get anywhere...soon as you get past the wow wasnt that fun,,,the shooter will run into an equipment barrier...

they aint gonna move up without a competition gun...but i guess you know better...i guess all these stores that sell expensive parts and upgrades are just wasting everyones time,,,because you think a high master will hold that class with a stock Vulcan Arms A2...and a Les Baer Custom Ultimate CMP Competition is a waste of time...

Les Baer Custom Inc.

tell me this...since the AK47 can be shot in highpower,,,how come it dont win every match??? oh,,because the sights suck,,,and its a mid range round,,,and its a combat rifle designed for reliability over accuracy,,,and the barrel heats up and strings... sometimes,,,youll see one play on the reduced course,,,not on the big course...

ill take any sharpshooter with a M1A over any high master with a AK47 on the national match course...

you should go shoot highpower with it and win every match...show us how its done...

are we done here??? i dont want to come back to this thread...

All you have proven here is you know NOTHING about that which you speak.

Absolutely nothing. I suggest you have a conversation with someone who has actually shot a rifle before, I am starting to doubt that you ever have.

Nobody is talking about a Vulcan, but you can advance very easily with a reasonably cheap White Oak or Rock River. It can and HAS been done, repeatedly.

I will say it again, in case anyone new shows up and actually thinks you have a clue what you are talking about...

Highpower service rifle is a VERY inexpensive rifle sport.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    we dont have pro highpower,,,so their all amatures,,,plus,,,your little story aint what were talking about...we aint talking about day 1...were talking about a new shooter who wants to get anywhere...soon as you get past the wow wasnt that fun,,,the shooter will run into an equipment barrier...

they aint gonna move up without a competition gun...but i guess you know better...i guess all these stores that sell expensive parts and upgrades are just wasting everyones time,,,because you think a high master will hold that class with a stock Vulcan Arms A2...and a Les Baer Custom Ultimate CMP Competition is a waste of time...

Paper, is that you?

To everyone else, I frequent another board where we have this guy that thinks ",,,,," is proper punctuation. There can't be two of them.

He's this way over there as well...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Not to be completely off topic, but I am a new (to handguns) shooter at Purdue and would really like someone to go over handgun fundamentals with me.

Are you talking about the very basics like safety and how to operate the gun, fundamentals of marksmanship and such? If so, you might benefit from ACT's BP100 Basic Pistol class in March. If you're interested or want to know more, send email to me at joseph@adaptiveconsultingandtraining.com.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Just curious. Do you guys run what you EDC, or do you have separate equipment? I'm talking holsters too.

I EDC a MTAC and Comp-tac Mag pouches. So I'm curious if I should run those. OR invest in an OWB holster to use instead. Such as a Raven.

I almost always use my daily carry holster (Ky-Tac BraveHeart) when I shoot IDPA and usually the same when I shoot USPSA. The only difference between my carry gear is that I add more mag carriers for USPSA than I usually carry, but they're all similar (a mix of Blade-Tech and Comp-Tac).

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I almost always use my daily carry holster (Ky-Tac BraveHeart) when I shoot IDPA and usually the same when I shoot USPSA. The only difference between my carry gear is that I add more mag carriers for USPSA than I usually carry, but they're all similar (a mix of Blade-Tech and Comp-Tac).

what is "more" than you usually carry? one? :D

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    these days, it is.

Kinda like how NASCAR replaced chariot racing.... :D

JT - the day USPSA Nationals get 1200 shoooters like Camp Perry, then you've got a point. USPSA (and IDPA) have a long way to go in terms of participation.

Guys - I don't agree with 99.5% of machete's comments in this thread. But, his comments about equipment as they relate to NRA games are not too far off base. All of those have an accuracy requirement that would make anyone outside of the top-16 at the USPSA nationals *-hole pucker up so tight that you couldn't dive a needle with steam pile driver up there. NRA games are point based only. Points mean accuracy. Accuracy, at championship levels, costs money.

Do you have to have that to start? No. If you stay in it long enough where you get deluded enough to think you can win something, are you willing to spend as much as you can on your equipment to make it easier? Hell yes. Do you have to? NO. How many people do you know who have shot USPSA (which is the unspoken sport we're referring to the most, here) for more than a season who are still shooting a stock gun exclusively? Few if there are any. I know I wanted a S_I based gun as soon as I knew I loved this sport. And, I got it (and still have it).

NRA Action Pistol was the same for me. I started with my USPSA Limited gun. I shot it well, and I think I took it as far as I could. I decided I needed a better arrow. Then, I had a 6" 38 Super built. That gun, in a lot of ways, was like buying 100 points instantly. And, I don't regret a penny of (and I still don't even thought it hasn't seen an AP match in two years). There isn't a soul who shoots a over 1850 with a stock, factory gun. Here's a quote from GunNutsMedia (Caleb G's website)

As far as Production division itself, the results kind of came as a shock to me. Dave Sevigny finished third with an 1833, which while higher than his score last year wasn’t enough to overcome Kyle Schmidt of Team Safariland. Jerry Miculek shot Production this year with a revolver, and finished in 6th place, and BJ Norris finished in 12th place. Any of those guys will tell you that Bianchi is a wildly different game from USPSA, Steel Challenge, and IDPA – the emphasis on extreme accuracy and trigger management means that it’s not “business as usual”. Take for example KC Eusebio in Open division. KC is one of the fastest guns in the world, holding multiple world records in Steel Challenge, 2 World Speed Shooting Championships, and is always a threat to win the USPSA Nationals – yet here at the Cup he placed 69th in Open Division. This isn’t a slam to his skills, just pointing out that Bianchi is a very different game.

It is the Indian. And, it's no mistake that the best indians shoot the best arrows. The best arrows cost a LOT of money.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Do you have to have that to start? No.

This is where this thread is focusing: On getting people started. So this needs to be emphasized.

Whether it's shooting, golf, or racing cars, the cost get started and testing the water is not the same as the cost to win national championships. Let's be careful not to focus on the latter. If you make it seem that the house needs mortaged to even try out a sport, that will certainly drive off new shooters. I gave golf a try with a $50 set of clubs. Realized I bored and would rather be on the range so I sold the clubs for what I had into them and never looked back. But I might have gotten hooked and ended up spending gobs of money on gear. This concept applies to the shooting sports, too.

-rvb

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    My bad, I thought you had to qualify to go to Nationals. Is it open to everyone? My hogwash is flowing deeply :(

I think you are right JT. Only the top qualifiers go to Nationals in USPSA. I think anyone with a gun and desire can go to Perry.

I could be wrong.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Only the top qualifiers go to Nationals in USPSA.

no, any uspsa member can go to nationals. slots are reserved for previous nationals winners, area winners, etc, but then slots are given to sections to give to their members (sections set their own critera iirc), then they open slots to first come first serve.

-rvb

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    no, any uspsa member can go to nationals. slots are reserved for previous nationals winners, area winners, etc, but then slots are given to sections to give to their members (sections set their own critera iirc), then they open slots to first come first serve.

-rvb

I could be wrong.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    A summary of what we've learned and discussed in this tread is important.

Clubs can attract new shooters by

• advertising their events and disciplines more. Many new shooters don't even know that there is a club that holds regular, organized events.
    • offering discounts to new shooters/first match free
    • offering discounts to junior shooters
    • hosting open house events where new shooters can learn about the facilities and disciplines offered in a safe, stress-light (nothing is free, folds) environment.
    • creating and promoting new shooter mentoring programs.
    • examine rimfire events and how they serve as gateway programs.
    Experienced shooters can attract new shooters by

• offering their skills and advice through formal mentoring and/or coaching (there is a difference).
    • loaning extra gear to new shooters who are interested, but haven't made the investment in equipment.
    • provide encouragement to new shooters at matches.
    • actively seek out new shooters and bring them along to matches they regularly attend.
    • helping them understand that it is only an equipment race if they choose for it to be one - stock gear is competitive for a long time for most shooters.
    • remember that there a probably more shooting sports that you DON'T participate in than those you DO.
    New shooters can help themselves by

• taking the first step. Understanding that most anything worthwhile is going to have a learning curve - shooting sports are no different.
    • asking LOTS of questions
    • learn about the sanctioning bodies and disciplines. There is NOTHING that says that if you tried USPSA and didn't like it that something like NRA 2700 or International Pistol matches might be more to your liking and temperament.
    • not being afraid to help. Matches take time and muscle to setup, run, and tear down. Many hands...
    • understanding that after SAFETY, FUN is the most important thing. If you make it competitive, that's up to you. No one will ever force your to care about a score.
    • understand that sport shooting can be VERY EXPENSIVE. How expensive is entirely up to you. World titles have been won with stock Glock 17s as well as $3k 2011s. All else being equal software > hardware.
    There might be many things missing, but that hits on most of the ideas shared here.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Dave it was/is a good post. Many good ideas have been kicked around and several will eb implemented. Mongo has us at the 1500 and that has never been done before and it is a good thing.

It has been a great conversation and we all need to encourage new shooters to come out and try. I think we all need to drag a teenager out there as well. Get one of them and we likely get a parent as well.

Gun owners who have not tried out competition need to sack up and do it.

Top Bottom