• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    The point is, who cares if you suck and who cares if you are the best? Only you. Do it because it's fun and you like doing it. If it's not fun for you for whatever reason, don't do it.

true,,,but what ive seen is some guy drops a grand on a kimber or gold cup and thinks he has an accurate gun but learns he cant do cr&p with that gun in a 2700 match...because no gun on that line hasnt been sent to a smith...and his stock rounds suck compared to the low power reloads being shot,,,so he figures heck with this --he doesnt have time to get into reloading now too--so he just goes out for range time and lets the sport part be... thats what im talking about with the older sports...nobody wants to drop that much cash into a gun and learn that they cant compete when you can still play softball with a old bat and glove

i agree with pushing 22 events...stock guns and stock ammo are something anyone can do,,,but we need to make everyone feel its still macho to shoot a 22...and you know what i mean...

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    nobody wants to drop that much cash into a gun and learn that they cant compete when you can still play softball with a old bat and glove

eh, as a coach and father of kids who play baseball/softball... that bat analogy doesn't work these days ;)

DeMarini and Nike bats run 300-400 a pop... and I've got four kids...

as with any sport, it's a combitnation of talent and equipment.

The great thing about USPSA is they have classes, so fat/cripple guys like me can compete against somebody.... like BWFRAME :D :rockwoot: :draw:

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    eh, as a coach and father of kids who play baseball/softball... that bat analogy doesn't work these days ;)

DeMarini and Nike bats run 300-400 a pop... and I've got four kids...

:hijack:

do your kids a favor and have them swing wood...

that fancy 400 $dollar bat aint gonna do squat in a wood bat league...and it will just get the kid laughed at for thinking he can buy a hit...

if you try to use it in a pickup game,,,youll be told to leave it in the rack...unless you agree to let everyone use it,,,but even then,,,the pitcher may not want to face a cheater bat...

when i came up,,,if a kid showed up with a $400 bat,,,probably $150 back then,,,he would have had it taken from him and he would have gotten beat up with it...thats gods truth,,,and my neighborhood was only semi tough,,, that bat would have gone to exactly ONE practice...

if you managed to get that bat into a game,,,i can see the pitcher just drilling the kid for using a super springy instohit bat... why not??? if all you have to do is make contact to get a hit with one of these bats,,,give the kid his base---the painful way...teach him a lesson...

heres the thing---a les baer can hold the x at 50 yards where a stock gold cup cant... i dont care what bat you got,,,if you dont got the body and skill,,,youre not gonna lay wood on a fastball...

The great thing about USPSA is they have classes, so fat/cripple guys like me can compete against somebody.... like BWFRAME :D :rockwoot: :draw:

USPSA and action pistol seems to be where all the new shooters are going...but 2700 classes by score,,,not equipment

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I shoot cheap Glock in Production and Limited. Had an STI Spartan for Single Stack and ended up getting great deal on a Wilson, but I don't shoot any better with it.

That's one thing I love about USPSA, any age/ability/equipment has a place.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    I shoot cheap Glock in Production and Limited. Had an STI Spartan for Single Stack and ended up getting great deal on a Wilson, but I don't shoot any better with it.

That's one thing I love about USPSA, any age/ability/equipment has a place.
    HOW dare you use cheap and GLOCK in the same sentence. (Blasphamy)
    You of all people shame shame on you!!!!!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Part of what needs to be gotten across is that it is the Indian not the arrow. A good gun helps but it does not buy wins. I have seen Jake shoot a match with his Brazos, reshoot the same match with a Glock he had never touched and the scores were not much different and the Glock scores were better at times.

Guys with a glock are not competing against the Open and Limited guns unless they want to do so.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I made it a point this season to squad with people I didn't know... now I know probably 50 other shooters and learned a lot.

This is a valuable idea, and since a group almost always goes out for lunch after the match, as a newbie, invite yourself along. In this setting it wont be considered rude, and you will make a ton of new friends along the way.

Non gun friends of mine often ask how I got this buried in the "gun thing". I started 12 years ago, at the age of 16 and within a couple months I had met a dozen people from all over the midwest. Next thing I know one guy invites me to a steel match at his home club, then another guy invites me to a PPC match at his club, then on a free weekend I got a call to try an IDPA match somewhere else, then 3 guys gang up and make me try USPSA, it just all snowballs. If you go to one match and dont shoot anyone, you will get invited to more, join the guys for lunch afterwards and you will get invited to 10 more, as well as get offers to borrow gear you dont own and try guns you didnt know existed. It wont take long before you have 3 legitamite friends at every club you are willing to drive to. There will always be 1 jerk, but 99% of the club will kill themselves trying to be helpful. Show up with a positive attitude and you will find a new lifestyle full of friends you only dream of.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Guys with a glock are not competing against the Open and Limited guns unless they want to do so.

I have run production class solid for the last couple years and love it, because while we dont compete against high end raceguns, it is possible to beat them, and when you do.... man, does it feel good

Ive had STI open and Limited class, hand built guns, and still shoot stock guns more.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I always tell first timers that no one will ever remember how well they shot their first match, but their mindfullness of safety and their attitude towards others will be remembered for years.

-rvb

Heh.

There's always an exception to the rule. Sometime ask obijohn or someone else who was at my first USPSA match back in 1994 or 95. There was a safety issue that is remembered by three of us (and anyone who has the tape), but the story that gets told more often is how I shot one of the stages. And shot. And shot. And shot. Paras hold lots of bullets. Heh.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    Part of what needs to be gotten across is that it is the Indian not the arrow.

sorry,,,but its the arrow...

if you try highpower without a floating barrel--match chamber--1:7 twist--bull barrel--no chrome lining--micro click sight sight--perfect handloads--two stage trigger,,,sorry,,,but you wont get as close to the x as the guy who has all that...

thats just the way it is...

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    And if Dave Tubb gave the best rifle he ever owned to me, I still couldnt hit the barn wall from the inside.....

also, as an aside, any production grade firearm is plenty accurate for any pistol shooting game discussed here

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

if you try highpower without a floating barrel--match chamber--1:7 twist--bull barrel--no chrome lining--micro click sight sight--perfect handloads--two stage trigger,,,sorry,,,but you wont get as close to the x as the guy who has all that...

not while you are moving, reloading on the move and shooting a texas star.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield

Dude, I'm sick of listening to you argue with every damn post on here. If you don't want to play the games, then don't. But quit pissing in everying single person whos posted here cheerios. Quit trying to drive those who are looking and watching this thread, and trying to decide if they would like to test the shooting sports water away.

Coach is right on, the "indian" is MUCH more important than the "arrow"

Give a rookie a $5000 race gun and give Coach or Jake or Max a bone stock glock, M&P, XD, whatever, guess who wins?? Same can be said of your bull crap hi-power example. Give a rank amature a custom hi end rifle and give a master a stock Rem 700, guess who wins.....

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

If you really feel that way, then you will most likely never give the shooting sports a try.

your loss.

If you can't enjoy yourself w/o being at the top, then you'll never enjoy yourself.

And what's AS close? If you are new to any shooting sport, even high power, I bet you could swap gear with someone with a lot of experience and still get your butt handed to you.

Grab a bare bones A2 and go try it. I've been wanting to give highpower a try myself, and that's exactly what I intend to do if I get time this season (though I'm drastically limiting my time on the range this year, but I hope to do it).

-rvb

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    not while you are moving, reloading on the move and shooting a texas star.

very true,,,but thats only one of the shooting sports,,,in most shooting sports,,,the shooter dont move

If you really feel that way, then you will most likely never give the shooting sports a try.

your loss.

been involved in one shooting sport or another for about 30 years...

its good you have these handgun shooting sports for stock guns,,,but the big time shooting sports--the ones that make it into the olympics--are not running stock G17s...

Josh Ward said:
    Dude, I'm sick of listening to you argue with every damn post on here. If you don't want to play the games, then don't. But quit pissing in everying single person whos posted here cheerios. Quit trying to drive those who are looking and watching this thread, and trying to decide if they would like to test the shooting sports water away.

Coach is right on, the "indian" is MUCH more important than the "arrow"

Give a rookie a $5000 race gun and give Coach or Jake or Max a bone stock glock, M&P, XD, whatever, guess who wins?? Same can be said of your bull crap hi-power example. Give a rank amature a custom hi end rifle and give a master a stock Rem 700, guess who wins.....

sheesh,,,testy...but you dont know what your talking about--sorry

ive never seen a rem 700 with iron sights,,,so its not cmp legal for service rifle,,, plus,,,even if you found one,,,and shot it in NRA highpower,,,the high master gets killed by a marksman,,,because the high master cant shoot the rapid fire stage well enough... you could try highpower with a mosin,,,but dont expect to move up in class...

when you say --shooting sports-- there are a lot of shooting sports that people think of...

heres all the NRA rulebooks for the shooting sports--

NRA Rule Books

with the exception of the new sports like action pistol and police combat,,,you need an expensive gun to compete in any of the established shooting sports...hiding that fact dont do any favors to new shooters...

heres the Camp Perry results page--

NRA National Rifle & Pistol Championships, Camp Perry, Ohio

theres not a cheap gun event in there

heres what it says right on the bullseye page--

--By any measure, bullseye is not an inexpensive sport. A quality rimfire pistol and .45 caliber gun can easily run more than $2000. This high startup cost often intimidates beginners (and more experience shooters, for that matter). In fact, the subject of advising beginners on equipment comes up quite often on the list.

The problem is this: the quality of your equipment places an upper bound on your scores. If your gun is only capable of shooting a 5" group at 50 yards, you'll never shoot a perfect score, no matter how good you are. Beginners may not be able to shoot a perfect score, but many shooters improve fast enough that they soon encounter the limitations of "entry-level" equipment. Experienced shooters generally advise beginners to look into used guns, especially for centerfire pistols. Buying a used bullseye gun from a shooter that you know and trust can be an excellent way of getting quality equipment at a relatively low price. Bullseye guns haven't changed a whole lot over time, so a five or six year old gun (in good condition) won't necessarily put you at a disadvantage. --

Bullseye-l FAQ Section 2 - Equipment

heres what else it says--The 1911A1-pattern pistols dominate the line for bullseye. The high accuracy potential and wealth of gunsmith expertise in modifying these guns make them an easy choice for most shooters. The downside is that (with the possible exception of the Kimber guns) there isn't a single 1911 that will meet the bullseye accuracy standard out of the box. Even the "target" models such as the Colt Gold Cup and Springfield Trophy Match do not claim to be able to shoot a 10-shot group into 3" at 50 yards. Thus, nearly every bullseye shooter has a 1911 that has been customized to some extent. At a bare minimum a 1911 will need to have the slide-to-frame fit tightened, a match barrel and bushing fitted, adjustable iron sights or an electronic dot sight mounted, and some trigger massaging by a competent pistolsmith. This work easily adds several hundred dollars to the cost of the gun, but is money very well spent. --

sorry,,,but its the arrow... the big shooting sports are like auto racing---you can be a great driver,,,but if youre in a pinto,,,it dont matter how good you are,,,Denny Hamlin is going to kick your butt...

now you want to start talking benchrest or 50 cal matches??? see what the price does when you take on a shooting sport that uses 1000 yard targets...

in the gun world we say--accuracy costs money, and more accuracy costs more money. Extreme accuracy costs LOTS of money!!!

some of you have found a shooting sport that lets you shoot with stock gun--thats only ONE type of shooting sport--and its not to everyones liking...

dont go around thinking --shooting sports-- automatically means run-n-gun

Top Bottom