Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    clip...
    blah,,,
    --blah--
    blah,,,
    clip...

Thanks for all your input friend!:)

Your unique insight intrigued me, so I done a bit of researching into your INGO contributions. Looks as though, in the few weeks you've been a member, 95% of your contributions to this forum have been in the politics section. I guess that might explain why a sole might be so jaded, huh?:dunno:

BTW - When was your last match? What shooting sport? The location?
    I'd like to take a look at the results, please.

Last edited:

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    sorry,,,but its the arrow...

if you try highpower without a floating barrel--match chamber--1:7 twist--bull barrel--no chrome lining--micro click sight sight--perfect handloads--two stage trigger,,,sorry,,,but you wont get as close to the x as the guy who has all that...

thats just the way it is...
    Making definitive statements regarding something you obviously have little knowledge of is normally not recommended.

I regularly compete in Highpower/Long Range, USPSA and Steel. The bow/arrow is more critical in a discipline requiring accuracy, however it still comes down to the Indian. Attempting to compare the equipment requirements is, quite honestly, ridiculous.

For the new shooter in Highpower, I have always suggested they buy all the points that they can afford and then practice to get the rest of them. Divisions in USPSA can be shot with box stock pistols competitively. The same can be said for Steel with pistols/rifles/carbines. Your chances of winning in a particular division in the latter two sports is enhanced by aftermarket work/parts, however, they aren't required to have fun, unless you're experiencing a reliability issue.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    sorry,,,but its the arrow...

if you try highpower without a floating barrel--match chamber--1:7 twist--bull barrel--no chrome lining--micro click sight sight--perfect handloads--two stage trigger,,,sorry,,,but you wont get as close to the x as the guy who has all that...

thats just the way it is...

No it is not the arrow, and my own experience has demonstrated the that it is not. Perhaps the excuse of equipment and an arms race is being used to cover up other issues.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    95% of your contributions to this forum have been in the politics section. I guess that might explain why a sole might be so jaded, huh?

Prob why all he wants to do is argue as well.

Machete, I stand by my statements, all you are doing is arguing for the sake of arguing, its stupid.

Its like you are trying to drive away anyone who may by looking to jump into the shooting sports...(any of them). Not afraid of a newbie giving you a run for your money are you??:dunno:

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    Prob why all he wants to do is argue as well.

Machete, I stand by my statements, all you are doing is arguing for the sake of arguing, its stupid.

Its like you are trying to drive away anyone who may by looking to jump into the shooting sports...(any of them). Not afraid of a newbie giving you a run for your money are you??:dunno:

no,,,not arguing to argue,,,i just really think --i know-- youre wrong

i aint trying to drive away new shooters,,,but i aint gonna lie to them neither...

ransom rest a stock springfield 1911 with ball ammo at 50 yards...it will look like you shot 00 buck downrange...maybe not quite that bad,,,but it will suck...

if you throw out the new games like steel and run-n-gun,,,find me a cheap gun event...???

hell,,,a newbie could probably beat me...holding one handed with a steady 6 oclock gets harder and harder,,,every year,,,and i love my caffeine too much...plus those sights get fuzzier

anyway,,,im doone here... yall think that run-n-gun is the shooting sports,,,and it should have been obvious to me that yall were trying to get new shooters to those shooting sports,,,not palma rifle...or 2700...or air rifle...

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    yall think that run-n-gun is the shooting sports,,,and it should have been obvious to me that yall were trying to get new shooters to those shooting sports,,,not palma rifle...or 2700...or air rifle...

these days, it is.

Kinda like how NASCAR replaced chariot racing.... :D

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I have two things to say, one is ...

Highpower is one of the CHEAPEST rifle games to get into, you can be perfectly competitive for years using a bone stock Rock River National Match for what.. 1100 ? Also the round count is very low, single stage reloading presses are the norm....

Comon, this Machete guy is just being a grouch.

The second thing is, I agree with LLDJR, those of us with responsibilities involving church services on Sundays, are pretty much excluded from USPSA in this area. I myself got involved with IDPA and Steel up in Atlanta for this very reason. Its on a Saturday.

Had to make the choice between USPSA, and missing out on family, friends, and religious services.

For ME personally, thats what keeping me away from USPSA. Which is fine, I am enjoying the heck out of IDPA and Steel. But it is something I would be 100% into if it started around 1pm or later.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm still in. You can ask Josh Ward, I can't shoot worth crap, he's seen me at Friday Night Steel. But I'm still in :). I'd like to participate in shooting sports. Do my part to contribute. I feel like my skills will only get better if I do.

Plus I talked to my wife. I now plan on taking more of Coach's classes to get better and get the feel of it. It's gonna be fun :D

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Had to make the choice between USPSA, and missing out on family, friends, and religious services.

Sundays are probably why I shoot USPSA. I can go to church several times a week on various nights, does your church only do Sunday mornings?

Our Saturdays are booked, since that's when the kids all play baseball/softball/basketball/football until they hit High School and play Friday Nights.

I guess everyone finds their sport based on when they have free time. Most of my best friends are guys I shoot with on Sundays.:rockwoot:

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    I'm still in. You can ask Josh Ward, I can't shoot worth crap, he's seen me at Friday Night Steel. But I'm still in :). I'd like to participate in shooting sports. Do my part to contribute. I feel like my skills will only get better if I do.

Plus I talked to my wife. I now plan on taking more of Coach's classes to get better and get the feel of it. It's gonna be fun :D

Glad to hear it, Happy to shoot with you in the future. And you got one hell of a good wife if she going to let you hang out with Coach :D

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    no,,,not arguing to argue,,,i just really think --i know-- youre wrong

So you're sayiong I can go spend $6000+ on a bullseye gun or hi-power rifle for my wife and she's going to go out there and be competative?? You're full of ****. I can garundamntee you that lilrat or anyone whos been shooting hi-power or whatever for years will take a bone stock gun and kick the hell out of a rank amature with his/her million dollar gun.

Oh, and BTW, I own a Rem 700 with iron sights.....:)

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    So you're sayiong I can go spend $6000+ on a bullseye gun or hi-power rifle for my wife and she's going to go out there and be competative??

dont know...aint never met your wife...

You're full of ****.

dont sell your wife short...she might be really good...

I can garundamntee you that lilrat or anyone whos been shooting hi-power or whatever for years will take a bone stock gun and kick the hell out of a rank amature with his/her million dollar gun.

we dont have pro highpower,,,so their all amatures,,,plus,,,your little story aint what were talking about...we aint talking about day 1...were talking about a new shooter who wants to get anywhere...soon as you get past the wow wasnt that fun,,,the shooter will run into an equipment barrier...

they aint gonna move up without a competition gun...but i guess you know better...i guess all these stores that sell expensive parts and upgrades are just wasting everyones time,,,because you think a high master will hold that class with a stock Vulcan Arms A2...and a Les Baer Custom Ultimate CMP Competition is a waste of time...

Les Baer Custom Inc.

tell me this...since the AK47 can be shot in highpower,,,how come it dont win every match??? oh,,because the sights suck,,,and its a mid range round,,,and its a combat rifle designed for reliability over accuracy,,,and the barrel heats up and strings... sometimes,,,youll see one play on the reduced course,,,not on the big course...

ill take any sharpshooter with a M1A over any high master with a AK47 on the national match course...

Oh, and BTW, I own a Rem 700 with iron sights.....:)

you should go shoot highpower with it and win every match...show us how its done...

are we done here??? i dont want to come back to this thread...

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    you need an expensive gun to compete in any of the established shooting sports...hiding that fact dont do any favors to new shooters...

Highpower is one of the CHEAPEST rifle games to get into, you can be perfectly competitive for years using a bone stock Rock River National Match for what.. 1100 ? Also the round count is very low, single stage reloading presses are the norm....

And you can get into a match for half that w/ a stock A2, and upgrade to a match upper and trigger later....

The interesting thing here is that highpower service rifle still has rules that are based off stock military arms, yet they've allowed the game to become an equipment race. USPSA recognized that issue in itself and created the divisions where factory equipment could compete. I've said before it would do highpower well to introduce a stock division where non-match ARs (and carbines!) could compete.

Machete, you consider highpower to be an "established" sport (practical shooting has been around at least 35 years, I think it's pretty well established around the world [I'd hardly use olympics as a measure]), but what happens if you can't recruit new shooters who don't want to drop the coin on a gun for a specific purpose without first trying out the game to see if they enjoy it? What's wrong with getting them on the line with the equipment they have and "setting the hook?" This thread is about creating ideas to recuit new shooters. What ideas do you have to recruit shooters to highpower or bullseye? So far you've only described how to drive them away...

I've never shot highpower. I have a stock A2 style AR. Convince me to get on the line....

And I don't think Josh's point is that you will win championships w/ a stock gun, but that to the new shooter the shooting is the score limiter more than the equipment.

:twocents:

-rvb

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Last edited:

bothehunter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    shelbyville
    i know a good way of starting them young, its called 4-H shooting sports, in shelby co. its booked up full, and would be great if other communities started this program. as for me i dont no where to get started, i would love to do some type of shooting, but there is nothing i no of close.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    we dont have pro highpower,,,so their all amatures,,,plus,,,your little story aint what were talking about...we aint talking about day 1...were talking about a new shooter who wants to get anywhere...soon as you get past the wow wasnt that fun,,,the shooter will run into an equipment barrier...

they aint gonna move up without a competition gun...but i guess you know better...

are we done here??? i dont want to come back to this thread...
    I can't speak for Josh, but I can honestly say that I do know better. Having competed in the sport for approximately 19 years, I think I've picked up a thing or two.

Depending on what the new shooter starts with, there are very few who can say after the "wow" is over that they are limited by their equipment.
    I would strongly suggest that accurate 3 position shooting is not learned overnight or at a weekend training event. There are shooters who could train for years with a 1 minute rifle and not know the difference if it was able to shoot 1/2 minute the next match.

As you use the term "we" in your post, I'll assume you are a highpower shooter. How much experience have you had in the sport?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Just curious. Do you guys run what you EDC, or do you have separate equipment? I'm talking holsters too.

I EDC a MTAC and Comp-tac Mag pouches. So I'm curious if I should run those. OR invest in an OWB holster to use instead. Such as a Raven.

Top Bottom