• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcjon77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    Personally, I would love to see a renaissance of black gun ownership. I say renaissance because up until the late 60's/early 70's African-American firearms ownership was EXTREMELY prevalent. Remember that that vast majority of blacks living in the north had ancestors who migrated from the south.

Both of my grandfathers had guns growing up. My maternal grandfather used his strictly for hunting (since he left the south at around 14). My father's father was a very different story. The reason why he died at 102 in a hospital in Chicago and not at 22 swinging from a tree in Georgia is largely because he and his brothers had guns and people (white and black) knew that they were willing to use them.

Yes, it is annoying that it is the NBP advocating this. What is more annoying is that they are the one's getting press about it. Ton's of African-American gun proponents have been advocating for greater firearms ownership within the African-American community, but aside from a blurb in an article somewhere, no one hears about it. However, these guys co-opt the name of a defunct organization that they really have no relation to, start spouting nonsense about killing cops, hating whites and Jews, and the media gives them all of the air time they want. Why is that?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Personally, I would love to see a renaissance of black gun ownership. I say renaissance because up until the late 60's/early 70's African-American firearms ownership was EXTREMELY prevalent. Remember that that vast majority of blacks living in the north had ancestors who migrated from the south.

Both of my grandfathers had guns growing up. My maternal grandfather used his strictly for hunting (since he left the south at around 14). My father's father was a very different story. The reason why he died at 102 in a hospital in Chicago and not at 22 swinging from a tree in Georgia is largely because he and his brothers had guns and people (white and black) knew that they were willing to use them.

Yes, it is annoying that it is the NBP advocating this. What is more annoying is that they are the one's getting press about it. Ton's of African-American gun proponents have been advocating for greater firearms ownership within the African-American community, but aside from a blurb in an article somewhere, no one hears about it. However, these guys co-opt the name of a defunct organization that they really have no relation to, start spouting nonsense about killing cops, hating whites and Jews, and the media gives them all of the air time they want. Why is that?

Rhetorical question, or do you really wonder?

mcjon77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    Just wanted to add one more thing.

Over the past decade, there has been a nice amount of scholarship done on the history of black firearms ownership. It really is fascinating. Here are some links to books about the subject:

Negroes and the Gun: The Black Tradition of Arms
    Deacons for Defense: Armed Resistance and the Civil Rights Movement
    This Nonviolent Stuff'll Get You Killed: How Guns Made the Civil Rights Movement Possible
    We Will Shoot Back: Armed Resistance in the Mississippi Freedom Movement

As a side note: I have a personal dream/fantasy of an Appleseed type program that focuses on defensive handgun skills and is targeted toward the inner city. The same way the Appleseed program teaches a specific part of American history and provides rifle training, this program could teach this TERRIBLY UNDERREPORTED part of black history along with defensive handgun training.

It is both shocking and not surprising how many African-Americans who now a lot about other parts of black history and the civil rights movement no NOTHING about this. When I tell people about MLK Jr. having applied for and been denied a concealed carry permit in Alabama they looked shocked. I started telling one young man about the Deacons for Defense and Justice and he replied "I thought that was just a movie. Those guys were real?" It is amazing what you can do to people when you erase whole segments of their history.

However, there is a lot of hope. Ever since Illinois (no, I am not actually a Hoosier, sorry) got concealed carry, I have had people that I NEVER would have expected ask me about how to get their concealed carry license, or just whether it is legal for them to own a gun in Chicago. I love talking about it, and I have had to go back to my CCW instructor to get more of his business cards because I keep handing them out to friends.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Rhetorical. Unfortunately, I know why media (both mainstream, right and left) like to promote these knuckleheads. It is sensationalism at its best. It just irritates the holy heck out of me.

One of the reasons (and this is my opinion) that black people aren't big on gun ownership, is due to the belief that "black with gun = criminal." It's one of the reasons I very, very, very rarely OC..... closer to never.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    The Black Panthers are, and always have been, a scumbag terrorist group. NO different than ISIS / ISIL, just somewhat different tactics.

Don't care if 'every Black man' (or White Man, or Hispanic Man, or Asian Man, or any other man) is armed. I only care what he does with that gun.

Being scumbag terrorists, rest assured the Black Panthers have no 'good intent' in promoting their agenda.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    One of the reasons (and this is my opinion) that black people aren't big on gun ownership, is due to the belief that "black with gun = criminal." It's one of the reasons I very, very, very rarely OC..... closer to never.

That is a perception that needs to be changed.
    Take for instance stories coming out of Detroit where homeowners are standing up against the criminals.......
    It's hard to find stories getting play in the main stream media because as mentioned above, it doesn't fit the agenda of anti-gun societal warfare.
    Detroit Homeowners Use Guns to Show 'They Aren't Going to Take It Anymore' - Breitbart
    This is to be applauded and trumpeted. This is what SHOULD be the goal of black gun ownership. Defense of self, family and home.
    Everybody supports this.

I know you know this but the NBP are not advocating for civil community protection.
    They are advocating for war against the police, along with whites, who they feel are targeting them.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    We got '68 GCA because people saw the Black Panthers open carrying rifles and shotguns on the news.

I supported Black Panthers then, the NBP now, and the right of all Americans to their 2nd Amendment rights.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Probably not far from that. They were waving bats around in phila. PA, intimidating people who might not vote for "their" guy.

You're right, they're not that far off. They're raging racist, and I have no time for their antics. I don't care WHAT they say, I'm better off not hearing it.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I have never seen any material about the 68 act that even points to keeping guns out of the hands of the BPP. Do you have anything ?

This is all I ever thought the 68 act involved was,
    The Gun Control Act of 1968 - "...was enacted for the purpose of keeping firearms out of the hands of those not legally entitled to possess them because of age, criminal background, or incompetence." -- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms The Act regulates imported guns, expands the gun-dealer licensing and record keeping requirements, and places specific limitations on the sale of handguns. The list of persons banned from buying guns is expanded to include persons convicted of any non-business related felony, persons found to be mentally incompetent, and users of illegal drugs.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Silly boy, all gun control has always been based on the fear of the negro with a gun. People crapped their pants and codified their fear in fancy legal language. The Black Panther Party just brought that fear out. They were OC'ing before OC was cool.

I have never shared that fear.

Last edited:

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Silly boy ???? 1968 was certainly not 1863 by any means and if you think on today's standards that still goes on, you sir are narrow between the ears. If your being held back by someone you might want to look in the mirror. I worked most of my working years with the Federal Government and one thing I never heard was ' hey that black man has a gun, let's go take it from him.
    Can you just imagine with your thinking what it would be like to have a fair level playing field in the work atmosphere, where sex and race don't matter ?

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    What's the question here ? The stated mission is "to arm every black man that can legally be armed throughout the Unites States of America"

It seems to me that a key word is "legally".

Regardless of the history of a few individuals or the other agendas of the leadership, this particular question should be a simple answer for every INGOer.

YES

The only thing I might add if "willingly". I don't advocate for people to feel they should be armed if they are uncomfortable being armed.

Other than that, it doesn't matter if you are talking about racists, Nazis, Satan worshippers, whatever. If the individuals in question don't have a history of harming others, their personal viewpoints shouldn't matter.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

I remember walking to a black wresting teammate's locker with him before practice one day, and watching him pull a pistol out of his locker and put it in his bag (I grew up in the South Suburbs of Cook County). I was frankly shocked because I had never seen a (real) handgun before and I asked him why he had it. "Gangs" was his reply. I know the Blackstone Rangers were one big gang, but I can't remember the other one, maybe because the Blackstone Rangers changed their name and got more publicity.

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    The GCA of '68 was a direct result of "bad gun" propaganda in the media. JFK was shot in'63, the Texas Tower shootings in '66, MLK and Bobby Kennedy's '68 assassinations, all contributed to the growing anti gun feeling in the public who increasingly were city and suburban non gun owning householders. MLK in Apr '68 and Bobby's shooting was in June '68 and that goof Johnson signed the law into being in Oct '68. The growing civil unrest in the U.S. over civil rights and Viet Nam also was a worry for Jack n Jill Public afraid of armed protesters going berserk. Most of '68's GCA rules have been legally circumvented. The biggest problem remaining is interstate transfer of firearms. The '94 ban shows just how ridiculous the anti's are in their approach.

Why don't they call themselves "the african Amercan panthers? "Black" sounds so yesterday, un P.C., and threatening. Maybe the "african American AK scouts"?

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I have never seen any material about the 68 act that even points to keeping guns out of the hands of the BPP. Do you have anything ?

This is all I ever thought the 68 act involved was,
    The Gun Control Act of 1968 - "...was enacted for the purpose of keeping firearms out of the hands of those not legally entitled to possess them because of age, criminal background, or incompetence." -- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms The Act regulates imported guns, expands the gun-dealer licensing and record keeping requirements, and places specific limitations on the sale of handguns. The list of persons banned from buying guns is expanded to include persons convicted of any non-business related felony, persons found to be mentally incompetent, and users of illegal drugs.

Mulford Act 1967 (California)

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Just joining in the chorus of folks who think this is great.

I still get a kick out of the "old" Black Panthers showing up to occupy the CA capitol building, allegedly sending then-governor Reagan running upon seeing 30 black people with guns approaching.

A quote from one of the occupiers still has relevance:

“We’re the Black Panthers.
    We’re black people with guns.
    What about it?”

Top Bottom