• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    So if I wanted an AR made into a full auto, there's no legal way of making it happen?

Yes and no.

You can find what is called a "lightning link" that was registered prior to May 1986. It will convert your AR into a machine gun. I haven't priced them in a while but they should be upwards of 7 or 8 thousand dollars.

SWD Lightning Link

The other way to do it is to buy a registered Drop In Auto Sear (RDIAS).

Drop In Auto Sear

More expensive, but more durable and robust.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    LOL I plan on training long before I buy some thousands of dollars worth of machine gun parts! But I also see investing a couple few thousand into a full-auto AR worth more than a 1911! LOL In all seriousness, I think more people should start investing in this stuff. If we ever did have a government uprising or a hostile takeover by say Mexico, Semi-auto's just might not be enuff to stop a full auto, high power, large caliber army!

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    LOL I plan on training long before I buy some thousands of dollars worth of machine gun parts! But I also see investing a couple few thousand into a full-auto AR worth more than a 1911! LOL In all seriousness, I think more people should start investing in this stuff. If we ever did have a government uprising or a hostile takeover by say Mexico, Semi-auto's just might not be enuff to stop a full auto, high power, large caliber army!

Aimed semi-auto fire is deadly enough. Full auto isn't necessary and usually just wastes ammo.

The training you have will matter more than having a gun that shoots more than one round per pull of the trigger.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Oh trust me I agree with the training statement. But I do disagree with full auto wasting ammo. Tell that to the military. And if SHTF is a big way, heaven forbid, full auto is the one thing that would save your life. That and a good sniper and sniper rifle. God forbid it ever happens, but I'm sure some day, whether we live to see it or not, a "Red Dawn" scenario isn't so far fetched.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Oh trust me I agree with the training statement. But I do disagree with full auto wasting ammo. Tell that to the military. ......

Last three friends I've had that came back were all issued Semi-Auto only M4s

Also, machine guns, do very little against tanks and F-22 Raptors.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Yeah I couldn't see any situation where full-auto would make a difference as opposed to semi-auto fire. Spray-and-pray, while fun, isn't going to do much more than just waste ammo.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Semi-auto vs. Full-auto during onslaught of 300 men against our 20. better pull that trigger fast!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For something you can hold in your hands, full-auto fire is primarily useful for suppressive fire, something which those of us outside of the military (including police) won't be doing (legally). For actually addressing threats, you'll do as well or better with semi-auto fire. Choose to disbelieve if you will, but as you learn more about how these things actually work, you'll come to understand.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Well I'll be the first to admit that an M16 or MP5 is a lot of fun on full-auto!

So is a Glock 18. :D

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    No that's when you switch to air support or mortars! :rockwoot:

remember you may not have air support so homemade claymores are as effective. Too bad learning these skills will deem you a terrorist.

Anyway, you are all right. As a civilian in a peaceful world, we will never need full auto. But if and when that time comes when war comes on American soil, and trust me that time will come, full auto is something you will wish you had. Any war-time military experianced vets wish to comment?

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    If war comes to the US, be patient my friend.... A well-aimed head-shot to the enemy at the right time might net you a nice full-auto.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I see you may have studied some guerrila warfare my friend. Kudos to you! LOL I just hope it never has to be our own army one day.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    remember you may not have air support so homemade claymores are as effective. Too bad learning these skills will deem you a terrorist.

That depends how and where you learned it. If you really paid attention in Basic Training, You'd know what components you need. Now, crafting/acquiring those components... that's another story. Good luck on that. :thumbsup:

Anyway, you are all right. As a civilian in a peaceful world, we will never need full auto. But if and when that time comes when war comes on American soil, and trust me that time will come, full auto is something you will wish you had. Any war-time military experianced vets wish to comment?

Honestly, as a Combat veteran, I would honestly like to keep as many rounds as I could. Resupplying yourself in the field is a bitch, especially when you have to fund yourself. I personally would want to be felt, but not seen or heard. You can't really do that under full auto.... even suppressed.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Honestly, as a Combat veteran, I would honestly like to keep as many rounds as I could. Resupplying yourself in the field is a bitch, especially when you have to fund yourself. I personally would want to be felt, but not seen or heard. You can't really do that under full auto.... even suppressed.

I very much agree with you. The good thing about guerrila warfare though is that if you win the battle you choose to take on, you gain their weapons and ammo. Snipers have it good with one shot one kill, but that's only effective at range. up close and personal, while one shot one kill is good theory, terrain and obstacles sometimes prevent that as I'm sure you are aware of. I know I've never been in the military or had any formal training, but in the woods playing bb wars I sure wish I'd had a full auto sometimes.

As far as making claymores and high explosive, those things are fairly easily made. Not to say you just throw a mixture in a pipe and stir, but a little patience and savy know-how go a long way. And i do wish i had the military training you have. I'm very sure being there, doing that is a lot more gratifying than reading about it and reading about it and day dreaming about it and reading about it... lol:runaway:

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy

You are wrong. Full auto will not make you a more effective fighter.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Who said anything about more effective fighter? I'm saying it's more effective against multiple opponents. Especially with the right training. Something you seem to think is all that matters in this world. Well I hate to say it, but if you have 10 people coming at you about to shoot or shooting, and you have little cover, a pistol or a bolt-action semi-auto doesn't give you muc of a chance does it? So actually, full-auto would make you more effective. So really I'm not wrong. I think you just have the wrong perspective on this whole thing.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Who said anything about more effective fighter? I'm saying it's more effective against multiple opponents. Especially with the right training. Something you seem to think is all that matters in this world. Well I hate to say it, but if you have 10 people coming at you about to shoot or shooting, and you have little cover, a pistol or a bolt-action semi-auto doesn't give you muc of a chance does it? So actually, full-auto would make you more effective. So really I'm not wrong. I think you just have the wrong perspective on this whole thing.

Actually, you are wrong.

Have you ever even fired a full auto rifle?

Top Bottom