• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Okay people I own this here thread! :draw::lmfao: It's not TOO off topic. Shay seems to think he's always right, so be it. I'm a little off on my explaination about why I think everyone should own a machine gun, OK. But I'm not wrong about its effectiveness. Especially after training with it. I agree if you go Rambo with the damn thing you're going to just "spray and pray". That was not my train of thought. A couple of 3 shot bursts well placed are more effective than one shot center-mass. OK? CAN WE ALL AGREE WITH THIS?:wavey: Ok. Now moving on. :runaway: Here, have a shot of some good ol Congac...:alcoholic:Aight? We good? Ok. Shay can buy the next round.

Does anyone have anything to add? No. Good. Ok. Next question. Lemme think about this one for a while so as to not get shot at next time! LOL :do2:

465guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2008
    I'm starting to think you are just a troll Savage. This thread is titled Noob questions and it is obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ok I have another question. What is a good range for pistol practice. 15, 25, 40yds? Any suggestions? I know, I should go to a basic training course. And if you would rather dog on me for not knowing, keep it to yourself. Thanks.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I like shooting at 4 yards. Primarily because there's a friendly "12" on the ceiling telling me my target is at 12' I can usually guess where 9' is and shoot dots at that range.

Either way, Silent was right a page or three ago.
    Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast. Since I'm still slapping, jerking, and or snatching the trigger. Slowing down seems to help a lot with my accuracy.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Even for accuracy? I would have thought longer ranges would be best to start and then come in close.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    quite the opposite I've found. If you can't shoot well at 10' why would going to 25' make you shoot better? ;)

and I meant to say that in a totally helpful, non-mean spirited way.

Last edited:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Sounds good to me. When we started with our 22's in Scouts we started at longer ranges first. Then came in. Made it easier to hit the long shot to us. But pistol is different so I guess I see your point.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Sounds good to me. When we started with our 22's in Scouts we started at longer ranges first. Then came in. Made it easier to hit the long shot to us. But pistol is different so I guess I see your point.

I would start someone with a rifle close as well.

It's a common mistake to make new shooters work on marksmanship at long distances. I have had great success teaching 100 yard pistol shooting by teaching marksmanship at 10 feet.

USPc40

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Madison County
    Savage, after reading thru this thread I can't help but think of a guy I worked with a few years back. He was new to running machines that myself and a few others had been running for years, so he would ask us for our advice. After recieving our advice he would always reply "are you sure about that?" Eventually he stopped getting advice and had to figure it out for himself.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Savage, after reading thru this thread I can't help but think of a guy I worked with a few years back. He was new to running machines that myself and a few others had been running for years, so he would ask us for our advice. After recieving our advice he would always reply "are you sure about that?" Eventually he stopped getting advice and had to figure it out for himself.

I'm not asking "are you sure about that" to answers of questions Im asking. I'm arguing about things that I do have some know-how with. Mostly just opinions being thrown around. I simply asked about legalities with Full-autos, not their effectivness in battle. Someone else took that way out proportion and we started arguing over something stupid. Simple as that. And besides, don't believe everything you read, right? Question authority, all that? Besides, when I'm getting an opinion from only one person and shat on by that person, it's hard not to question it, is it not?:dunno:

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I'm not asking "are you sure about that" to answers of questions Im asking. I'm arguing about things that I do have some know-how with. Mostly just opinions being thrown around. I simply asked about legalities with Full-autos, not their effectivness in battle. Someone else took that way out proportion and we started arguing over something stupid. Simple as that. And besides, don't believe everything you read, right? Question authority, all that? Besides, when I'm getting an opinion from only one person and shat on by that person, it's hard not to question it, is it not?:dunno:

I'm not ******** on you. Grow up. Seriously.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Even for accuracy? I would have thought longer ranges would be best to start and then come in close.

Starting closer is better (imho) because it helps build confidence in new shooters. At 10 or 12 feet, the radius of your splatter is tighter.... in that if you move the gun a little, the bullet holes will be closer together, but not so far off the target that you have no idea where the bullet went. So you work on your fundamentals (trigger pull, proper grip, stance, etc.) to bring that group in closer together. Then you move the target out to 21 feet, and when the groups open up again, it really hits home how much moving the gun even a fraction of an inch can distort the placement of where the bullet ends up. But, you have the confidence from hitting tight groups at a closer target, so you know you can do better, and continue to improve your fundamentals. :)

The point.. it's difficult to know whether you're pushing or pulling if you don't know where the bullet landed because your target is so far out that you missed it completely. :)

Top Bottom