• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    what are some of the better 1911's and which ones tend to be more junk? ALL OPINIONS WELCOME! AND NO DEATH THREATS! LOL

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    Some of the better...

Production: Colt, Springfield Armory, Kimber, Dan Wesson, Smith and Wesson, Para Ordnance,

Semi-Custom: Wilson, Nighthawk, Les Baer, Ed Brown, Rock River

Custom: Heirloom Precision, Heine, Harrison, Jardine, Miller, Morris...just to name a few.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    just in case this gets overlooked...

Another question I'd like to ask... I have a copy of "The Complete Guide of Autopistols". I've seen guns such as the LAR-15, CMMG, B&T TP9, etc... Has anyone had any experiances with these guns? And wouldn't it be a sight someone OC'ing one of these walking down the road?!!?! I'd like to just once to see how harassed I'd get! LOL But in all seriousness, I've never shot one and just wonder what everyone's take on these are...

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    what are some of the better 1911's and which ones tend to be more junk? ALL OPINIONS WELCOME! AND NO DEATH THREATS! LOL

I'm not qualified to answer this. However if I were to buy a 1911 pistol. It would most likely be a $350 Rock Island Armory GI model 1911.

they are every bit as sloppy as the originals. Complete with the absolute junk, but functional sights.

RIA-1_350.jpg

RIA-3_350.jpg

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    just in case this gets overlooked...

Another question I'd like to ask... I have a copy of "The Complete Guide of Autopistols". I've seen guns such as the LAR-15, CMMG, B&T TP9, etc... Has anyone had any experiances with these guns? And wouldn't it be a sight someone OC'ing one of these walking down the road?!!?! I'd like to just once to see how harassed I'd get! LOL But in all seriousness, I've never shot one and just wonder what everyone's take on these are...

I wouldn't want one. As much for the harassment factor as the inconvenience of carrying such a large weapon. If you want a rifle, carry a rifle.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    what are some of the better 1911's and which ones tend to be more junk?

Even I won't jump on that grenade :lol2:

Because my wife may read this someday I will only admit to owning a couple dozen 1911s. I've got 1911s from Colt, Safari Arms, Detonics and Para Ordnance. All are radically different. Some are stock, some are custom shop guns. But all are reliable guns, and that is what I care about most. Some are collector grade guns and have never been fired. But of those I shoot, honestly all of them run.

I did have a grip safety crack in half on one of the Para pistols. It still functioned perfectly because of the way the metal cracked, it was repaired free of charge. On that same Para pistol I had FTF and FTE problems when the frame was refinished and I was foolish enough to shoot it before the finish cured. After the finish had fully cured and hardened it returned to running 100%. My main carry Para is a Warthog, I bought it used. I've fed EVERYTHING that I could find through that gun, its never failed me and is one of my carry pistols. My other carry pistol is an almost 30 year old Detonics MK V that is MagNaPorted and has never failed in any way.

Complete with the absolute junk, but functional sights.
    And this is probably the main reason that 1911's had a reputation for being inaccurate. The original GI sights are about as useful as nipples on men.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I wouldn't want one. As much for the harassment factor as the inconvenience of carrying such a large weapon. If you want a rifle, carry a rifle.

Well I was kinda wondering if you can put a Stock on the end of it being that they have a bar there instead.

The TP9 is more of an Uzi style pistol. Pretty sweet looking.

Also, has/does anyone own(ed) one of those new Remington R-15's? If so how do they compare to, say, a Bushmaster AR-15? Just got my Remington Catalog so I figured I'd ask...

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Putting a stock on a Pistol Licensed AR like the LAR-15 is NOT legal. A handgun MAY NOT have a forward hand grip (handle ahead of the trigger), may NOT have a stock, and a few other rules/regs.

Most of the Tec-9/DC-9/AB-10/foo/bar/baz tacticool assault pistol things.... are about as accurate as my model numbers for them.

I know virtually nothing about the TP-9 other than it's been in the back of a couple magazines I've read.

as for Remington vs bushmaster etc.
    Remington, Bushmaster, DPMS and a few other companies are all owned by the same firm. CEREBUS Take from that what you want.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ok. I stopped at Kroger to get som OJ for all us sickly people in this house and checked out a couple other mags. What about the Beretta made rifles, H&K made rifles, and Barrett(sp?) made rifles?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ok, considering I will probably never own one unless it's a collectors item, another 1911 question...

What's up with the Korth brand 1911? Does anyone OWN one? I seriously doubt they've SHOT one unless they are BILL GATES... I just ask because I've never seen a handgun, or a REAL gun for that matter, worth soooo much... besides those nice Howitzers and 50cal chainguns and those guns from Futureweapons that put a smaller caliper 2000 yds dead on...

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Putting a stock on a Pistol Licensed AR like the LAR-15 is NOT legal. A handgun MAY NOT have a forward hand grip (handle ahead of the trigger), may NOT have a stock, and a few other rules/regs.

Where can I find info on this?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

All of them are capable of making fully functional weapons. All of them (including the boutiques) are capable of making lemons.

If I were hedging my bets, I would with either an STI Trojan or a Springfield TRP. I've seen comparitively few problems with those guns (or their more expensive higher end cousins) when chambered in .45ACP.

The Springfield mil-spec model also has a reputation for good reliability, and is a good base gun for customizing.

Most of the guns made in the Philippines (Armscor, Rock Island Armory, etc.) are rough in appearance, but they usually work really well. The same is true for Norincos if you can find one.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    WHile looking at some other guns, I was wondering about de-cocking... Namely with a gun like the Baby Eagle I'm currently awaiting, how do you decock the hammer without firing the weapon? It has a decocking lever, but I'm not sure off hand how it works. Also for guns without said lever, how are they decocked without firing?

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    sigP226-164.jpg

This is a Sig P226R. The Lever on the front edge of the grip, above the magazine release is the Decocking lever. If the hammer is locked back (cocked) pressing this lever downward, releases the hammer WITHOUT disengaging the fireing pin safety (read post #2).

p2000dwj4.jpg

This is an HK P2000. The button/switch on the back of the slide to the left of the hammer is the decocking lever. Press down, and the hammer drops.

On my USP, pressing the Safety switch down moves the gun from "safe" to "fire" Pressing down farther decocks the hammer, and returns the switch to "Fire" preparing the gun for a double action shot.

A lot of pistols also have a "half cocked" location. This looks de-cocked, but isn't the same as having fired, and have the gun not cycle. "Half Cocked" usually looks like 90% decocked.

As for SAO pistols. Generally speaking, they shouldn't be decocked.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    WHile looking at some other guns, I was wondering about de-cocking... Namely with a gun like the Baby Eagle I'm currently awaiting, how do you decock the hammer without firing the weapon? It has a decocking lever, but I'm not sure off hand how it works. Also for guns without said lever, how are they decocked without firing?

IF you are asking about how to de-cock a 1911, the answer is very carefully. Hold the hammer, pull the trigger and slowly ease the hammer down. Most people simply don't. Or when they do they do it on an empty chamber. With my carry gun, it gets put away cocked & locked, each night. I pick it up in the morning and it is ready to go. If I have to get to it at night, it is ready to go. If I put it away for storage, say to switch guns, or for some other reason where I won't be planning on shooting or carrying it, I drop the magazine, flip off the thumb safety, rack the slide to remove the round from the chamber and then drop the hammer on the empty chamber.

As for SAO pistols. Generally speaking, they shouldn't be decocked.
    BING BING BING we have the right answer! The gun was designed to be cocked & locked. I know of no occasion where a 1911 decided to shoot all by itself. Its system is a SA operating system. It must be manually cocked. Therefore it is reasonable to manually de-cock it. How do you de-cock a Glock? Or as S&W M&P? Or a Kahr? Or an XP? You don't de-cock those either do you?

On the Sig in the prior photo, or any DA/SA type gun, there is a logic for having a de-cocking lever and that is based on the fact that the gun can be put back into the ready position by manipulating the heavy trigger. No such capability is built into the SA 1911, consequently there is no need to de-cock it when it is 'in use.' The SA and the striker fired guns simply don't need a de-cocking device because of their operating modes. The SA/Da guns are the guns that need de-cockers.

By the way, the very same de-cocking method is used on most modern DA revolvers. You pull the trigger while holding the hammer and you slowly drop the hammer. If you are smart, you open the cylinder first!

Last edited:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Sounds good to me. We're all just going to have to get together sometime. Then you guys can really explain all this to me and my girl. And beings that I have no gun yet, maybe she could finally get to shoot something. I only have one set of ear muffs right now and no eye-wear besides my own glasses! LOL I do have ear plugs though. Can't do anything next weekend because besides our garage sale, I'm going to the 1500 with my son. But we can work something out I'm sure.

BTW, after reading what happened to the guy in PA on that PA forum, I believe I will OC alot and try to start having or joining some OC dinners. That is unless there's some law that I don't know about that says you can't OC in a restraunt....

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I have read about the legalities of a foregrip on a handgun, but I have not read about a stock on a handgun. I have seen carbine conversion kits for Glocks that all you have to do is attach your lower receiver to a carbine upper. Is this illegal? I have also seen stocks for Glocks that attach into the rear hole behind the magazine. :dunno:

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I have read about the legalities of a foregrip on a handgun, but I have not read about a stock on a handgun. I have seen carbine conversion kits for Glocks that all you have to do is attach your lower receiver to a carbine upper. Is this illegal? I have also seen stocks for Glocks that attach into the rear hole behind the magazine. :dunno:

unless I read things wrong, (always possible) This likely requires a Type-III stamp to actually assemble it. It's likely legal to possess the parts, but assembly I think constitutes a problem.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    unless I read things wrong, (always possible) This likely requires a Type-III stamp to actually assemble it. It's likely legal to possess the parts, but assembly I think constitutes a problem.
    I'll look into it some more, but I didn't see any kind of 'NFA Rules Apply' on any of the carbine or stock parts that I have seen. Where did you read your information?

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy

You can convert a pistol into a carbine but you cannot simply add a stock to a pistol without it being a short barreled rifle.

Those carbine conversion kits (Glock or 1911) have a barrel that is 16" or greater that must be installed first on the pistol in order to remain legal. Once the carbine length barrel is in place you can install a buttstock.

Adding a foregrip to a pistol makes it an AOW.

Top Bottom