• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I would like info on the mini Appleseed coming up...I picked up a 10/22 today and hope to get to the range with it soon. I don't have either of my rifles set up for an Appleseed yet but hope to by the end of May....

Appleseed is about being able to pick up any rifle that works and any serviceable ammo and hit what you're aiming to shoot at up to about 500 yards. Bring your rifles. If you have a sling on them, great. If not, you can get slings cheaply. We recommend a USGI web sling, and you'd be amazed how well duct tape will hold one on temporarily. As was said today, Appleseed is not an equipment race. We're training you, not your equipment.

In re: the minis: Information is throughout this thread. The "minis" are an extra step you can choose to take to help you along as your skill progresses to Rifleman-a score of 210 or better of a possible 250. Usafe7ret hosts them at his range at Cloverdale, with the safety briefing starting at 0915. No triggers are pulled there before 1000 hrs. Range fee is $10 which is exceptionally reasonable, and this is a good way to learn the particulars of what to be practicing (because, old saying notwithstanding, it is only perfect practice which makes perfect.), to reinforce what you've learned at a full Appleseed shoot, or to give you an opportunity to meet with one of the instructors who can verify your Rifleman score and deliver to you your patch. This latter can be done outside of an Appleseed event as well, but coming to a range with a group of people all focused on the same goal is a feeling surpassed by few things other than a full Appleseed weekend.

That's the part of these events (minis and full Appleseeds) that you, the shooter, does. You come in to learn about shooting and you leave with not only an understanding of what's important but why it is important and what you can do to make a difference-the Seventh Step.

Come shoot, we'd love to see you there.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Glad all you guys had a good time, I have a new job, and they asked me to work a double training shift today (last night they asked). Oh well, later I guess, but my LTR is sad now.

Congrats on the new job! Take your LTR out to shoot tomorrow so it won't be sad anymore, then come shoot with us on the 18th-19th!

Blessings,
    Bill

Chefcook

Shooter
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Appleseed is about being able to pick up any rifle that works and any serviceable ammo and hit what you're aiming to shoot at up to about 500 yards. Bring your rifles. If you have a sling on them, great. If not, you can get slings cheaply. We recommend a USGI web sling, and you'd be amazed how well duct tape will hold one on temporarily. As was said today, Appleseed is not an equipment race. We're training you, not your equipment.

In re: the minis: Information is throughout this thread. The "minis" are an extra step you can choose to take to help you along as your skill progresses to Rifleman-a score of 210 or better of a possible 250. Usafe7ret hosts them at his range at Cloverdale, with the safety briefing starting at 0915. No triggers are pulled there before 1000 hrs. Range fee is $10 which is exceptionally reasonable, and this is a good way to learn the particulars of what to be practicing (because, old saying notwithstanding, it is only perfect practice which makes perfect.), to reinforce what you've learned at a full Appleseed shoot, or to give you an opportunity to meet with one of the instructors who can verify your Rifleman score and deliver to you your patch. This latter can be done outside of an Appleseed event as well, but coming to a range with a group of people all focused on the same goal is a feeling surpassed by few things other than a full Appleseed weekend.

That's the part of these events (minis and full Appleseeds) that you, the shooter, does. You come in to learn about shooting and you leave with not only an understanding of what's important but why it is important and what you can do to make a difference-the Seventh Step.

Come shoot, we'd love to see you there.

Blessings,
    Bill

As in not set up the sling is what I am referring too. I am having the free float drilled and tapped on my K-16 to accommodate a sling and possibly changing the stock on my 10/22...

The only other obstacle is ammo. I am not in a position where I can just run out and buy a case of .223 I have to build it up a little at a time. I usually buy 100 rounds at a time about once a week or so as I can afford it. I also still have not even fired the second AR that I just got done building, sighting it in will also set me back a hair on ammo.

I was hoping to make the Appleseed in Cloverdale in April but I have since seen its already sold out, and I am not sure if I could have reached the ammo requirements by then anyway. The requirements read as 1000-1500 rnds. rimfire and 500-1000 rnds centerfire ammo. At the moment I am only sitting on about 350 rounds of .223 and have plans to shoot this coming week so this weeks addition of 100 rnds will be used more than likely.

Also my rifle only achieves adequate groupings with 62gn or heavier bullets so I sometimes have to look a little harder and pay a little more for my ammo. I do believe that I will be able to have everything together by the May 30th mini Appleseed. I was hoping for more info on that...

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    I was hoping to make the Appleseed in Cloverdale in April but I have since seen its already sold out, and I am not sure if I could have reached the ammo requirements by then anyway. The requirements read as 1000-1500 rnds. rimfire and 500-1000 rnds centerfire ammo.

Those are the requirements for a week long bootcamp. The weekend requires 400-500 rounds total.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Thanks, good to know I thought the 400-500 was for the mini and the other was for the weekend...

I didn't shoot every time yesterday, but I think I went through less than 100 rds of .22LR. ( I had 120 or so here, but then I remembered I'd loaded a couple of mags that were not before I went.) I understand about buying .223; that's why most people doing AS now bring a .22 instead of a battle rifle. We'll also show you how to sight in with five shots or fewer. Further, the skills you learn translate well from one to another rifle. Let us know how we can help you.

Blessings,
    Bill

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Chefcook,

And some ranges only allow .22 rimfire and Cloverdale is one of those ranges.

Now the really good news, DaveD proofed out a new line arrangement yesterday so we will be addding capacity to Cloverdale.

Other double plus good news the landowner at Lafayette has also increased capacity and we will be adding slots there as well.

That is all,
    Hawkhavn

unforgiven1203

Marksman
    Jun 8, 2008
    Dayton OH
    when I attended my first appleseed (riley in august) I couldn't decide weather to buy a 10/22 and tech sights or pay for the .223 for the m4gery, I chose the .223. I would have fared better with the 10/22 (the longer sight radius makes it easier to shoot accurately). eventually I plan to score 210 or better with M4gery and my M1 garand but for someone new to the program I'd definately recomend a 10/22 or something similar. YMMV

csaws

Master
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Nah I have all kinds of vacation days. I was gonna do the April one, however it interferes with the best two and a half weeks of spring.

Turkey season, in nearby Cory, IN

thompal

Master
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    My 10/22 is all set now I just finished it yesterday. I am going to the range to sight it in this afternoon. I am G2G...

How feasable is using a .22lr at an Appleseed? I had gotten the impression it was a 200+ yard centerfire/iron sight event. Am I mistaken?

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    How feasable is using a .22lr at an Appleseed? I had gotten the impression it was a 200+ yard centerfire/iron sight event. Am I mistaken?

Yep, you're mistaken. All Appleseed shooting happens at 25 yards. They use smaller targets (down to 1-inch by 1-inch squares) to simulate shooting at man-sized targets out to 400 yards. The majority of Appleseeders now use .22lr rather than centerfire because of the soaring cost of ammo. Grab your 10/22 and get out there! :D It's cheap, it's good, and it's fun!

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle

With our teaching of early American history we offer a BASIC rifle marksmanship course. Most of our shooting is done at 25m (82') and 22's are cheap to operate being all you need for 25m.
    If we are at a range which has longer distances available we may on Sundays move the centerfire shooters over so they can confirm that the skills used at 25m work at 100 - 500 yds.

Because this is a basic course we would like to see iron sights, HOWEVER...... bring what you can work with and we will teach you to use it effectively. If you need optics, fine.

Come on out to one of our weekend shoots or even a Mini to dispel all rumors. I think you will enjoy it.

Had a great shoot today with 13 shooters on the line. I think they all had fun, I know we four instructors did with instructing and even getting a little trigger time in ourselves.

Top Bottom