• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    And you as well! You, Rhino, his sister and twin nephews make five of the seven registered... Who else will be joining us?

Not sure, but there is also one other. I am not one of the registered as I will be there wearing an orange cap and not shooting. I am not sure how many minis have had two orange caps and the state coordinator all on the line, but this one is gonna be fully staffed to say the least.

So, yeah, it is gonna be a ball and given the length of the day - it is gonna be alot like a full Saturday of an Applseed. It will be a bit shorter, a bit colder, and have a high instructor to student ratio. Add to that a very high INGO presence and our little "Valley Forge in Cloverdale" is gonna be something to behold.

Anyone else holding off on this, just sign up and come. Yeah it will be nippy, but it will also be loud and moving. Take the opportunity while you can!

unforgiven1203

Marksman
    Jun 8, 2008
    Dayton OH
    unforgiven1203
    Plinker​

reputation_green.gif

this time my father and nephew will be coming with me, they both have 10/22's but we may be short on magazines. so if anyone coming has any spares, we would really appreciate it. see you all on saturday

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    this time my father and nephew will be coming with me, they both have 10/22's but we may be short on magazines. so if anyone coming has any spares, we would really appreciate it. see you all on saturday

Let me see what I can come up with tomorrow. Keep in mind that you only will need two mags per rifle to make it through the day (providing no failures).

Does anyone need a web sling or .22lr ammo? Say so now and we can get going on it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I could use a sling. Not sure how I'm going to attach it, though. It's a little late to worry over installing swivels on my CZ. I could use my 10/22, but the sling attachment points may not work well for the kind of sling use you guys want us to do.

We'll work it out.

And if it's sloppy outside, I'll be without my "plus 3," as there is no way they're going to do this in bad weather. I'm like Burl ... if it's safe to get there, I'll be there.

Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Rhino, I can send a sling with Burl or Techres. Not sure how to help you with swivels, but the guys are pretty creative with duct tape and 550 cord. I am sure they can create some way to secure the front end of the sling. You might consider installing at least the front swivel before this weekend, its pretty important to doing things their way.

Good luck.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'll try to get some swivels when I go searching for some CCI minimags tomorrow to use in the borrowed rifles. Hopefully they'll have something at Big R.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    I have two extra slings and some extra mags as well. As for my two loaners, Rhino, they seem to eat anything. I will bring a fun pack of stuff & ammo in case we have issues.

See you all on Sat!

unforgiven1203

Marksman
    Jun 8, 2008
    Dayton OH
    What a day at the range! dad, dereck and I just got back to my house a short while ago.At first I thought that we could tough it out and get some more shooting in but I gotta admit that once the wetness soaked thru my clothes I got cold really quick. thanks USAFE7RET, tech rs and hawkhavn for facilitating the training. we'll see ya on march 28th!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm glad I switched to my raincoat, and I was fine, but my nephews and sister would have been miserable had we continued.

Dude ... you guys should have gone to the chinese buffet with us in Greencastle! We had fun listening to techres.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    What a day at the range! dad, dereck and I just got back to my house a short while ago.At first I thought that we could tough it out and get some more shooting in but I gotta admit that once the wetness soaked thru my clothes I got cold really quick. thanks USAFE7RET, tech rs and hawkhavn for facilitating the training. we'll see ya on march 28th!

We were fine in the cold. The rain was unpleasant but not so bad. We grounded the rifles many more times than we shot them so we could chase down and remount blown & soaked targets. Then the rain turned to sleet which was not so good. I had my doubts when I found my orange hat frozen to a wood bench - solid. Then the snow came in - sideways. That's what really sealed the deal as the snow packed in and occluded the barrels of the 10/22's and we could not clear them with bore snakes faster than the snow could occlude them again!

We did what we could to wait it out with training in the warm shelter - thanks to USA7Ret on that! But the weather would not calm down and the once we could no longer see the tarp, mats, or even the rifles in the pile of snow we were pretty much done.

The funny thing is when we cleaned up and headed for some lunch the weather cleared. And for a moment we half considered running back over, but as soon as we stepped out into the lot, it went bad again. Guess God just didn't want us out there today.

My strong congrats to a bunch who hammered through and persevered through the worst weather I have ever tried to shoot in. You guys, and gal, were great and if we could have continued safely I know you would have tried. But as always, safety comes before all else. Safety for the rifles and safety for the shooters.

And as we said out on the range, each and every one of you has a rain check for the next mini. Let us know you're coming and there is a paid spot waiting for you!

As a side note, I took a few pictures with my phone before it's batteries died. Guess what? Now the bluetooth module is not working. I will have to get the pictures off another way. So lesson learned. Phones are not immune to freezing rain after all.

Thanks again, I am looking forward to doing it again but for the full day next time!

techres

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    My thanks to all of you who braved the weather to join us today. Enjoyed meeting everyone! My .....didn't we have fun! Next time around - with good weather - the shoots on me!

Dave

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    USAFE7Ret,

Great planning with the shelter, the stove for hot water, the heater... heck, all of it! You going out and going the extra (ten) mile(s) to put on these minis is greatly appreciated.

Techres,

Great job on the story and the demonstrations. Despite the absolutely nasty weather, you guys put on a good shoot, for what shooting we got done.

Hawkhavn,

Why do these guys still have orange, rather than red hats?

Rhino,

D&MN but we think a lot alike, don't we? I don't know who that should scare more, though, you, or everyone else!

Unforgiven,
    I don't think you need to worry about reinforcing your Rifleman score. Based on that redcoat you shot, I think you've got it.

Bwframe,
    Barring a good excuse, what I have to say can best be depicted pictorially:
    ManCardRevoked.jpg

;) :D :lmfao:

So where were ya?

Blessings,
    Bill

rhino

Grandmaster
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks again to the guys who made it possible for us to try today! Your job was made a lot harder by the weather!

I'll try again as soon as my schedule allows. I can't make the 28th of March because of the USPSA Indiana Single Stack & Production Pistol Match.

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    All,

First let me echo Techres' and USAFE7RET's thanks for coming out on a guaranteed nasty day. It would have been much easier to stay 'on the couch' but as you may have heard today Appleseeders tend not to spend much time on one.

It will be a pleasure seeing you at a future mini or better yet a full blown Appleseed.

Special thanks to USAFE7RET for all of the pre-planning work that went to keep us warm and dry(ish)!

Unforgiven, I took a look at that Redcoat target and knew you were either: a) a professional instructor or b) had been to another Appleseed and mastered the 6 steps. BTW, when are you putting on the orange hat??? Meant to ask but you got away a little too quick.

BoR, It won't be long, of that I am sure...

Hawkhavn

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Bwframe,
    Barring a good excuse, what I have to say can best be depicted pictorially:
    ManCardRevoked.jpg

;) :D :lmfao:

So where were ya?

Blessings,
    Bill
    Sorry Bill, I'll work hard to get that man card back. I try not to leave the compound if it appears I won't be able to get back.

Good job to those of you who fought mother nature and prevailed.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Sorry Bill, I'll work hard to get that man card back. I try not to leave the compound if it appears I won't be able to get back.

Good job to those of you who fought mother nature and prevailed.

Sounds like you already did, Burl. Staying home to be there for your family is pretty important. You set your priorities and they came first. I can't fault that. We'll see you next time around. :thumbsup:

Blessings,
    Bill

rhino

Grandmaster
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I won't be able to have any say in whether Burl regains his Man Card since I never had one myself. so I'm not allowed a vote. :D

unforgiven1203

Marksman
    Jun 8, 2008
    Dayton OH
    thanks for the encouragement and compliments on my shooting, my level of improvement is a testament to this program and the quality of instruction I've recieved. I think that for now I'll keep "shooting and recruiting" and at some future date I may take you guys up on the IIT offer. the offer is very flattering by the way. thanks again, Darwyn

Top Bottom