Merry Christmas! You killed your step-daughter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    So what I take from several posts is:

- If your step-kid behaves poorly by staying out all night, the proper punishment is the death penalty.

- If you take the time to identify your target, your wife and daughters will be raped.

- If you can justify a shot, take it regardless of the absence of actual threat.

Is that what you actually take or rather is that what you want to read into it? I don't recall anyone saying any of those things, but hey whatever floats your boat.

If you go back and bother to read what was actually written, you might find it to be more along the lines of:

-it is a poor choice to sneak out of an armed combat vet's house because you are going to have to break back in. This may be hazardous to your health.

-people breaking into your house at night generally mean to do bad things.

-bad stuff happens when good folks get woken up at night by someone climbing in the window. Innocent people can get hurt and it sucks, but the blame for these bad things generally rests primarily on the person breaking in.

Then again, don't let me get in the way of you and your real or pretend outrages. You made it clear from your first post that you had already prejudged this based upon virtually no facts in evidence.

Joe

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Is this sarcasm?

He's not saying that those are his own conclusions but what he seems to feel others in this thread have to say.

Maybe he should go by what they actually said instead of by his "feelings" on what he thinks they said. I personally don't like words being put in my mouth, particularly when they just happen to be beautiful straw men.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Maybe he should go by what they actually said instead of by his "feelings" on what he thinks they said. I personally don't like words being put in my mouth, particularly when they just happen to be beautiful straw men.
    Relax and take a step back - at no point did he say you said exactly that. He did say that is how he understood what was said. If he misunderstood - don't get your panties in a bunch - correct him/set him straight.

There's two ways to handle being misunderstood:
    1. Get upset/pissed/angry/defensive.
    2. Simply clarify/elaborate and help the other party to understand if they're willing.

You said it - others will have to interpret it. We're not all the same - we don't see the world the same and we do not have the same experiences - others will certainly have different perspectives and will likely interpret what was said differently especially if the message is vague/ambiguous/unclear.

I myself did understand a few posts as saying that some stepkids deserve to be shot just for the sake that they're stepkids. Now I also am fairly certain that isn't exactly what was meant but it is what was in the post without 'reading between the lines' [i.e. speculating as to what was actually intended.]

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Relax and take a step back - at no point did he say you said exactly that. He did say that is how he understood what was said. If he misunderstood - don't get your panties in a bunch - correct him/set him straight.

There's two ways to handle being misunderstood:
    1. Get upset/pissed/angry/defensive.
    2. Simply clarify/elaborate and help the other party to understand if they're willing.

You said it - others will have to interpret it. We're not all the same - we don't see the world the same and we do not have the same experiences - others will certainly have different perspectives and will likely interpret what was said differently especially if the message is vague/ambiguous/unclear.

I myself did understand a few posts as saying that some stepkids deserve to be shot just for the sake that they're stepkids. Now I also am fairly certain that isn't exactly what was meant but it is what was in the post without 'reading between the lines' [i.e. speculating as to what was actually intended.]

I hold attorneys to a higher standard of reading comprehension than that. You cannot read what I wrote about home invasion rape to be anything like his "feelings" on what I meant.

If he has a problem with what I wrote, he can call me on the words I actually wrote, not what he "feels" I meant.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I hold attorneys to a higher standard of reading comprehension than that. You cannot read what I wrote about home invasion rape to be anything like his "feelings" on what I meant.
    Being an attorney means he's not human and/or imperfect like everybody else?

If we were talking about trying a case in a court of law - sure - hold them to a higher standard but at the end of the day an attorney is still a person with feelings, emotions, and their own perspective.

If he has a problem with what I wrote, he can call me on the words I actually wrote, not what he "feels" I meant.
    Or you can quit being so touchy and emotional and realize that not everybody sees the world the same way you do. If you go through life taking everything personally you're going to have a pretty miserable life.

All of that said - I've said my piece on the subject. Have a wonderful evening and a happy new year.

BACKLASH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    ECI
    The facts will all come to light and reveal the truth. As for now, prayers for the family such a sad endding to a young life and a horrible tragedy on such a joyous holiday.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    So what I take from several posts is:

- If your step-kid behaves poorly by staying out all night, the proper punishment is the death penalty.
    Misinterpret much? People have simply stated that they can understand why it happened... no reason to take it completely out of context.
    - If you take the time to identify your target, your wife and daughters will be raped.
    This is actually quite possible depending on the situation. If you take 1 second too long to identify your target and see if they mean you harm you and your family can all be killed.
    - If you can justify a shot, take it regardless of the absence of actual threat.
    Generally, if someone is breaking into your home, it's taken as a threat. I don't know how many times your home has been broken into while you were there (I'm guessing 0 based on your statements) but if someone is crawling in through your window do you really think it's a friend just coming in to say hello? Do you always have your family and friends come in through the window? I know at my house people knock on the door but I guess some people do it differently.

I get the whole "actual threat" thing. I really do, but how many cases have we seen of police shooting someone with a gun before being shot at? Do you truly believe that even they should only be allowed to return fire? Even though it could cost them their life? I don't. I believe (like most people here) that if there is a strong possibility that your life and/or your family is in danger that you should take action immediately. If you simply take out the fact that the intruder was his step daughter, did the guy do anything wrong? No. It would have clearly been self defense and this thread title would be another one like, "Another home invader killed by homeowner" and everyone would praise the guy.

As if he's not feeling guilty enough you've started a thread to simply bash him for defending his family... his life will never be the same. I'm sure the legal side of all this is the least of his worries right now. I don't condone his actions nor do I condemn them, I think the people who are disagreeing with you are simply stating that they can see why he shot her. It wasn't because of who she was. It was because he thought that not only was his life in danger from a would be home invader, but hers as well...

Last edited:

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    If you simply take out the fact that the intruder was his step daughter, did the guy do anything wrong?

The point is that you CAN'T take out the fact that it was his step daughter. He didn't identify his target. Period.

Unless he meant to kill his kid (which some here seem to suggest) in which case he did an absolutely great job of shooting his "threat".

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I am passing no judgment here, I want to say this up front. I do hope that the people who are standing strong on the notion that there is not enough info available yet to make a solid judgment and giving the shooter the benefit of the doubt will extend the same courtesy to us LEO's involved in split second use of force decisions instead of the dogpile that generally ensues here. The shoot MIGHT be "right", but at the end of the day he will be wrong as he will have to live with the fact that he killed is step-daughter. Being right does not always mean you DID the right thing. There is a lot of internet bravado going on here. I would guess by the responses that there are quite a few who will have no problem firing in the dark and then hope for the best. Again, I have no idea if hat is what happened in the original incident and I am not saying that it did. But let us use this for training purposes. As a guy who had pulled his gun out on people 100's of times and been involved in at least 1 police action shooting death, be sure of your target, you cannot take your bullets back if you are wrong and living with the mistake can easily be worse than the hesitation in firing. If you enter my house, you will get a gun pointed at you. Based on the response of the suspect, I will either be detaining them OR shooting at them, their choice. My sole purpose will be to stop the action of entering my house, that does not always mean shooting.

Top Bottom