Merry Christmas! You killed your step-daughter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I am passing no judgment here, I want to say this up front. I do hope that the people who are standing strong on the notion that there is not enough info available yet to make a solid judgment and giving the shooter the benefit of the doubt will extend the same courtesy to us LEO's involved in split second use of force decisions instead of the dogpile that generally ensues here. The shoot MIGHT be "right", but at the end of the day he will be wrong as he will have to live with the fact that he killed is step-daughter. Being right does not always mean you DID the right thing. There is a lot of internet bravado going on here. I would guess by the responses that there are quite a few who will have no problem firing in the dark and then hope for the best. Again, I have no idea if hat is what happened in the original incident and I am not saying that it did. But let us use this for training purposes. As a guy who had pulled his gun out on people 100's of times and been involved in at least 1 police action shooting death, be sure of your target, you cannot take your bullets back if you are wrong and living with the mistake can easily be worse than the hesitation in firing. If you enter my house, you will get a gun pointed at you. Based on the response of the suspect, I will either be detaining them OR shooting at them, their choice. My sole purpose will be to stop the action of entering my house, that does not always mean shooting.
    :+1:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I am passing no judgment here, I want to say this up front. I do hope that the people who are standing strong on the notion that there is not enough info available yet to make a solid judgment and giving the shooter the benefit of the doubt will extend the same courtesy to us LEO's involved in split second use of force decisions instead of the dogpile that generally ensues here.

Pffft, you know that's not going to happen. INGO, or at least those who are vocal, tend to believe the guy with a gun is always the good guy, unless he also has a badge.

I'd have gotten a lot more time off if I'd have shot everyone I could legally justify shooting when I was on the street.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    A friend of mine worked nights, lived alone and tended to sleep late into the day. One day he was awakened by a sound in his apartment, grabbed his handgun and went to investigate. He stopped at the corner, waited and listened. The intruder walked past the corner and my friend placed the muzzle of a very large revolver against the intruder's head.

At this point the intruder said "Don't shoot! I'm the bug man!". Apparently, the apartment complex had given him keys and he was going to apartments during the day (while no one was home) to spray for bugs. Fortunately, my friend didn't automatically shoot the "intruder" who was actually just some guy doing his job. However, he did have a few words with the apartment complex manager concerning advance notice of entry.

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Pffft, you know that's not going to happen. INGO, or at least those who are vocal, tend to believe the guy with a gun is always the good guy, unless he also has a badge.

I'd have gotten a lot more time off if I'd have shot everyone I could legally justify shooting when I was on the street.

That's one thing I find curious about this thread. From the outset, with only the barest of information, there has been a bit of a dogpile on this guy with speculation that he intentionally murdered her and claims that he belongs in prison.

Not possessing the clairvoyant powers of others, I don't claim to know what happened, just that it is possible that this guy is largely another victim of the 14 yr old's terrible choices. As such, I reserve judgement.

I'm not entirely certain why, but for whatever reason, this guy seems to get the police/FEMA/ATF/Obama/ level of benefit of the doubt despite there being only the barest of info available.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Copy:

I myself did understand a few posts as saying that some stepkids deserve to be shot just for the sake that they're stepkids.

You didn't understand (for whatever reason).
    I never said they should be shot for being stepkids, said that it might be better (for society) if some stepkids were popped.
    Same can be said for non step kids.

BTW, Treyvon's parents weren't married............. ;)

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It makes no more sense to assume that the shooting MUST HAVE BEEN justified than to assume he intentionally murdered her. Some people here have a knee-jerk reaction that a civilian shooter must always be right, or at least we have to find every possible reason to try to find some way to justify his actions.

Bottom line. He killed his step-daughter. Whether he was legally justified or not, she's dead and it did not have to happen. Accidents happen. Errors in judgment happen and we should not be sent to jail in all such circumstances, but having been spared jail, there are still consequences.

If taking a life means so little that you will shoot first and hope for the best, good luck, I hope it goes well for you. Do I risk something by having a higher standard? Absolutely, but I am satisfied with the balance I've struck.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I'm 500 miles out of the county, knock yourself out. :D

Ouch... that hurt....
    5e659fd163ee45945179b01992f9dd76.jpg

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Is that what you actually take or rather is that what you want to read into it? I don't recall anyone saying any of those things, but hey whatever floats your boat.

If you go back and bother to read what was actually written, you might find it to be more along the lines of:

-it is a poor choice to sneak out of an armed combat vet's house because you are going to have to break back in. This may be hazardous to your health.

-people breaking into your house at night generally mean to do bad things.

-bad stuff happens when good folks get woken up at night by someone climbing in the window. Innocent people can get hurt and it sucks, but the blame for these bad things generally rests primarily on the person breaking in.

Then again, don't let me get in the way of you and your real or pretend outrages. You made it clear from your first post that you had already prejudged this based upon virtually no facts in evidence.

Joe
    This, this,and this!

Top Bottom