Merry Christmas! You killed your step-daughter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Who said she was coming in through the window? I heard on the internet that she had threatened to tell mom about his sexual advances. :dunno: Story is full of holes. Merry Christmas.

So "I heard on the internet" is the standard you use to send people to prison, a la your earlier post?

I dunno what happened so I'm not gonna say what should happen. I am fascinated by those with the great INGO balls-o-clairvoyance...

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    So "I heard on the internet" is the standard you use to send people to prison, a la your earlier post?

I dunno what happened so I'm not gonna say what should happen. I am fascinated by those with the great INGO balls-o-clairvoyance...

You didn't buy yours when the INGO Store was open! Shame, shame. :dunno:

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Some people can tell a joke. Some people can't.

Death of a kid in these circumstances is not something to joke about.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Sounds to me like he did ID his target, it was the person breaking into his home through a window... I would wager there is a reason no arrest has been made, and I would wager it is because the cops and DA are thinking he can meet the preponderance standard in the statute.

I think you are right with respect to the preponderance/reasonable person standard, and I wouldn't bet against you on that.

However, that standard is not really in line with I've understood rule 4 to be. This expresses it better than I can:

"Know what it is, what is in line with it, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything you have not positively identified . . ." Got it from here: safetyrules

I remember a pic from an NRA book on gun safety/home defense from a course I took some years ago. It showed a silhouette of man coming up the stairs with an arm upraised with what looked like a club in his hand. Looked threatening enough, but lo and behold it was "dad" smiling with a newspaper in his hand.

I agree that it would be reasonable for a person under the circumstances to presume that an unknown person coming in through a basement window at 6:00 am intends to do harm to person or property. As it's impossible to know what someone is thinking, the law allows us to draw reasonable inferences as to their intent from the circumstances. I'm all for that, as the legal standard.

I agree that juveniles living in a house with guns kept for home defense should be made to understand that creeping into their house through a basement window might have some pretty dire consequences. However, I also believe that an adult living in a house with kids should also know that sometimes 14 year olds don't do what they are told, because they are 14 years old, and sometimes make stupid decisions. So identify your target before you shoot it.

Could I see myself in the step dad's shoes, screwing up like he did? You bet I can. But as between a 14 year old girl doing something stupid and a 29 year old adult, the screw up that got someone killed is mostly on him (or would be on me, if I were in his shoes).

My knickers really got twisted in a knot over this, I guess. Sorry about the cursing.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    This from an instructor?!!! Turn in your clipboard and whistle, buddy.

Some people can tell a joke. Some people can't.

Death of a kid in these circumstances is not something to joke about.

I think you are right with respect to the preponderance/reasonable person standard, and I wouldn't bet against you on that.

However, that standard is not really in line with I've understood rule 4 to be. This expresses it better than I can:

"Know what it is, what is in line with it, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything you have not positively identified . . ." Got it from here: safetyrules

I remember a pic from an NRA book on gun safety/home defense from a course I took some years ago. It showed a silhouette of man coming up the stairs with an arm upraised with what looked like a club in his hand. Looked threatening enough, but lo and behold it was "dad" smiling with a newspaper in his hand.

I agree that it would be reasonable for a person under the circumstances to presume that an unknown person coming in through a basement window at 6:00 am intends to do harm to person or property. As it's impossible to know what someone is thinking, the law allows us to draw reasonable inferences as to their intent from the circumstances. I'm all for that, as the legal standard.

I agree that juveniles living in a house with guns kept for home defense should be made to understand that creeping into their house through a basement window might have some pretty dire consequences. However, I also believe that an adult living in a house with kids should also know that sometimes 14 year olds don't do what they are told, because they are 14 years old, and sometimes make stupid decisions. So identify your target before you shoot it.

Could I see myself in the step dad's shoes, screwing up like he did? You bet I can. But as between a 14 year old girl doing something stupid and a 29 year old adult, the screw up that got someone killed is mostly on him (or would be on me, if I were in his shoes).

My knickers really got twisted in a knot over this, I guess. Sorry about the cursing.

With the mindset you see in the posts here, I am surprised it hasn't happened more. Sound shoots are cool, no need to identify the target.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    So now you have to positively ID them and know their intent? I guess there is no point in having a gun on the nightstand. Safer to lock it up so the BG can't steal it after he kills you.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    So now you have to positively ID them and know their intent? I guess there is no point in having a gun on the nightstand. Safer to lock it up so the BG can't steal it after he kills you.

ID'ing friend or foe? Ahhh…….yeah. That's a real good idea unless you want to play drop the soap in greybar.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    No one says he has to be arrested today for a murder/manslaughter charge to be filed. Lots of time to investigate the motive.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    When they sign the affadavit that they mean to do you bodily harm, is a witness or notary required?

They? How much bodily harm do you suspect the 14 year old resident of the house was going to employ?

But, he was an officer. I wouldn't expect him to have any common sense.

Top Bottom