Merry Christmas! You killed your step-daughter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    And you make this finding of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt based exactly upon what? Hell, the cops haven't even seen fit to make an arrest and you are already at sentencing?

Colorado Law: law permits homeowners to fire at intruders only if they are certain the intruder will commit a crime other than trespassing. They are permitted to fire if the intruder plans to use physical force, no matter how slight.

No, Colorado does not have a “Stand Your Ground” law. We have a “Make My Day” law.

http://legisource.net/2013/10/03/does-colorado-have-a-stand-your-ground-law-2/

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Colorado Law: law permits homeowners to fire at intruders only if they are certain the intruder will commit a crime other than trespassing. They are permitted to fire if the intruder plans to use physical force, no matter how slight.

No, Colorado does not have a “Stand Your Ground” law. We have a “Make My Day” law.

Does Colorado Have a ?Stand Your Ground? Law? | Colorado LegiSource

I think you are mixing up "Stand your ground" and "Castle doctine".

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

Does Colorado Have a ?Stand Your Ground? Law? | Colorado LegiSource

Somebody coming through a basement window is more than trespassing, it is called breaking and entering.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    A few secs of Google yielded this from the Colorado statutes:

• 18-1-705. Use of physical force in defense of premises.

• A person in possession or control of any building, realty, or other premises, or a
      person who is licensed or privileged to be thereon, is justified in using reasonable and
      appropriate physical force upon another person when and to the extent that it is
      reasonably necessary to prevent or terminate what he reasonably believes to be the
      commission or attempted commission of an unlawful trespass by the other person in
      or upon the building, realty, or premises. However, he may use deadly force only in
      defense of himself or another as described in section 18-1-704, or when he
      reasonably believes it necessary to prevent what he reasonably believes to be an
      attempt by the trespasser to commit first degree arson.

18-1-704.5 Use Of Deadly Physical Force Against An Intruder ("Make My Day Law")

1. The general assembly hereby recognizes that the citizens of Colorado have a right to expect absolute

safety within their own homes.
    2. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 18-1-704, any occupant of a dwelling is justified in using any degree of physical force, including deadly physical force, against another person when that other person has made an unlawful entry into the dwelling, and when the occupant has a reasonable belief that such other person has committed a crime in the dwelling in addition to the uninvited entry, or is committing or intends to commit a crime against a person or property in addition to the uninvited entry, and when the occupant reasonably believes that such other person might use any physical force, no matter how slight, against any occupant.

3. Any occupant of a dwelling using physical force, including deadly physical force, in accordance with the provisions or subsection (2) of this section shall be immune from criminal

prosecution for the use of such force.

4. Any occupant of a dwelling using physical force, including deadly physical force, in accordance with the provisions of subsection (2) of this section shall be immune from any civil liability for injuries or death resulting from the use of such force

And you have to read 18-1-704 as well... that's a lot of thinkin' to do before flipping the bang switch...

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    My Google brought me to this note on a case law regarding that Co. Statute (18-1-704.5), and I think it explains the statute well:

"To be immune from prosecution under this section a defendant must establish by a preponderance of the evidence that he or she had a reasonable belief that the intruder was committing or intended to commit a crime against a person or property in addition to the uninvited entry. This inquiry focuses on the reasonable belief of the occupant, not on the actual conduct of the intruder. People v. McNeese, 892 P.2d 304 (Colo. 1995)."

pasonik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Did anyone else notice the ADT sign in the front yard? Wouldn't the alarm have gone off if she was breaking in through the basement window? Merry Chistmas everyone!

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Knock, call, text or get somebody who can.
    No need to sneak in.
    Esp in a gun home.

I guess "don't sneak out" doesn't mean "don't sneak out".

Terrible deal, but damnit, why can't today's kids understand an absolute?

Society tells them to challenge everything, well...............there ya go!

I'm thinking today's kids have been challenging everything they thought they could get away since the invention of today's kids. Me thinks Shakespeare wasn't the first person to dream up kids sneaking around against their parents wishes.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Did everyone listen to the dispatch recording? She not only came rolling in at 0600 (i will presume well after curfew) and was entering the house through a window.

Sad day fore sure.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    And absolutely should be shot.

But what if they just want food and not to harm you? How will we ever know if they pose a threat if we just shoot them for climbing through a window?!?!

Except when it's your 14 year old step daughter sneaking back into her mom's house after a night out. Identify your ******* target!

No. She should have been in bed. The step-father was simply protecting his home. You weren't there and you don't know the layout of the home. You don't know how much time he had from getting off the phone with 911 to having to decide to shoot at an intruder or not. You don't know if he was taking cover in case the intruder was armed.

If you simply take the story and take out the fact that the intruder was his step daughter, did he do anything wrong? No. It's like every other home invasion where the intruder is killed and we all call it a good shoot.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Except when it's your 14 year old step daughter sneaking back into her mom's house after a night out. Identify your ******* target!

He was being sarcastic. Shay has already made it clear that he expects us to know things we could not possibly know without either interviewing the intruder or waiting on the intruder to physically attack first (i.e., demanding that we KNOW the intruders intent).

That is so much better than merely stating "identify your target".

Merry Christmas...

Perhaps he is suggesting that we should only shoot reprobates?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Except when it's your 14 year old step daughter sneaking back into her mom's house after a night out. Identify your (needless cursing) target!

Sounds to to me like he did ID his target, it was the person breaking into his home through a window... I would wager there is a reason no arrest has been made, and I would wager it is because the cops and DA are thinking he can meet the preponderance standard in the statute.

Top Bottom