• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    After reading the story. Yeah, this is absolutely bull****. The man was legally exercising his right and was arrested for "possession of a dangerous weapon? Completely bull****. This is stupid.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    May not be charged...

James Mapes may not be charged for bringing openly displayed gun into movie theater - Denver News - The Latest Word

Still, he doesn't express regret for bringing a gun with him -- although he concedes that "if I'd been thinking about it, I probably would have worn a different shirt."

He has no reason to express regret. That's what you do when you've done something wrong. He was exercising his rights, and at the moment, I can't think of any time that that carries the expectation, let alone the demand of an apology or any regret.

Regretting exercising our natural, Constitutional, and Creator-granted rights is what's gotten us to the point where we don't do it as a society.

In this situation, I might tell them, "I'm sorry you chose to get frightened." or "I'm sorry you chose to abuse and misuse the power of government to attempt to veto my rights." But apologize or regret being prepared to defend the life, liberty, and property you have?

I'm sorry you seem to value your rights so little.

Blessings,
    Bill

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    May not be charged...

James Mapes may not be charged for bringing openly displayed gun into movie theater - Denver News - The Latest Word

Still, he doesn't express regret for bringing a gun with him -- although he concedes that "if I'd been thinking about it, I probably would have worn a different shirt."

Express regret???!! why the hell should he express regret? you really don't have any kind of back bone do you? Again, by your logic we should all be full of regret every time we get behind the wheel!

Just because one dip **** murdered innocent people doesn't mean that we should all cower.

Now I'm going to tell you to grow some ******* balls!

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    I'm sorry you seem to value your rights so little.

Blessings,
    Bill

It is not a matter of little value for my rights. It is a matter of how I see the appropriate and best manner to further the gains we have made in the last few years. More and more states have come around and now are shall issue rather than may or not issue. There is even legislation being put forth to have nation wide reciprocity. I wish to see that trend continue.

To frighten a theater full of people by displaying a handgun within days of a mass shooting in a nearby theater is not productive in my opinion. It will only give fuel to the fears of the uninitiated and the unfriendly media.

BTW, I refuse to call the folks in that theater sheep, they are moms and dads, kids and friends, families. Lets not denigrate them just because they do not see things as we wish they would.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    A question for our ingo LEOs, what would you do in a similar situation where you are called to a theater and find out that no laws are actually being broken?
    I realize that you would have to remove the person from the theater at the managments request.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    A question for our ingo LEOs, what would you do in a similar situation where you are called to a theater and find out that no laws are actually being broken?
    I realize that you would have to remove the person from the theater at the managments request.

A certain LEO here, has already indicated that if he felt the person "deserved it", he would put the individual through the system.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Dude, I'll be honest. I probably, in that situation (being an officer in Colorado, so close to the Aurora shooting), would have done the exact same thing. Assuming that, officers on scene, weren't exactly sure of the legalities of what the guy was doing. The best thing to do in that situation is not make a "custodial" arrest, and to simply issue a summons (which was done in this case), and let the prosecutor sort it out. Though I doubt that I would have taken the weapon if the guy wasn't out-righted; which kinda doesn't make sense to me.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So in Colorado, a Carry Permit is only good for the County in which it was issued?

EDIT: Colorado has State Pre-Emption laws, how can this guy be considered as breaking the law?

Because their dumb*ss state SC ruled that Denver was allowed to ban conceal and open carry. Much like our dumb*ss state SC ruled that home owners had no right to resist cops who enter their homes illegally.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That IN SC ruling has been "overturned" by the GA.

Did this incident happen in Denver, or in one of its multitudinous suburbs, which do not fall under the jurisdiction of Denver city government proper? Looks like he was arrested in a place called Thornton by the Thornton Police Department.

James Mapes, 48, was arrested for investigation of possession of a dangerous weapon in a liquor and beer establishment.

Say what? Do theatres in CO serve beer?

And I thought he was just cited and allowed to return to the theatre to finish watching his movie.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I'm more worried about concealed carriers now that this made news that someone who open carried can get into the news like this. I wonder who's going to be the unlucky guy that gets this kind of harassment for conceal carry.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The same county type of law was in Aurora, but they never enforced it because it preempted the state law, not to mention the 2A. Charges will be dropped I'm sure, but they had to make everyone feel safe.

This is why you need to CC in theaters now for sure. He didn't get to finish watching the movie when he was arrested, and I bet they didn't even give him a refund. I don't want to be inconvenienced like that, well, unless I can sue them and receive punitive moneys.

:)

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    but they had to make everyone feel safe.

:)

Feel safe? I don't feel safe going out to my car at night to get my bag I forgot and my car is 20 feet from my front door.

All these making others feel comfortable, feel good laws and events. I shake my head at it.

Top Bottom