• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    Mapes was issued a citation for displaying a weapon and alarming another person after about 40 people were evacuated

Whoa Whoa!! Is that even legit?? I'm no expert on law so please correct me, but that sounds like a BS charge. Also does anyone know if the state specifies OC or CC in their LTCH? I'm assuming that since this guy stated he has been carrying for a while, their law is the same as ours?

Edit:

Nevermind should've read the article twice

Mapes told the Denver Post (http://bit.ly/MWwHHA) he has a concealed weapons permit issued by the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Whoa Whoa!! Is that even legit?? I'm no expert on law so please correct me, but that sounds like a BS charge. Also does anyone know if the state specifies OC or CC in their LTCH? I'm assuming that since this guy stated he has been carrying for a while, their law is the same as ours?

"This case is under review by our city prosecutor," said Matt Barnes, a Thornton Police Department spokesman, on Monday.

"We are an open carry state," Barnes said. "We look at the open carry law and how it relates to this incident. He felt he was exercising his right to bear arms in an open carry state, and we are currently reviewing that with our prosecutors."

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    To walk into a theater with a visible firearm of any kind a week after 70 people were shot in a theater, in the same state, well that is foolishness at best. It also suggests nothing more than attention seeking. Pretty juvenile if you ask me.

He asked for trouble and got it. Legal or not. He may claim he was standing up for his rights, I'm not buying it. :noway:

I hope they arrested any of those little freaks with color in their hair too. After something like the shooting happens, everyone needs to change their normal behavior.

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    To walk into a theater with a visible firearm of any kind a week after 70 people were shot in a theater, in the same state, well that is foolishness at best. It also suggests nothing more than attention seeking. Pretty juvenile if you ask me.

He asked for trouble and got it. Legal or not. He may claim he was standing up for his rights, I'm not buying it. :noway:

I don't think for a second this guy wasn't making a statement. Look at his shirt. I don't disagree with his statement, nor do I think he was obligated to use more caution regarding the timing and location of his "statement."

I agree the guy was looking for trouble and found it. I just disagree that it was a bad decision. It's a good reminder for the police and public in general that carrying is legal, and that proper people still have rights. What happened in Aurora didn't change the law, and it didn't change the need for law abiding citizens to be allowed to protect themselves and their families.

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    Perhaps if a couple people in the terrible Colorado shooting had shot back at the **cking scum bag wouldn't have killed and shot all those people.
    I think he might have lost is concentrating with bullets hitting HIM too.

I agree with your sentiment, but the reality is that it was illegal to carry a firearm into that theater. As such, I'm more inclined to hope that no law abiding gun carrier was carrying a gun in that theater that day. It's bad enough when we're seen as criminals when we're not breaking the law.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    It's pretty sad when jittery, uniformed people are going to determine how laws are applied to someone who was not violating a law.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    How dare this man carry into a movie theatre! Movies are the safest place in the world. The only senseless violence is on the big screen, and since this man was armed, in his head.

Seriously! Whoever actually enacted that arrest, should have to testify ij court as to why a law abiding citizen was not only bother but arrested.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    How dare this man carry into a movie theatre! Movies are the safest place in the world. The only senseless violence is on the big screen, and since this man was armed, in his head.

Seriously! Whoever actually enacted that arrest, should have to testify ij court as to why a law abiding citizen was not only bother but arrested.

Probably because he broke the law...

Colorado man arrested for openly carrying gun in movie theater

He's going to have a battle, I'm thinking. Hopefully it will go to the top and be overturned, the law that is...

I wondering if he simply didn't know the law, or if he has ulterior motives.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

..and THIS is why we need Neg Rep back :rolleyes:

So every time a crime happens, law abiding citizens need to stop doing anything that remotely resembles any aspect of that crime? :dunno:

Makes perfect sense..

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Probably because he broke the law...

Colorado man arrested for openly carrying gun in movie theater

He's going to have a battle, I'm thinking. Hopefully it will go to the top and be overturned, the law that is...

I wondering if he simply didn't know the law, or if he has ulterior motives.

So in Colorado, a Carry Permit is only good for the County in which it was issued?

EDIT: Colorado has State Pre-Emption laws, how can this guy be considered as breaking the law?

Last edited:

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    So in Colorado, a Carry Permit is only good for the County in which it was issued?

EDIT: Colorado has State Pre-Emption laws, how can this guy be considered as breaking the law?

It appears that the law prevents localities from making laws on government property, but does not stop them from enforcing "no gun signs" as law.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    This is absolutely ridiculous. People are actually so stupid that they evacuated NINE theaters because one man was legally carrying a gun?! He was sitting in the theater for 15 minutes before police came to save everyone? Seriously? These people should all be required to take mandatory "therapy" to teach them the real rules of guns and laws of their state.

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." George Carlin

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    It appears that the law prevents localities from making laws on government property, but does not stop them from enforcing "no gun signs" as law.

But the link Kutnupe posted says:
    Section 38-237(b)(1) of Thornton's Municipal Code, under which Mapes was booked, reads: "It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly possess on or about the person or within such person's immediate reach any dangerous weapon."

State Preemption, in theory would over-ride this..
    ..also, according to Handgunlaw.us the only gun signs that have force of law are locations specifically mentioned in the Colorado Code.

Also, do we know that the Theater even HAS a posted No Guns signs? :dunno:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I bet there is a lot more to the story. I would guess he was asked to leave and he did not. And that would be his fault. If there were no signs posted about weapons not being allowed and they just arrested him then I say he was wronged big time!

After the Colorado shootings everyone is jumpy. I hear so much crap about how bad people carry guns. Most of my friends don't know I carry. I listened to a 10 minute rant yesterday from one of my friends about the evil of guns. I asked her if she though I was a bad person and she responded no of course not. I lifted my shirt a little so she could see my pistol and she was speechless. After that we talked about gun ownership and the right to carry and about gun safety. I am pretty sure I changed her opinion.

Top Bottom