• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SockMonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    We don't know anything except what the reporters are telling us, and we all know reporters generally only give the details that will get the most attention. I also know that in a discussion in the breakroom at work a couple of days after the shooting, a couple of other people expressed the same sentiment as me...I can't believe no one else was carrying and could have fired back, perhaps reducing the number of victims. My co-workers also openly spoke about their own firearms and that they legally carry them on a daily basis. At least those I work with will exercise their rights and at least attempt to protect those around them.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    It amazes me how many people are coming in here saying the exact same thing. "Oh it was legal he had a LTCH." "Preemption blah blah." the fact is none of us know if what he was doing was legal considering the prosecutors don't even freaking know yet. Yes, there should be no question, but as it stands, there are a lot of questions. Can we stop with the dramatics already?!

But the law regarding preemption (18-12-105.6) and license to carry are important in the discussion. You're right that we don't yet know the whole story. But I can say that as reported I see no law he violated.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    To walk into a theater with a visible firearm of any kind a week after 70 people were shot in a theater, in the same state, well that is foolishness at best. It also suggests nothing more than attention seeking. Pretty juvenile if you ask me.

He asked for trouble and got it. Legal or not. He may claim he was standing up for his rights, I'm not buying it. :noway:

I agree with this ^^^^^!!!!

However he shouldnt have been arrested. But geez use your brain.

EDIT: Dont get me wrong Im all for standing up for our gun rights, but in this rare situation a little compasion for others
    in the wake of this terrible event, maby a little discretion would be in order.
    He should have concealed his weapon.

Jimmy

Last edited:

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I agree with this ^^^^^!!!!

However he shouldnt have been arrested. But geez use your brain.

Jimmy

Jesus, another one! read my earlier post and grow a damn spine!!!

People that are more concerned with what other people think and being PC are part of what is wrong with this country!!!!

executing your god-given right is NOT LOOKING FOR TROUBLE!

Last edited:

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    We don't know anything except what the reporters are telling us, and we all know reporters generally only give the details that will get the most attention. I also know that in a discussion in the breakroom at work a couple of days after the shooting, a couple of other people expressed the same sentiment as me...I can't believe no one else was carrying and could have fired back, perhaps reducing the number of victims. My co-workers also openly spoke about their own firearms and that they legally carry them on a daily basis. At least those I work with will exercise their rights and at least attempt to protect those around them.

Wrong thread. This isn't about the shooting. This is about a guy who was exercising his right to bear arms and was arrested for it.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    It amazes me how many people are coming in here saying the exact same thing. "Oh it was legal he had a LTCH." "Preemption blah blah." the fact is none of us know if what he was doing was legal considering the prosecutors don't even freaking know yet. Yes, there should be no question, but as it stands, there are a lot of questions. Can we stop with the dramatics already?!

He didn't have an LTCH he has a CHP. Said CHP is not needed to open carry in Colorado so it doesn't matter.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    But the law regarding preemption (18-12-105.6) and license to carry are important in the discussion. You're right that we don't yet know the whole story. But I can say that as reported I see no law he violated.
    Again, "by what's reported" means little to nothing. I'll let the attorneys figure out their own law before I go jaw-jackin about something I litterally know nothing more than a few news articles about.
    He didn't have an LTCH he has a CHP. Said CHP is not needed to open carry in Colorado so it doesn't matter.
    Again, how about we wait for the lawyers to figure out how their crazy laws mingle with each other before we go passing judgement. Clearly, this case is going to set some precedent and it will probably get very interesting.

(and ps, again, drop the drama. Who gives a :poop: what their license is called?! Are we gonna have to go back to calling it a Larry?!)

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Again, "by what's reported" means little to nothing. I'll let the attorneys figure out their own law before I go jaw-jackin about something I litterally know nothing more than a few news articles about.

Again, how about we wait for the lawyers to figure out how their crazy laws mingle with each other before we go passing judgement. Clearly, this case is going to set some precedent and it will probably get very interesting.

(and ps, again, drop the drama. Who gives a :poop: what their license is called?! Are we gonna have to go back to calling it a Larry?!)

Doesnt matter what its called, doesnt matter what the lawyers say, OC is legal without a license in Colorado.. and since when has ANYONE on INGO needed to know all the facts before posting about something? :laugh:

brian.derby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    New here, but this is ridiculous. I carry all the time, and my wife who was against me carrying was thoroughly convinced that it is a good thing after a road rage incident in which I was forced to draw on the guy sent him screaming back to his car. No shots fired thankfully. My wife commented on the CO. shooting such, if there HAD been a law abiding gun carrying person in that theater, this guy would not have been able to do as much as he did.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    New here, but this is ridiculous. I carry all the time, and my wife who was against me carrying was thoroughly convinced that it is a good thing after a road rage incident in which I was forced to draw on the guy sent him screaming back to his car. No shots fired thankfully. My wife commented on the CO. shooting such, if there HAD been a law abiding gun carrying person in that theater, this guy would not have been able to do as much as he did.

I do hope that in this scenario where you drew your sidearm on a road rager that you feared for your life, or you believed he was attempting to carjack you.

Otherwise your reaction, well, might not have been legal even if it worked.

:dunno:

SandHill84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Camby/Mooresville area
    My wife commented on the CO. shooting such, if there HAD been a law abiding gun carrying person in that theater, this guy would not have been able to do as much as he did.

I've tried playing the scenario out if anyone in the theatre had been carrying. I don't think it would have made much difference and could have potentially added to chaos by hitting an innocent. Think about the situation. (1) It was dark (2) The guy: (a) Had element of suprise; (b) Set off tear gas; (c) Was body armored out the wazoo; (3) theatre was complete chaos.

Ever been exposed to gas? Sucks and is disabling if you never been hit with it before. Not sure what he used but first time I was hit with it during basic training it really made me appreciate my mask all the greater. You get used to it after prolonged exposure over years. Even then still made me wince on first whiff.

Maybe person could have made difference if your SEAL, Delta or FBI HRT and practice close quarter skills in shooting house a lot under different conditions. Unfortunately, for us normal joes who don't train like that, wouldn't have helped.

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    “No Firearm” signs in Colorado have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically
    mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in a place not
    specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you refuse to
    leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you are asked
    to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who may have
    been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you even if you
    are within the law.

Or, perhaps, someone might educate the police in basic, common law issues -- like trespass -- before they get their frikkin' badges?

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I've tried playing the scenario out if anyone in the theatre had been carrying. I don't think it would have made much difference and could have potentially added to chaos by hitting an innocent. Think about the situation. (1) It was dark (2) The guy: (a) Had element of suprise; (b) Set off tear gas; (c) Was body armored out the wazoo; (3) theatre was complete chaos.

Ever been exposed to gas? Sucks and is disabling if you never been hit with it before. Not sure what he used but first time I was hit with it during basic training it really made me appreciate my mask all the greater. You get used to it after prolonged exposure over years. Even then still made me wince on first whiff.

Maybe person could have made difference if your SEAL, Delta or FBI HRT and practice close quarter skills in shooting house a lot under different conditions. Unfortunately, for us normal joes who don't train like that, wouldn't have helped.

Stick around, Sir. I think you will find that there are more than a few of us Average Joe's here on INGO that do train like that and I would wager there are people like that in Colorado as well. I don't say this to sound macho, it's just that I know there are folks that do. Also, you'd be surprised at what you are capable of once training and adrenaline kicks in. The human body is very remarkable, limited mostly by the mind that controls it. When fight or flight takes over, amazing things can happen.
    Of course, we're Monday morning QB'ing, but Average Joe and Josephines to the impossible quite often, so I won't be one to discount them.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Maybe you didn't read all the previous pages.
    Here's a recap.
    . Any chance is better than no chance.
    . Bad guys almost always have element of surprise.
    . Most reports say it was just smoke, not tear gas. If smoke was a magic bullet, everybody'd use it. Smoke works against bad guy also.
    . Wasn't full armor. Debate if he had any armor. Even if he had a standard vest, a shot ot two will put him off his stride. So will arm, head, neck, leg shots that miss the chest.
    . He has disadvanteges also. Has to cover wide area. He had multiple people within 21 feet.
    . He had gun jams.
    An aggressive victim is harder to kill than a soft victim. Arizona shooter was overcome during a break in shooter. So could aurora.
    . Colorado isn't asking for more gun control. Areas that ALREADY have strong control are asking for more.

Top Bottom