• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Pretty sure they also have state preemption that nullified Aurora's local ordinance. Unless the theatre is on government owned land - or he had been trespassed out previously..

Once again, private property...

My (quick) reading of the pertinent CO laws says that the preemption does not include private property and the local ordinance allowing private property to post signage with the weight of law stands.

IMO CO law is VERY confusing in this area. Even the prosecutors don't know what to charge our OCer with. Probably because he wasn't breaking ANY laws.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Once again, private property...

My (quick) reading of the pertinent CO laws says that the preemption does not include private property and the local ordinance allowing private property to post signage with the weight of law stands.

IMO CO law is VERY confusing in this area. Even the prosecutors don't know what to charge our OCer with. Probably because he wasn't breaking ANY laws.

According to what I have read on other sites like COGO and HandgunLaw.us, signs only hold weight of law in certain pre-defined places. Handgunlaw.us says:

“No Firearm” signs in Colorado have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically
    mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in a place not
    specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you refuse to
    leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you are asked
    to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who may have
    been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you even if you
    are within the law.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You know I love it when the prosecutors have to figure the law out. Damm things are so complicated that lawyers have to figure them out.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Signs do not hold weight of law in Colorado. Trespass isn't even the issue. He was cited for Carrying a firearm in a manner calculated to cause alarm. Which of course is unenforceable do to CO preemption.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    This man appears to be following Colorado law. I saw this story on Yahoo and was quite upset with the lact of real reporting. They just assume that guns=bad, and that carrying one must be illegal. They glossed over the fact he has a valid permit!

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    It amazes me how many people are coming in here saying the exact same thing. "Oh it was legal he had a LTCH." "Preemption blah blah." the fact is none of us know if what he was doing was legal considering the prosecutors don't even freaking know yet. Yes, there should be no question, but as it stands, there are a lot of questions. Can we stop with the dramatics already?!

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    It amazes me how many people are coming in here saying the exact same thing. "Oh it was legal he had a LTCH." "Preemption blah blah." the fact is none of us know if what he was doing was legal considering the prosecutors don't even freaking know yet. Yes, there should be no question, but as it stands, there are a lot of questions. Can we stop with the dramatics already?!

Well, that just does not sound like any fun at all :D

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

Who pissed in your cornflakes?

BTW, he didnt have an LTCH, he is in Colorado, not Indiana...

:cool:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I am shocked and appalled.

I don't know why, but it seemed appropriate since White Castle has been invoked.

Top Bottom