• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    In fairness - the USS Vincennes incident happened, was CLEARLY an accident, and was accompanied by an IMMEDIATE acknowledgement of the accident , profuse apology and reparations, as I recall. That's not what I'm hearing from Putin - even though he indirectly appears to have caused this. We aren't hearing it from the separatists either.

In this case, it's true that we were not directly targeted. It would be fair, in my mind, for the affected nations to funnel a crap ton of aid to the Ukraine and turn our back while they used a little of it on the separatists. I think it also fair for us to trim Putin's beak a little - he was funding this effort and hasn't exactly come clean. So if we feel like tightening the sanctions around his cojones, then I'm ok with it. I have to give Obama credit - his news conference today was about correct for the situation, no matter what I may think of him otherwise. The Dutch and the Malaysians are probably SERIOUSLY pissed right about now. I imagine that they are willing to donate to the cause...
    I think you are being more than a little generous in regard to our response on the Vincennes incident. I do not believe we ever admitted fault to this day and we paid relatively paltry reparations only after being sued. We also later admitted that the initial official version had at best gross omissions in it.

It is also my understanding that we have never apologized, despite there being clear gross negligence on the part of probably the then-most sophisticated cruiser in the world being unable to distinguish between a climbing airbus with a civilian transponder 11 miles out and a diving f-14.

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Vice News had people on the ground around the crash site. There's a graphic footage warning on it for a reason.

[video=youtube_share;Px2rfWBW4wg]http://youtu.be/Px2rfWBW4wg[/video]

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Just heard on the radio that a separatist commander said the bodies may have been dead for several days before the plane was shot down "drained of blood and wreaking of decomposition". Wow.

Conspiracy theories in 3...2...1...

Bush and Cheney up to their old tricks again I see.........Looks like they may have burned through that $50,000 uptick their combined 401K's got after 9/11.....

In purple ofcourse.....

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    What did the US do when the Russians shot down KAL007? The sainted Ronny was in command back then and we did what?

Ronald Reagan was never Sainted, that is a Religious term used by the Catholic Church and he is not Catholic (though he was good friend with Pope John Paul).

[video=youtube;9VA4W1wDMAk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VA4W1wDMAk[/video]

[video=youtube;zJ9zQKxDPAo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ9zQKxDPAo[/video]

These two videos show the stark difference between the two......

Last edited:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Vice News had people on the ground around the crash site. There's a graphic footage warning on it for a reason.

[video=youtube_share;Px2rfWBW4wg]http://youtu.be/Px2rfWBW4wg[/video]

The guy at 3:43 just shows that there are good people who want to do the right thing all over the world.

Ronald Reagan was never Sainted, that is a Religious term used by the Catholic Church and he is not Catholic (though he was good friend with Pope John Paul).

[video=youtube;9VA4W1wDMAk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VA4W1wDMAk[/video]

[video=youtube;zJ9zQKxDPAo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ9zQKxDPAo[/video]

These two videos show the stark difference between the two......

FWIW, Reagan gave that speech 5 days after the event.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I think you are being more than a little generous in regard to our response on the Vincennes incident. I do not believe we ever admitted fault to this day and we paid relatively paltry reparations only after being sued. We also later admitted that the initial official version had at best gross omissions in it.

It is also my understanding that we have never apologized, despite there being clear gross negligence on the part of probably the then-most sophisticated cruiser in the world being unable to distinguish between a climbing airbus with a civilian transponder 11 miles out and a diving f-14.

I'm going off memory to be sure. But I DO recall us admitting that it was an accident, even to the point of the footage of the guys on the Vincennes firing and celebrating the hit, before they realize what happened. That WAS shown on national TV and I'm sure world wide. That said - you could be right. I'll bet we could find that footage even today.

You have to admit that Putin isn't even trying to do that in this case. If I was the Dutch, I would surely be tempted to send a message that even the cats and dogs in that area of Ukraine would understand.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I'm going off memory to be sure. But I DO recall us admitting that it was an accident, even to the point of the footage of the guys on the Vincennes firing and celebrating the hit, before they realize what happened. That WAS shown on national TV and I'm sure world wide. That said - you could be right. I'll bet we could find that footage even today.

You have to admit that Putin isn't even trying to do that in this case. If I was the Dutch, I would surely be tempted to send a message that even the cats and dogs in that area of Ukraine would understand.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not comparing us to Putin or anything like that. That said, IMO we did not exactly embrace our responsibilities in that incident. We certainly did not intend to shoot down a passenger airliner, but it was some horribly sloppy/reckless behavior that got us there.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    oddly, watching reports out of the area, Joe SixPack in the area seems to be under the impression that the Ukranians shot it down. While the rest of the free world knows dang well who is responsible. A LOT of disinformation going on. After this, though, I don't want to see anybody here holding up RT television or any Russian (Putin paid for) source as fact. After this, it MUST be considered purely propaganda by any reasonable observer...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Not sure about the hostilities in the area, or what our business was in Iranian waters. Accurately identifying your target is pretty basic though.

The hostilities in the area was the Iran-Iraq War. Iranian gun boats had fired on USN earlier in the day. USN lacked VHF radios on many vessels at time.

USN attempted to identify, no response from Iranian Air.

Iran Air Flight 655 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    It would be 'nice' if the Liar-In-Chief would grow a pair and take some actual action.

Alas, he won't. UNLESS, of course, it's to release top terrorists back into the theater. :facepalm:

Top Bottom