• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Oh, we should get the Dutch to fight a ground war in Ukraine? And fund it? We've already given the Ukraine over $1 Billion that we don't have. Now we should give money to the Dutch to fight a ground war in the Ukraine. That worked out so well the last time major powers got involved in that region.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/28/world/europe/senate-approves-1-billion-in-aid-for-ukraine.html

The Dutch are more likely to be able to build a coalition than we are. Because of the lack of comprehensive, coherhent... oh you know the rest. :)

We've pledged $1B, but haven't given it yet. And besides, if we do give it, but don't also help them defend themselves, we've then just given $1B to Putin. That doesn't make much sense, either.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    There is going to be no "coalition of the willing" (Hmmm...where have we heard that term before) to take on Russian backed insurgents in the Ukraine. The EU will never go that route. It's hard enough to get them to back substantial sanctions, due to their reliance on Russian gas. It's just not going to happen. Our options are limited and no-one's going to start a war with Russia. Not even a proxy war. That's just insane.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Insane - a year ago, who was predicting Russian annexation of the Crimean? ;)

It seems to me that there would be a coalition - including the UK and Germany - willing to assist in clearing out the pro-Russian separatists now that they've shot down a civilian airliner. That could be a game changer, if there is the will.

Alas, I recognize there likely is not. So, we are only disagreeing in an intellectual debate kind of way.

A year from now, most of eastern Ukraine will be Russian - by culture and border.

A year after that, maybe all of it, at least on the Moscow-published maps.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Propaganda machine....my aunt fanny.

If, as it becomes increasingly more obvious, pro Russian separatists shot the plane down....what propaganda are we talking about? The plane was shot down. The first, loudest and most in-credible propaganda I heard about this incident was from Russia claiming Ukraine did it on purpose....for some reason they couldn't articulate.

Assuming what the evidence is showing, the people who did it are supported by Russia pursuing Russian goals. Is that propaganda, or simply a recitation of their mission statement? The only question is whether they knew it was civilian, and I doubt they did.

I don't get the "propaganda machine" stuff. This happened. It's not a fairy tale made up to scare the west.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Plus, they had to diesel-chain-saw the cockpit in half to make sure there weren't any survivors trapped in there.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Vice seems to be the only news org that can do anything. They have a better view than the others and this latest dispatch shows a pretty decent picture of who's actually holding things up and interfering. Paints a pretty convincing picture of who doesn't want the truth to come out.

[video=youtube_share;lNXf_HncM20]http://youtu.be/lNXf_HncM20[/video]

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Vice seems to be the only news org that can do anything. They have a better view than the others and this latest dispatch shows a pretty decent picture of who's actually holding things up and interfering. Paints a pretty convincing picture of who doesn't want the truth to come out.
    Tru dat. If half the world's media can "imbed" reporters in with active combat units, why is so hard to cover this story?

In response to the PM of the People's Republic of Donetsk (or whatever the official name was), all I can say is this:

th

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    In that case, I would have him put together a comprehensive, coherent foreign policy. I'd settle for coherent. I'd probably even settle for just rational.

Practically, speaking, I would go back to my other post. Push forward for the missile defense shield in Eastern Europe. Provide direct assistance in the Ukraine for them to protect their borders. (Domestically, we need to get that under control, too, but that's a different thread.)

There are a ton of options - including backchanneling support to the Netherlands to push for a coalition of the willing to help Ukraine impose peace. The Dutch have every reason to be righteously indignant. They should take the lead.

Your super awesome foreign policy just got the US into a war with a superpower and put missile defense weapons in the bands of seperatists and/or Russia. Bravo

I guess being the world police does come at a high cost

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Your super awesome foreign policy just got the US into a war with a superpower and put missile defense weapons in the bands of seperatists and/or Russia. Bravo
    How do you figure? Do you really think Russia will push into an obvious war? Or, to put it another way, the reality is we are already in a proxy war. Several actually. Back to the Cold War Future.

The lack of a foreign policy paves the way for Russia to re-extend its boundaries into Europe, relatively peacefully. I don't think the US should be ok with that.

Top Bottom