• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I've said this before about the accuracy of these devices. I can put a few tracers into the mag and pull ~20 of 30 rounds into a car door at 200 yards. If you don't think this is an effective deterrent to a mob of brain eating zombies coming for you in a SHTF scenario I can't educate you further.

A little tidbit from a Kosovo story I read. Armed thugs held the bottom of an exit ramp and were roughing up & stealing everything from everyone tryng to pass. The person in the story had valuables he didn't want to relinquish & young kids to protect. He stopped at the top of the exit ramp. Thugs lobbed rounds at him (200-300 M) so he returned fire with a fully automatic weapon nailing more than a couple. The thugs scattered like cockroaches. He was able to get himself and family past their roadblock and on to safety. If you think something like this won't go down in a SHTF scenario here I can't educate you further. A bumpstock might be the only device you have to perform this type of task.

How long would it take you to put the same number of rounds through the same car door with aimed semi-automatic fire - and would you still need the tracers

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I hate vbulletin. Because VB says **** like, **** you jamil. your token has expired. So all that **** you just wrote which was TL;DR anyway, you're just gonna lose it. Because **** you.

Deep breath. Breath in.....Out.....Ooooohm. Calming thoughts. Sigh.

Bug, I'll get back to this later if I still have a keyboard. I kinda want to rip the keys off from it right now.

I had no idea that it was even possible to "time out" while typing a post. Now I will say that I frequently "time out" myself when reading a post, but that's a manual process and usually consists of me saying to myself, "Screw it. I'm not reading all this ****." :):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Okay Bug, here goes. You hit on a lot of different things, none of which really addresses the problem I actually have with what Trump did. Maybe it's because we have some differences in worldview. You seem to be a bit more authoritarian. I'm more libertarian. You're a full-time Trumper. I'm a part time critic. I'll not speculate any further than that.

I've said before, not in so many words, that bumpstocks aren't my hill to die on either. I don't believe bump stocks are protected by the 2nd Amendment. They're just an accessory. If congress moved to ban just them in clear language, I'd have no problem with the constitutionality of it. My only problem with such a law would be my ideological opposition to banning stuff. If I were grand poohbah, I'd ban banning stuff.

As long as it does not ban actual firearms in common use, it's within the power of Congress to enact such a law. It is NOT within the power of the executive branch to enact a law not passed by congress. Redefining a term clearly defined in a law passed by congress is beyond the regulatory power of the executive branch.

You talked a lot about what you perceive of me complaining about the "why" of it. You even implied some attributions of complaints I didn't actually make. I'm not seeking out interpretations which make Trump look worse. I've defended Trump on a lot of things, for some of which you've rep'd me. I am not a Trump hater. I am an authority critic. Trump has shown an exploitative disregard for law his entire career. He does what he thinks needs done, whether it's legal or not, and then tries to win in court.

Why he forces the outcomes he wants doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if he does it for selfish or benevolent reasons. It's THAT he forces outcomes that is bothersome, especially now that he's the POTUS. Unconstrained audacity by government is dangerous. Maybe you like that he's audacious against our opponents, and I have to admit, I like it when he does the right thing audaciously. But I think it'd be great if we could agree that audacity can go too far. The executive branch making law goes too far even if it's your guy doing it. Defining a plastic non-firearm accessory as a machine gun goes too far. The justifications you've made aren't what the BATFE interpretation says. It says these devices are machine guns. Doesn't say they become machine guns when attached to an actual firearm. It says they're machine guns. Even though bump stocks don't have a single component that makes them a firearm. They're now classified as machine guns.

The courts so far have declined to take up the issue. I suspect they won't be too eager to strike this down because they'll look at it like you and so many other people do. Bump stocks aren't their hill either. It seems obvious enough that it's even the outcome they want. A lot of people think that people shouldn't get to own devices that help a semiauto simulate automatic fire. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think the courts are going to stop this ban. And that will embolden this and future administrations to overstep their regulatory power more. Getting more "conservative" people on the bench doesn't matter. A chamber-o-commerce authoritarian style traditional conservative will uphold the ban because people shouldn't be free to use such dangerous devices and the executive branch should get to say so.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Uh.....there is a window that should open and allows you to sign back in and not loose the post. At least on my lap top. Not sure about a mobile device.

It didn't log me out. It redirected me to a page that said the token expired. Usually when this happens, I can hit the back button, reload the page, and then the text that I submitted will reappear in the texbox. But this time it didn't. I'm not sure why.

I had no idea that it was even possible to "time out" while typing a post. Now I will say that I frequently "time out" myself when reading a post, but that's a manual process and usually consists of me saying to myself, "Screw it. I'm not reading all this ****." :):

There are a couple of different "time out" scenarios that would be common. One is when the session expires. When you visit a page after logging in, a "session" is created, which usually has a duration. Every time you click a link on a page, the timer restarts. The session ends automatically if you haven't visited a page within the session duration, at which point you'll be logged out. I don't think Vbulletin sessions time out if you check the "keep me logged in" checkbox when you log in. I did, so I don't think that's the cause.

The other thing is a token that is often used on web pages which have submittable forms, like a forum post. These tokens are often used to protect against cross site request forgery exploits. These tokens usually have a timestamp. So if you leave a page open for long enough, and then try to submit a post containing an expired token, you'll be redirected to a page like the one I saw.

I think this is what happened in this case. I started to write out the post, then my wife told me it's my turn to make dinner. So after dinner I came back and finished my post without first refreshing the page (which would refresh the token). I think the page sat idle for maybe a couple of hours.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It didn't log me out. It redirected me to a page that said the token expired. Usually when this happens, I can hit the back button, reload the page, and then the text that I submitted will reappear in the texbox. But this time it didn't. I'm not sure why.

There are a couple of different "time out" scenarios that would be common. One is when the session expires. When you visit a page after logging in, a "session" is created, which usually has a duration. Every time you click a link on a page, the timer restarts. The session ends automatically if you haven't visited a page within the session duration, at which point you'll be logged out. I don't think Vbulletin sessions time out if you check the "keep me logged in" checkbox when you log in. I did, so I don't think that's the cause.

The other thing is a token that is often used on web pages which have submittable forms, like a forum post. These tokens are often used to protect against cross site request forgery exploits. These tokens usually have a timestamp. So if you leave a page open for long enough, and then try to submit a post containing an expired token, you'll be redirected to a page like the one I saw.

I think this is what happened in this case. I started to write out the post, then my wife told me it's my turn to make dinner. So after dinner I came back and finished my post without first refreshing the page (which would refresh the token). I think the page sat idle for maybe a couple of hours.
    Oh, okay, that second scenario does sound likely. I've had that happen to me on other sites, just not this one.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Dinner! Hrmph! Here I thought I had raised such weighty issues that the answering of them left you lost in thought for hours :dunno:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Dinner! Hrmph! Here I thought I had raised such weighty issues that the answering of them left you lost in thought for hours :dunno:

No, I wrote out a post saying essentially what I said above. I was so pissed about losing it I just put off rewriting it until this morning.

I made Pizza. When it's my turn I always make the easy stuff.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    No, I wrote out a post saying essentially what I said above. I was so pissed about losing it I just put off rewriting it until this morning.

Me too. If it comes in a bag, box or can with directions, I'm a chef.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

When you're a ChemE eventually you realize it's all easy stuff in cooking. The right amounts of the right reactants plus the right amount of heat equals delicious food, and the reaction rates are pretty slow and most temperatures never get much above the boiling point of water

Given how awful prepared food tastes, the bar for the results has been set pretty low so peeps should have more confidence that they can try anything and it will still be better than the usual fare

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    If you’re going by the “common use” doctrine, the ATFs guess of 520,000 bumpstocks being in the wild should pass muster on that one (however; every gun site I have been on has numerous examples of people’s homebuilt versions on it, and most of the sites had 3d printed ones being cranked out like crazy after vegas, so that number is very low IMHO)

We ALL know the downfalls of automatic fire, however stating that bumpfire stocks are “just accessories” and not covered by 2A is exactly where an anti-gunner would want us to go, admit it has no protection if it is an accessory, the ATF didn’t think so and classified it as a firearm, we just had a CA judge classify magazines as ARMS themselves, quit playing their game. 2A applies to any blade, bludgeon, spike, projectile, self defense item, etc.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    If you’re going by the “common use” doctrine, the ATFs guess of 520,000 bumpstocks being in the wild should pass muster on that one (however; every gun site I have been on has numerous examples of people’s homebuilt versions on it, and most of the sites had 3d printed ones being cranked out like crazy after vegas, so that number is very low IMHO)

We ALL know the downfalls of automatic fire, however stating that bumpfire stocks are “just accessories” and not covered by 2A is exactly where an anti-gunner would want us to go, admit it has no protection if it is an accessory, the ATF didn’t think so and classified it as a firearm, we just had a CA judge classify magazines as ARMS themselves, quit playing their game. 2A applies to any blade, bludgeon, spike, projectile, self defense item, etc.

As dumb as I think bumpstocks are, how exactly is a bumpstock a firearm? It is an accessory. Magazines are accessories. Pistol grips are accessories.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom