Not open for further replies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I thought I could handle cold weather pretty well until a few years ago, we were up in LaPorte for my uncles funeral, and after dinner with some relatives, we decided to go look at Lake Michigan. We went to a small park, near the steak and lube place, there was ice on the lake, and about a forty knot wind blowing straight in off the lake. I had on my heavy Carhartt coat, and I swear It felt like I was just wearing a t shirt! I believe that's the coldest temps I've ever experienced. My wife was actually mad at me for making her get out of the car and walk down to the lake!

Spent the first 6.5 years at the mill working outside off that lake.
    Froze my mustache to my facemask.
    Had my sinus cavity start bleeding from the dry cold, which again froze to the mask.
    Had fun climbing flare stacks.

This is a flare stack
    flare-stack-burning.jpg.cf.jpg

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I thought I could handle cold weather pretty well until a few years ago, we were up in LaPorte for my uncles funeral, and after dinner with some relatives, we decided to go look at Lake Michigan. We went to a small park, near the steak and lube place, there was ice on the lake, and about a forty knot wind blowing straight in off the lake. I had on my heavy Carhartt coat, and I swear It felt like I was just wearing a t shirt! I believe that's the coldest temps I've ever experienced. My wife was actually mad at me for making her get out of the car and walk down to the lake!

You would love ice fishing, especially the way we did it as a kid with no shack or shelter...

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    You would love ice fishing, especially the way we did it as a kid with no shack or shelter...
    I actually did love it when I was younger, but down here in the Ohio valley, not every winter is cold enough to freeze the lakes over, so my experience is limited. As far as now, I probably would enjoy it, as long as I dressed accordingly, and there was beer involved.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    pages and pages with no shooter names.

Look, I've been over in political trying to bait a guy who is implicitly suggesting insurrection and civil war into explicitly advocating them, but so far he hasn't taken the bait.

I can lead this horse to the treason water, but I can't make him drink.

Last edited:

nbunga

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    That's an experience I can live without!

Been there! Pretty nice place all around. I heard the old fella that started the place passed away a while back (maybe a year to two ago?)

He did pass a few years back. Ivan was his name. His wife is still around and running it. Great people. Most of the managers have been there for a long time. Around 20y I think. I deliver there on Fridays and sometimes get hooked up with a box full of frozen leftovers. Awesome stuff! Never actually eaten there though.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Spent the first 6.5 years at the mill working outside off that lake.
    Froze my mustache to my facemask.
    Had my sinus cavity start bleeding from the dry cold, which again froze to the mask.
    Had fun climbing flare stacks.

Didn't spend that long, but from when I used to do industrial cleaning I can sympathize. They had us at a refinery waterblasting outside in Feb on the shore of lake Michigan. They couldn't shut the pumps off because the lines would freeze in under 5 minutes. Another time I was at a Nipsco plant on top of one of their boilers while it was running in Aug during a heatwave doing vac work. I don't miss that job.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom